FOTM General Chat - Threadfin Salmon

Angus

kevinchen19870316 wrote:

i have just read through the rules of submitting FOTM and found there's no restriction of where these fish r caught.... just a note, there r 20kg+ threadies easily caught in some part of china...

im sure they dont last long, will feed the family for 1 month haha:laugh:

ando_04 wrote:

kevinchen19870316 wrote:
i have just read through the rules of submitting FOTM and found there's no restriction of where these fish r caught.... just a note, there r 20kg+ threadies easily caught in some part of china...

Hahaha Lmao

Mack_attack wrote:

Plastic Man wrote:
too bad their not around that spot to much any more would of went off in december

do you think it's fishing pressure or just aseasonal thing?

Where are the prawns? Apparently they just follow them around so if they've moved further upstream then the salmon would probably follow.

ando_04 wrote:

kevinchen19870316 wrote:

there's a seasonal run in spring time when fish around 10kg r caught in BIG numbers and fish over 30kg is not uncommon. luckily it's mid winter in China now. they will last long as long as they don't make their way to japan water

Feral wrote:

Dan23 wrote:
Feral wrote:
Will have to have a shot in local rivers while we are up at Hervey Bay!

Isn't the mouth of the Mary up there?

Sure is, the Fishin Tales boys regulary catch stonka threadfin in there.

launch at riverheads and go right from the ramp into the mouth of bunya creek and the susan river try the eastern side of the first island in the susan for good threadies and some big javelin

or go straight across the marys mouth for some good trolling and casting between the rock bars

both spots are within 5mins of the ramp

nuckle wrote:

are there many at indro bridge?

Hey buddy,

I'm not sure what constitutes many. Kiara landed a pretty decent one some time ago while I got busted off by an even bigger one. Use live or fresh prawns and u can't go wrong. If u're using fresh prawns, a 1/0 long shank baitholder will be perfect. Chuck it halfway between the pontoon u'd be fishing from and the first pylon of the bridge. That's where Kiara and I got hooked up.

If its time to change bait, and u find the prawn a lil soggy, just peel away the shell and hook it back up and chuck it back in coz threaddies seem to like shelled prawns as well.

Current's really strong at that part of the river, but u dun need heavy sinkers for it. I've used size 6 snapper leads and they still get swept. All u really need is size 2-4 sinkers and don't worry when the line gets swept to the side. Jus as long as u hold on tight to ur rod.

You get the regular catties as well as small jewies there. And bring the repellent, or sandflies and mozzies will swamp u in a matter of seconds! G'luck!

Faulked: I have not. But several people have told me recently of actually seeing numerous salmon in the shallows. Pretty cool. When I was out with Stu we saw loads of Trevally like that. Tails way out fo the water. Gets the brain racing hahaha.

Angus

Angus wrote:

Faulked: I have not. But several people have told me recently of actually seeing numerous salmon in the shallows. Pretty cool. When I was out with Stu we saw loads of Trevally like that. Tails way out fo the water. Gets the brain racing hahaha.

Angus

Worst thing is when you see something like that and throw every lure you own at them and just can't get a strike.

in that case dont discount hays inlet for these guys rod and i bumped into a pair of fins sitting on the surface a while back at the discharge pipe but i had no real idea what it was i guessed maybe a couple of very large mullet or something bigish just sitting at the surface no idea really though :unsure:

at the jindalee boat ramp at night most times we go the prawns are always flicking around on the surface and every now and then there will be a massive boof! then it goes all queit again lol. im pretty sure there salmon.... dunno if anything else would be smashing prawns from the surface like that and ther not little boofs, they actually scare you lol

Dan23 wrote:

Angus wrote:

Angus

Worst thing is when you see something like that and throw every lure you own at them and just can't get a strike.

Throw a cast net instead:P

blue_mako wrote:

reef_raider wrote:
just bought a transom 95, basically like a bit bigger version of mask vibe and it looks like itl be the goods for the threadies so ill have a crack

Jake, where did you get the transom from? Over the net from Mo or O/S? Or from a tackle store here?

Troy

troy i got transam from tackle world at sandgate, they had about 5 different colours

Archived