Radio install

Brian D

I am going to install a marine radio but I went to buy one and got nowhere. The first shop BCF didn't even bother to try to help and the 2nd shop (unnamed) sent me to the VMR to get advise on what I need. Then he told me I need a licience to operate the radio. Is this so and what sort do I get? Can anyone help? I think it's going to cost about $400 does that sound about right? Are they easy to install?

Hi Kazabri,

Mate, you either need a 27 Meg or a VHF radio. If you are staying inside the bay, you can get away with a 27 Meg, if you want to go out you will need a VHF.

A 27 Meg is quite cheap just over $100 but then you need an Antennae, another $60 approx. No licence required.

A VHF will cost close to your $400 and you still need an antennae. For this you will also need a licence, and you will need to do a radio operators course.

You can run a FM/AM radio off the same antennae also, just need a splitter box which can be purchased from places like BIAS Boating for $20 approx. easier, neater and cheaper to fit it all out in the first instance than going back in and changing stuff later.

Have a good look at the antennae also before you buy. There are two main brands, GME and another I cannot remember off the top of my head. The other one is better than GME as it lasts longer (UV) and can be unscrewed completly off the base for storage and security, from what I can remember the GME has the cable running up the guts of it and it cannot be removed.

All up they are very easy to install, just lay it out initially, get the positioning just right before you start drilling etc. Make sure the mike is in the right place and will not get caught in anything or fall off its mount. Make sure your antennae will sit correctyly when up and folded down and will not be in the way when you are fishing. I found a simple plastic curtain rod holder was ideal for locking the antennae into when it was in the down position.

Hope this helps and I apologise for it being so long,

MickB)

kazabri wrote:

Your a legend, Thanks for the help and tips.

Your response was jsut what I was hoping to get

Thanks again

PS Are you realy in Iraq?

Hi Kazabri,

Yeah mate I am really in Iraq. Not for long though, I am on my way out and should be at home fishing within the fortnight.B)

Good luck with that refit, may see you on the water one day and check out the boat first hand.

Cheers,

Mick

Gday Mick.

Thanks for all te useful info mate.

Will you be back for the 25th June?

If so mate come to the Brisbane River Classic hosted BBQ.

FOr more details just check the events tab on this site.

But in short, lots of food, good people and some fishing. (No carp sorry).

Angus.

blue_mako wrote:

if hes in iraq, no wunda he knows bout all his radio gear :P

hows those carp going over ther ??? yummy:P

troy

Hi troy,

No more Carp for me. I am now at an American mess so it is Doughnuts, cinamin cripy things, sugery flaky hoozies and anything else they can make out of suger. Sure piling the weight back on. Cajun Catfish on the menu for tonight.

Chers, MickB)

Angus wrote:

Gday Mick.

Thanks for all te useful info mate.

Will you be back for the 25th June?

If so mate come to the Brisbane River Classic hosted BBQ.

FOr more details just check the events tab on this site.

But in short, lots of food, good people and some fishing. (No carp sorry).

Angus.

Hi ANgus,

Yes I will be back by then. But as you can appreciate, after being away for close to 7 months I would be mad to organise something at this stage of the game. I need to get home, do the righty, then slip the idea in her head without her knowing it and I could see you there.

I understand the catering side of things. So will try to give as much notice as possible. Sounds like a great day out.

Cheers,

mickB)

Mick

I took your advise and installed an GME VHF - cost about $260 plus aerial about $80 with wires. It was ok to install , only had to drill a couple of holes. I used cable ties and stick-on velcro under the dash to hold all wire in place and out of the way.

I know what you mean about the aerial, I took your advise and got the one that you suggested, I like the fact the if broken I can unscrew the busted part and relace it easy.

I placed the aerial on the port side bow and the unit on the port dash section

Thanks again

Post edited by: kazabri, at: 2006/06/05 14:46

Archived