Event Ideas - 2008

Angus

Dear AFO,

Are you tired on me putting stuff in the calendar?

If not i am toying with 2 more events for this year.

1. Brisbane River Bream Comp (Live Weigh In Only) on the 20th of July.

2. Passage Expedition - a casual competition based in the Bribie passage for possibly (due to the time of year) Flathead.

Both these comps will be fairly laid back. By this i mean in comparission to the BRC, they will be cheaper, prizes not as much and really with the intention of being all in the name of fun.

I have really thought these two up because so many of our events are Freshwater based. I love the sweetwater and the salt. But thought for a die hard salties we should offer some more variety :)

Let me know your thoughts on these 2 ideas.

Angus

I believe it fishes better (size-wise) around that time (going on last years results and reports).

But I'd hate to be calling that wrong, so if anyone else would care to comment that'd be helpful.

Also, I think Malcolm got his big 80cm cod around that time last year.

pcsolutionman wrote:

Id be keen on the passage flatty hunt. can I recommend launching at donnybrook with a meet/greet and weight in at mission point.

Lee

You sure can Lee :P Thats what the thread is for.

Thanks for the feedback so far guys. I would prefer to put something on you guys all want!

Angus

how about a bring a deckie day where everyone with a boat takes out a one or four dekies boat depending then have a half time barbie and deckie change till the end of day this way well meet lots of new people and give the non boaties a bit of a go in a boat :)

jason

ps i could take 2 at a time

Jason I had also thought of this as well. I had even thought that the Brissy River comp could be Boaters and Non boaters with seperate prizes for each... Not to rip off ideas from ABT etc, but this sort of arrangement could be very good for a group like ours..

Angus

faulked wrote:

how about a bring a deckie day where everyone with a boat takes out a one or four dekies boat depending then have a half time barbie and deckie change till the end of day this way well meet lots of new people and give the non boaties a bit of a go in a boat :)

jason

ps i could take 2 at a time

Love this idea.

Sounds Good Angus, Dunno if I can commit at this point though!

Plasticman, Hervey have a good idea with their live weigh ins, its got to swim away healthy before it is counted in the tally. I dont have any lures small enough for bream, but would be using circle hooks with the bait anyway, which probably does no more (maybe even less) damage than a lure.

the two ideas sound great i reckon:) ..be awesome to see what the afo crew can pull out of the river (bream wise) in the winter:)

and the flatty hunt- we shoould make our own sizeand bag limits as not to drag every flatty out of the passage, that could be easy to do as flattys arent the smartest fish

mrsjimmybob wrote:

Angus....what about "girl only" events? surely there are plenty of wives/girlfriends out there that would not only appreciate a "how to" day to learn the basics but would also like the chance to see what it is you guys are going on about each weekend??

i like this idea angus it might only be 364days that our credit card cops a hiding then! rofl.:laugh:

fishyman wrote:

your kidding yourself arnt you :S

they will go to the day, learn to catch fish, then say "now hunny i wanna go fishing with you, so can i have a rod and reel"

haha :P

or you could be smart about it like Jimmybob...pass on your old ones and have the perfect excuse to pick up a new one for yourself! ;)

ellicat wrote:

I think there were a couple of girls only events last year.

That should be enough - let's face it you couldn't cope with any more - Girls doing there hair is an "event":P :laugh:

now Ellicat I did expect more from you.....

it is that kind of attitude that makes us girls (you know the ones that aren't fussed by our hair) think that you may be feeling a bit threatened....nothing worse than being out fished by a girl huh? ;) ask Jimmybob he cops it with grace and style all the time....;)

Some very good and constructive idears there. I loke the bring a deckie concept and am very much in favour of any family involvement. I think that the family involvement helped to make the Barra day a great success.

If the event is going to be family oriented maybe only a half day session as the kids become bored.

I notice that Fishntales is trying to get together a weekend session at a Barra fishing park up at Gunalda just outside Maryborough. $20 for a powered camp site, $25 per day fishing, $14 per kg if you wish to keep barra. Stocked with narra, Barcoo grunter and bass. Bass are strictly catch and release.

If anyone is interested i can post the link and details when date is finalised.

Cheers

Ray

Name of place is Fernhill Parkthey have their own website.

Angus. there are clearly too many events in the calender.

2 more comps? Preposterous.

Is that sarcasm, or do I start walking over to your place to slap some sense into you :laugh: There can never be enough fishing events in the calender :laugh: :)

The Bribie passage sounds good - the bream one... well I suck at bream fishing so *shrug* I'll be another participant for those good bream fishermen to beat:P

ellicat wrote:

There's only one response to that - You SHOULD care about your hair.

(Sorry kriso - that's as good as I've got:blush: Nowhere to hide. FERAL -HEEEELLLLPPPP)

You got to the bottom of that hole yet ellicat? :P

I cant comment as I have even less hair than Jimmybob!

Here is the guts on fernhill.

Cheers

Ray

/>http://www.fernhillpk.com/

CAMPING

Nightly- $20 per site*.

*Site = Per tent - up to 4 adults or Family -2 adults + children.

FISHING

1/2 day $15 Adult

$10 Child

Full day $25 Adult

$15 Child

family/group discounts may apply on fishing fees.

Children under 5yrs free.

FISH PURCHASE

Barra $14/kg

Barcoo grunter $12/kg

Spangled perch free.

Australian Bass strictly catch & release. Under no circumstances are the bass to be kept.

ROD HIRE

$8 per rod & reel set.

Tackle?

BAIT

Live shrimp $3 for 20

Frozen freshwater shrimp $3

FOR SALE

Limited, yet sufficient, tackle supplies.

Cold drinks.

Block ice.

• 2 months later...

I cant find the thread anymore but if youse want to organise another boat charter round the bay or in the gold coast id definately be up for that.

I seen you were doing one in July, if theres another in August let me know.

Also a tuna expedition would be something I would love to try out as well.

All the best

Jamie

i like the bream comp and id deff be interested in attending. the female how to day is good but yeah dont like the idea of my gf getting into fishing cos the whole point of me going fishing is so i can get away for a day hahhaha

Archived