Port Authority Ferals

harrystrybos

Hey, any of you guys or girls been given some agro from the Port Authority people. I was trolling outbound from Moringside today and as I went past the terminal at Comslie, thought I would flick a plastic among the pilings. Did this for about twenty minutes and suddenly, the Port Authority was there to tell me I could not be closer than 30 metres from the terminal....Hello, my name is not Bin Laden, there were no boats tied up, what the f is this?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, two weeks ago I saw a large private vessel moored "more than 30 m" from the Comslie terminal. They could have caused significant damage (and I don't suggest they would have) and had the ability to hide significant ordinance to cause damage, but a small 3m inflatable is considered a security risk. Mate, this should be the subject a a comedy show (sorry, no cricicism intended to you)

My encounters with them have been ok so far. I am well aware of the ruling and when I see no ships tied up I not only go in close for a fish but I even drop anchor (a real no no). They normally just comne and tell me to move on once they spot me and politely inform me that the water police will not be as forgiving. I just need the ports kept safe and what is good for one must be good for all.

Easy sorted. Just anchor 30m away when there are no ships around. quite legal by their rules. When the big ships arrive stay anchored. Do not budge for anything. HAve your life jacket on and epirb ready and boat insurance up to date. Have fun and enjoy the ride.

Rules is rules. Play by them. They are there for a reason. Stay away from these areas or they will change the rules to 300mtrs and screw it up for everybody. I assume you were asked to move nicely. Cant see the problem.

the easy fix is get one large 44gal drum paint bp in yellow and green on the side place this in a very visable spot and tie up directly to the wharf when port authoriy turns up politley say f'off im a tanker and its my right to be here you nazi buggers

:laugh: :laugh: :silly:

jason

You have got life too good when you have to complain and get upset about little stuff like this Harry. If you weren't aware of the regs and they boarded your boat and took to you with batons before slapping you with a big fine then you would get a bit of sympathy.

Being asked to move along from somewhere you know you shouldn't be? :blink:

waldo wrote:

You have got life too good when you have to complain and get upset about little stuff like this Harry. If you weren't aware of the regs and they boarded your boat and took to you with batons before slapping you with a big fine then you would get a bit of sympathy.

While I respect your opinion, I did not know about this rule. Only got my marine license about a month ago. There was no mention of this legislation in the course I did. After making enquires with the Port Authority, not that many other people know about it either. The Port Authority guy I spoke to agreed with me that signage was the answer.

Still seems such an easy problem to solve with a simple sign. Certainly would be much easier for the port guys as well.

harrystrybos wrote:

waldo wrote:

While I respect your opinion, I did not know about this rule. Only got my marine license about a month ago. There was no mention of this legislation in the course I did. After making enquires with the Port Authority, not that many other people know about it either. The Port Authority guy I spoke to agreed with me that signage was the answer.

Still seems such an easy problem to solve with a simple sign. Certainly would be much easier for the port guys as well.

Does the 30m rule apply to all docks in the Brisbane river? If not, how can you tell the difference. Where can I get a set of the Port Authority rules?

Ok if you didnt know it makes a difference. I havent chased it up for a long time but I believe it is still 30m from all wharves and 30m from the outboard side of a ship. From there additional restricted areas might come into play for sensitive ships such as chem tankers, explosives carriers, and US warships etc. They could be up to whatever the Port Authirity will allow. I believe the big US carrier that came in a while back the US navy asked for a 500m exclusion zone which would have required the port road to be blocked :laugh: so settled for 400m

Nothing to do with ports itself, its part of the anti terrorism legislation that covers the airports and a few other things as well. Don't quote me on any of the above, just the best I can remember and there are way too many :blink: holes in my memory to claim any authority :blush:

or you could follow the link bove :lol:

ellicat wrote:

You will see from this link

http://www.portbris.com.au/operations/security

that the port security operates under

"International Ship and Port Facility Security (ISPS) Code .... and the Australian Government enacted Maritime Transport and Offshore Facilities Security Act 2003 and associated regulations"

Google that ;)

OK, did some further investigation via another call to Port Authority Security and the basic rule of thumb is that you can approach closer than 30m to wharves that are no longer in use. An example would be the old Mobil wharf adjacent to the Comslie boat ramp. Other than that, pretty well any other private wharf has the 30m rule. Maritime Safety Queensland has no guidlines on the matter. So, guess the bottom line is keep 30m from wharves in general....damn pity, since those pilings look so attractive for soft plastics. Perhaps I need to learn to cast furtherB)

Angus wrote:

Thats interesting Harry.

Sitting at the BRC weigh in station for 3 days in december i saw heaps of boats get kicked off the wharf opposite Comslie.

Maybe it varies security gaurd to security gaurd.

Angus

Well, there you go:huh: I got that information from the security manager this afternoon. Seems even some of the port guys don't know the rules. Perhaps it's from too much port:lol:

Hi again

Thanks for all your input. While this issue may not trouble a lot of people, I think this 30m rules is another example of the slow erosion of our civil liberties. For those of you that are interested in what I have to say:

1. This rule was imposed as a result of some truely dreadful events such as 9/11. While I encourage proactive prevention of terrorism, this rule seems very lame (if not completely "knee jerk"). Terrorists plan carefully, and would not attack a dock unless it could be done in secret at night or they would use the "kamakaze" approach, in which case, the 30m rule means nothing. I would support, however, that people should not have a need to be "under" a wharf.

2. The primary aim of terrorists is to cause disruption to a society, to draw attention to their cause or as a simple result of envy. They have succeeded, in this case, with the help of our own government, in reducing our own civil liberties.

3. The waterways of our country should belong to its' citizens, not to the ill thought out rules of a few public servants (whose wages we pay)

4. Pilings are a prime "structure" area to which fish are known to frequent.

5. From what I hear in this group, many people agree ith item 4, and, according to the Port Authority, so do very many other people.

6. The 30m rule has effectively removed from use, a very large percentage of fishing territory for the amateur angler

There are many other factors that could be mentioned.

Having stated the above, let me give you one more example of "knee jerk" policy. I flew to Perth on a business class ticket (yeah, I know...bloody flash, my company paid) and even had to take my shoes of when going through security. My boss had to surrender a two inch pocket knife hanging from his keychain, Yet, when we had my lunch (sitting only metres from the cockpit), we were given a metal knife and fork to eat with....:woohoo:

Thanks for your indulgence, everyone. My apologies if I am getting boring with this subject.

they may also be worried about people hurting themselves on their wharfs and prosecution thereafter

damadge to their wharf from my little tinnie banging into it

or may be its a work place health and safety thing

either way it sucks it should be 3 metres when the dock is not in use :angry:

Malcolm wrote:

I think some of the powers to be are paronoid and and not so clever,if I was a terrorist I wouldn,t be rocking up to an empty warf in my tinnie now would I

Thanks buddy.

Laws are, ostensibly, made for the common good of our society. You observation is quite correct. Even wearing a turban should not be suspect, nor sitting in any boat wearing a turban, nor sitting in a boat close to a wharf. For Gods' sake, where does all of this stop?

Having said that, basic common sense dictates that lurking "under" a wharf could mean you have detected a very dumb terrorist.

The real agenda could be that the companies that own these docks have extended their control via "knee jerk" legislation. How long before areas of the Brisbane River or Moreton Bay are "out of bounds". Yeah, sounds scary, but it has already happened.

Maybe we should just sit idle and see what happens. For me, I want to be a bit more participant and proactive.

I make my comments based on a nine year history in the armed services of our country. As for terrorists, they are like carp, hook em, kiss em and leave them to die on the bank (unless there is now legislation to the contrary)

faulked wrote:

they may also be worried about people hurting themselves on their wharfs and prosecution thereafter

damadge to their wharf from my little tinnie banging into it

or may be its a work place health and safety thing

either way it sucks it should be 3 metres when the dock is not in use :angry:

The whole thing is supposed to be a terrorist anti-measure. That is what the underlying legislation alluded to. The problem of people hurting themselves has never beenm an issue. See how big business works? Companies can get a tax concession or a grant to implement terrorist anti measures. Who suffers...poor old taxpayer!

Having said that, you have given me cause to implement a 30m rule around my property:silly: .

Aussies have been famous throughout the world for their sense of right and wrong and their sense of sportsmanship. Seems we are surrendering this to the American litigation model!

waterways all around the world have diffrent laws like this

in many marinas you not allowed to fish and ports some have diffrent limits off and even in some of our harbours they have no boating area and for the most part it is all about safty and not aint terrisom

i wounder what would happin if while flicking the lures close to the wharf some one casted off one of the big bollard lines and hit you on the head

would the 30m off then seem ok or would you want to then sue them over it

also it is suppriseing to see how fast some of these ships can come in at and belive me you want to be well clear of them when they do as it is alot harder for them to stop than for you to move

also as other have said if we all push the point it woun't be long before your not allowed to go within kooee of there

there are plenty of other places to fish and a good amount are alot better anyway

Kingtin wrote:

waterways all around the world have diffrent laws like this

in many marinas you not allowed to fish and ports some have diffrent limits off and even in some of our harbours they have no boating area and for the most part it is all about safty and not aint terrisom

i wounder what would happin if while flicking the lures close to the wharf some one casted off one of the big bollard lines and hit you on the head

would the 30m off then seem ok or would you want to then sue them over it

also it is suppriseing to see how fast some of these ships can come in at and belive me you want to be well clear of them when they do as it is alot harder for them to stop than for you to move

also as other have said if we all push the point it woun't be long before your not allowed to go within kooee of there

there are plenty of other places to fish and a good amount are alot better anyway

AS I suggested, it is time to put the 30m rule around our homes:ohmy: .

Look at the "Boggy Creek" thread. Young spirited people having a good time. Lets put in some "rules" to stop people diving into "shark hazardous" waters to retrieve a lure. Surely more dangerous than getting hit on the head with a "big bollard line".

Lets just be safe and do nothing at all...no more adventure, no more risk and plenty of insurance.

Sorry buddy, I have already got a guarantee for that when I die

Kingtin wrote:

well blow me down, is this Kingtin from Ausfish? When I used to frequent that site, I used to enjoy reading your stories of tangling with large vermin:laugh:

If so welcome!B)

*** sorry for the sidetrack... :blush:

alot less chance of being attacked by a shark let alone dieing from the attack (about 6 people world wide each year) than fishing around a comercal port and even worst fishing close enoght in that you then are hard to see below and thats why it has a 30 meter rule and if the ports have that much trouble as said before who knows they could bump that out to 100 meters

by all mean put a 30 meter exclusion rule around your house just make sure it is on your property

and yes the ports do own that bit of water and do need to pay for it off the goverment each year

Oh well i guess we no wont be allowed to fish within 3k of the place very soon as there are people who have obviously no regard for the rules.

might as well go sit at the gate to enoggera army barracks in the ute with a open 44gallon drum full of fuel in the back and have a smoke. Dam new smoking laws just another example of the slow erosion of our civil liberties.

Archived