electric help

ando_04

G’day fellow afo members

I’m looking at putting a Jarvis marine watersnake on my hornet trophy soon. (I already have it)

But was just wondering how I would go about installing it??

I have taken a few pics of the layout of the boat and were I will possibly put the batteries.

If another member with a bow mount electric could post up there set up it would be a great help as well.

Pics: First pics is the welded on bracket

2mfest3.jpg

Same as the first one just different view:

unhv6.jpg

I’m looking at cutting out the front left section (same as what has been done on right side) to put batteries in.

jud7w9.jpg

With the batteries should I be using deep cycle, about 120 amp ??

Also with quick release brackets, how much are they and do you really need them ??

If you need anymore pics of the boat layout/ electric just let me know

Thanks for any help

Ando

Ando: i havnt used a watersnake in the past but remember.

Use large enough wires to carry sufficient current. Loses and heat can affect these things. USe anderson plugs for connection to the battery. This makes it easy to charge without having to gain access to your batteries. you can mount the andersen plugs on the vertical of the side decks. Put a good quality waterproof fuse enclosure in line. I have never bothered connecting tto a switch on the switchbox on the boat found it a pain in the bum. But saying that it was easy to have something rest on the speed control on the footpedal of the mincota and start it up. You would be driving home and prop on the electric would be spinning happily. I would be using 2 100 amp hour barries as a minimun if you want it setup right.

Richard.

shortie wrote:

Ando: i havnt used a watersnake in the past but remember.

Use large enough wires to carry sufficient current. Loses and heat can affect these things. USe anderson plugs for connection to the battery. This makes it easy to charge without having to gain access to your batteries. you can mount the andersen plugs on the vertical of the side decks. Put a good quality waterproof fuse enclosure in line. I have never bothered connecting tto a switch on the switchbox on the boat found it a pain in the bum. But saying that it was easy to have something rest on the speed control on the footpedal of the mincota and start it up. You would be driving home and prop on the electric would be spinning happily.

Richard.

Thanks for that mate!!

good help

ando_04 wrote:

fishyman wrote:
i pla to do the same thing when we get our boat so thanks ando for putting up this thread :P

i might have to come back to this thread in a few months

yeah, i actually had a look over the site, but didnt see anything.

Any one got tips on mounting it ??

I know with the mimkotas you can buy a quick release mounting bracket. About $100. You actually mount the bracked and then you can slide the electric in and out as you please.

i had 2 130 amp hour batteries running a 55lbs eletric on a 3.6m open hull fibre glass boat, i got a week running on them 5 days. i was using all different speeds, was moving enough to go against the tide was mainly flicking lures. run the batteries parallel and buy them both at the same time, this way it allows u to draw equal current,6 volts from each battery and will make ur batteries last alot longer.the key is to have 2 batteries of same charge other wise it pulls more current from the battery with the higher charge and will flatten it quicker. use good thick wire and put a propper fuse ,not 1 of the little glass fuse they heat to quick when using high speeds. go a fuse like whats in the more moden cars.

will wrote:

i had 2 130 amp hour batteries running a 55lbs eletric on a 3.6m open hull fibre glass boat, i got a week running on them 5 days. i was using all different speeds, was moving enough to go against the tide was mainly flicking lures. run the batteries parallel and buy them both at the same time, this way it allows u to draw equal current,6 volts from each battery and will make ur batteries last alot longer.the key is to have 2 batteries of same charge other wise it pulls more current from the battery with the higher charge and will flatten it quicker. use good thick wire and put a propper fuse ,not 1 of the little glass fuse they heat to quick when using high speeds. go a fuse like whats in the more moden cars.

Thanks willB)

You havent said what model watersnake you have.

The sissor mount ones are easy to dismount.I do not know if you can get a mounting plate similar to the minnkota ones.

I am pretty certain that most of the watersnake ones have a cut off switch incorporated in the mount so that the motor cannot be accidently turned on when the motor is not deployed.

Re the batteries you also have to considered the weight and how it will affect the balance of the boat at rest and the trim under way.

Will you be using the boat as electric only? If so you will need a lot of battery capacity but if you are only going to use it for keeping position and creeping up on fish you will probably be only using the lower power settings on the motor and a 120 a/h battery may do the trick.

I am against using a fuse as it is only a potential sourse of corrosion. I would advocate a circuit breaker of around 75 amp capacity and make certain it is mounted where it can not get wet.

I also would not recommend running batteries in parallel .

When you run 2 batteries in parallel you do nit use 6volts out of each battery . If both batteries are equal capacity and voltage you will drag half the amphereage of the motor from each battery you can check this with a tong or ampmeter.It is very rare for both batteries to give an equal discharge there is usually at least a 2 to 3% variation even with brand new batteries.

When they get a couple of months old there will be a difference in the capacity of each battery and then the total capacity of each battery becomes that of the weakest battery.

When you charge them in parallel the charger will shut down when one battery reaches voltage and the charger thinks that they both are fully charged.

If you run each battery individually you then have a good idea how much reserve capacity you have left when the one you are running starts to slow down or you see the voltage has dropped if you run a meter.

Hope this helps

Ray

Archived