A Thankyou for AFO

shayned

Guys, when we first had an inkling that Lake Kurwongbah and creating a new recreational fishery was a goer, we looked at the overall situation and realised we would face a lot of challenges.

A couple of these were funding and manpower. It was at this stage I began discussing with Angus the challenges as we saw them and over a year ago Angus promised the crew from AFO would assist with meeting at least some of them.

Yesterday's Tilapia Bust was a great example of a promise met, so again thankyou for helping to move this important project another step closer to reality.

As Angus well knows every Tilapia we remove from the dam helps create a little more niche space in the Lakes eco system which can be taken up by a more desireable native fish. This helps improve the results of our stocking and helps us get over top of the Tilapia a little quicker.

The other important side of this event relates to the all important dollar and when I originally put together the grant proposal which would allow this project to start we found the only funds available required a dollar for dollar contribution.

Again after talking with Angus I decided to link this event to the the Saratoga component of the funding. Our target in this area was roughly $8000.00. While I don't have the exact figures from Angus I think we got very close.

Every dollar of entry fees which get donated to this program get matched with a dollars funding from DAFF and under the rules of the grant every volunteer hour spent setting up yesterday and actually spent removing Tilapia gets valued at $20.00 per hour. With the 40 members there and 10 blow ins who just fished it anyway without taking part in the comp we had roughly 50 people fishing for approx. 7 hours. The math is pretty simple $20 x 50 x 7 = $7000 and when you add in the entry fees component we are pretty damn close.

These funds go to setting up a breeding population of 'toga in the Lake. In about 5 years we should have a reasonable 'toga fishery here, if all goes to plan in 10 years we will have an excellent one. So when the rest of the members are enjoying this fishery in years to come you might want to give a silent thanks to people who showed up on Sunday and did the hard yards.

Also a big thanks to Alex from Viking, that Kayak was one hell of a carrot to dangle to encourage participation. Thanks also for bringing the other big bertha down to do sounding duties, that yak looks the goods my friend. I think it might be upgrade time.:laugh:

Again thanks to everyone who came down and helped, give yourselves a big pat on the back!!!! Lastly, Jeff you are a vermin catching machine bad luck on missing out on first place, That kayaks mine chant just didn't quite get you over the line.

Shayne Dumma

Pine Rivers Fish Management Assoc.

Mate,

Everything in life is possible, its just some things are more difficult than others. I don't make any secret of the fact that I would love to launch the old "exploder" on Kurwongbah and kill tillies until I'm crossed eyed. Unfortunately there are a number of issues standing between my desire and current reality. Some are very difficult and will probably need someone wiser than me to sort out. It will also take time unfortunately. Got to remember that only 2 years ago we couldn't even fish there.

Archived