Moreton Bay Zone draft plan

benno573

Hi all,

i hope this opens a massive can of worms and brings out different people's feelings on the topic.

The Qld government has decided the time is right to do something about the Moreton Bay Marine Park zoning, which will lead to a change in the way we fish and generally use the bay. I personally believe this is long overdue.

different ecosystems exist within moreton bay: reef, rubble, shallow and deep seagrass, shallow and deep silt bottom, mangroves, mud and sand flats. each of these has a vital role in maintaining the biodiversity of the bay, whether as a breeding nursery for larger fish or a habitat for food species of larger fish. as of 2003 (when i was still studying marine science anyway), 6% of the coral reefs, 0.9% of the total seagrass, 0.22% of the mangroves within moreton bay marine park are completely protected. The whitsundays for example, have a 29% protection on vital (alive) coral, and the overall fishing pressure is a hell of a lot less.

basically, i am hoping to hear people's opinion on this topic. i have no idea how to attach a link to this post but the website to visit is below. It shows proposed zones - the major changes being st helena isl, cape moreton, peel, goat, bird isl and myora, cobby island (not passage), the rainbow channel, victoria point, "point lookout", caniapa passage, around the pin bar, maroom and amity banks, a seagrass bed to the north of the rous channel, spitfire and north banks and a few areas further outside, each area vital in some way to the ecology of the bay, feel free to ask about each one, i didn't study it for 4 yrs for nothing!!!!

I'm not here to preach the virtues of the government plan at all (no i don't work for them at all :angry: ), i would change many things about it, but it is a start on the road of protecting the future for sure.

feel free to comment, complain, bitch whatever about what i have written. i only hope through time the bay can be protected so i can take my kids out to catch fish one day.

cheers guys

benno

/>http://www.epa.qld.gov.au/media/parks_and_forests/marine_parks/mbmp/draft_zoning_plan_1.pdf

Something needs to be done and I know the solution is not going to accommodate and please everyone, but I just think they are going about it the wrong way. Banning fishing completely in relatively small sections doesn’t seem to be the best possible way to help fish stocks. Personally I reckon the best solutions would be tougher bag/size limits, and seasonal (I think that’s the word) fishing, where they say for 2009 these species of fish have a bag limit of 0. ???

Joel ;)

There are a few threads discussing this around, th elatest being Ellicat's "nude girls here" one with the details of the petition against the plan.

As a matter of interest, can anyone tell me if the curtain artificial reef is within the planned zones?

Because my answer to the plan would be for fisho's to setup artificial reefs, get them guaranteed as accessible for ever, and stock them! Heavily!

Of course the biggest flaw with the whole plan is you average mum and dad fisho cant really afford a GPS system so they know where the various zones are. The other flaw being to my knowledge there is not a GPS unit that will "alarm" when your approaching a designated area, only a designated spot.

If they are going to set no fishing zones, they should buoy them like they do the out of bounds areas in fresh water impoundments, a marker buoy every 50 metres.

Feral wrote:

There are a few threads discussing this around, th elatest being Ellicat's "nude girls here" one with the details of the petition against the plan.

As a matter of interest, can anyone tell me if the curtain artificial reef is within the planned zones?

Because my answer to the plan would be for fisho's to setup artificial reefs, get them guaranteed as accessible for ever, and stock them! Heavily!

Of course the biggest flaw with the whole plan is you average mum and dad fisho cant really afford a GPS system so they know where the various zones are. The other flaw being to my knowledge there is not a GPS unit that will "alarm" when your approaching a designated area, only a designated spot.

If they are going to set no fishing zones, they should buoy them like they do the out of bounds areas in fresh water impoundments, a marker buoy every 50 metres.

neither curtain or harry a artificial reefs are subject to the plan at this stage. they are being recognised as habitat protection zones which means no trawling and a few minor restrictions on tackle. also, good point on nudgee beach kev, i hadn't even noticed as i am not a regular fisher there. :dry:

an excellent point on the marking of the zones which to date is virtually non-existent. there was a government proposal to improve the actual marking of these zones, i am unsure of the progress of this but i will see if i can find out.

obone - totally agree with the bag/size limit. seasonal fishing per species based on breeding cycle would be a major part of a solution i would create (i.e no take for snapper in may-july, dusky flathead no take august-november etc). a similar system has been in place for barra for many years to great positive effect on wild stocks.

a perfect example of size limits being vital - when they changed the snapper size from 300 to 350mm. before the change, the amount of snapper you would catch in the 280-299mm size was huge (this is under the breeding size for snapper). now, it is quite common to encounter reasonable numbers of 300-349mm fish, which from about 320mm+ are able to breed. a similar change in regular catches was noticed with spotty mackeral with the 500 to 600mm size change. i also think much greater policing and heavier fines for offenders would be a great deterant - in 13 yrs in brisbane i am yet to have my bag checked. it would be very easy to get away with so much and some people try and do.

feral - the gov is unfortunately very reluctant to set up more artificial reefs due to potential pollution problems from paints, oil and alike from the stuff they sink to make them (hello.. tyres don't ever break down???). i admit you have to be careful but i personally agree with you - they want no fish zones, ok fine, how about making some designated fish zones??? :laugh:

G'day benno,

Thanks for bringing up what has been my hobby horse for the past 6 months or so. (No doubt a few members are sick of it and me as well :pinch: :whistle: :unsure:)

1. The government didn't decide to do this - they are doing it to pay back political preferences.

2. I don't believe you can compare the Whitsundays with Moreton Bay - they are dissimilar and house different fish species.

3. You wont be able to take your kids to catch fish (depending in their age). You may be able to take them for a boat ride or for a dive and look. Probably cheaper to go to Underwater World though.

3a.The current plan is the thin edge of the wedge. I consider it to be like the first pair of carp, tilapia, cane toads etc being set free. The protection zones will spread as time passes and there will be no stopping it.

The groups behind and supporting the EPA influence on this are seeking 100% protection in the long term. They are currently seeking 30%-50% closure.

Federally the current coalition government (ALP/Greens coalition) are seeking to "protect" the whole east coast. After which they intend to look at "protection" of rivers and creeks.

4. Recreational fishing effect on fish stocks in the bay is benign according to DPI&F study. In 1997 over half of the recreational catch was released. I don't know what the recent equivalent study revealed, but I will go out on a limb and suggest that catch and release would be significantly higher now.

5. Biodiversity is not necessarily improved by having no go zones. The reverse can happen.

6. Stock "spillover" is minimal for many species, so actually not catching them will not increase their numbers or provide for other areas to be populated.

I have some links and info to support what I have said above but don't have time today to provide them for you. Having said that there are quite a few valid opinions, points and also links in the following threads and links.

Link (This first link takes a while to open but is well worth it)

[/url]http://www.vision6.com.au/download/files/08120/416631/FRDC+FINAL+REPORT

Link

[/url]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=237&func=view&id=41433&catid=3&limit=20&limitstart=0

Link

[/url]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=237&func=view&catid=38&id=69617

Link

[/url]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=237&func=view&catid=38&id=39822

Link

[/url]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=237&func=view&id=39822&catid=38&limit=20&limitstart=0

Link

[/url]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=237&func=view&catid=38&id=77193

:)

ellicat:

I am not in any way shape or form saying that this plan is the be all and end all of the solution. as usual, the government is caving into political pressures and ignoring the people that "employ" them, us, the voters. the main aim of this was to air my opinion (in short: that something does need to be done, more around size and bag limits and maybe closed seasons than exclusion zones. i do believe the "no anchor" idea over the coral grounds is on the right track though) and to hear the opinion of other fishing minded (obsessed? :laugh: ) folk on the topic. it is something that will affect every person who fishes in the bay and if enough people get "fired up" about it, eventually the government will have to listen to the public for once, not the "chink chink" of the money bags.

ellicat wrote:

unfortunately no. i will be stuck at work for most of the day. i was planning to come hell or high water, forgot the whole "cometh the boss" thing... :angry:

so - just curious. do you feel that anything does need to be done with the bay?

benno573 wrote:

so - just curious. do you feel that anything does need to be done with the bay?

As far as increased protection zones for rec fishermen - absolutely NO.

In relation to doing something about the other issues that actually affect the bay's ecology - YES

As far as the commercial guys go - I have no opinion to give as I don't know enough about it/them and the effect they have on sustainability. I don't believe we should export our seafood supply demands though.

Here's an article on the GBRMP threats. Makes for an interesting read.

EDIT: It's too big to attach. If you would like a read PM me your email address and I'll send it on to you. (This goes for anyone)

Burko wrote:

has anyone seen a close up of the zones?

i.e. is nudgee creek included in the nudgee beach area or does the zone cut across the mouth. also the area proposed out front of woody point

Burko, click on the link in the opening post. You should be able to zoom in.

yeah zoomed right in . It shows green at the mouth but does it mean the whole creek or just the mouth and then up to what point. same with nundah creek running off cabbage tree. how far upstream do the zones extend. does it include right up to the headwaters through chermside where I catch guppies for feeder fish. If it includes nudgee creek how are they going to stop the people living on the creek throwing a pot or line in after dark?. has anyone worked out what fish breed on the mudflats in front of nudgee anyway:angry: :huh::( :S :side: :dry:

Fisher_90 wrote:

That would be tripcony bright mate, halfway up the passage, its been a yellow zone for around 10 years now, It will turn green zone and the whole passage yellow which i think is sh1t cos you cant take a light lure rod and a heavy live bait rod for jacks, cod, flathead etc.

Please correct me if im wrong. But hasn't tripcony bight always been a green zone, no fishing? Let me know, i wanna know.:huh:

In regards to these new zonings, i have mixed feelings. I see some good and well I'll have to work just a bit harder to gather fish and prawns.

will wrote:

its getting 2 a point were u wont no were u can and cant fish ,until u r being fined :woohoo:

You are spot on. At Bargara they introduced closures and no one had any idea where they could fish - not even the authorities.

From what I can tell the best way to sustain and improve fish stocks is bag and size limits.

A good example is Flathead. There seems to be plenty since the max size limit was introdruced, even in a heavily fished area like the Pin.

I think Bream 30cm, Squire (due to the fact that they grow quite large) leave them alone until they are say 50cm. Imagine going to Macleay Island and pulling up 50cm Squire instead of 20cm Squire.

Just a couple of examples here but I'm no expert.

See you at the rally Sunday

Mal

Cando wrote:

Are they changing the yellow zone to 1 hook/rod or has it always been that??

I hate to rain on any1's parade but the bribie passage is a yellow zone now, going by the signs at some of the ramp.. and no they are not new signs..

Noel

That would be tripcony bright mate, halfway up the passage, its been a yellow zone for around 10 years now, It will turn green zone and the whole passage yellow which i think is sh1t cos you cant take a light Lure rod and a heavy live bait rod for jacks, cod, flathead etc

Arrrrrrrrrr.... no It's been green for years.. Going on 10 years..

The rest of the passage is yellow.. [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/map-6eaa90bce8b8ce21aa2200e02c3942f0.jpg

post-2181-144598443423_thumb.jpg

Cowfish13 wrote:

There are all the specifications on the different zones on that map

Currently, it appears that you can. But they havn't been too clear on their explanations on the different zones

Yeh I just had a read of the zoning explanation at the bottom of the map and it's pretty vague. From that key it almost seems like there is no difference between the yellow and general use zones. Predictably ambiguous.

Joel ;)

Master Sardines wrote:

[....

In regards to these new zonings, i have mixed feelings. I see some good and well I'll have to work just a bit harder to gather fish and prawns.

Steve, I'd like to know what the good things are. Having less boats on your new patch ?:P :laugh:

I started with mixed feelings too. The more I've researched the whole process and EPA arguments for the zones the less credibilty they have with me to the point I am now 100% against the increases to the green rec fishing ones.

Malcolm, I believe you are correct in relation to the 1 lure = 1 hook thing. I also believe you are correct with the bag and size limit. The fishery managers (DPI&F) also agree.

currently, the one hook per line does exist in yellow zones in moreton bay. yellow zones are also currently closed to all forms of commercial fishing (unfortunately this excludes crabbing) and spearfishing as they are deemed "habitat protection" zones (whatever the hell that means). a lure and ganged hooks are fine in these zones, as are snelled rigs etc (anything with one "bait" point). you are allowed to have several rods on board but only one in action per person (with "one hook") at any point in time. cast/drag nets WILL be forbidden in yellow zones under the new plan, as will spearfishing and all forms of commercial fishing, including crabbing. so is everyone confused yet?????? :S

Just seeking an opinion from people on this - the "no anchor zones" proposed for several coral areas in the bay (mostly within proposed green zones). good thing or bad thing?:blink:

and to all those who have mentioned tougher restrictions on size and bag limits, music to my ears!!! tougher policing would be great too. :woohoo:

Archived