TRolling Spinnerbaits?

rayke1938

Does anyone troll spinnerbaits?

I have never tried it as I thought that you would need heavy around 3/4 ounceones.

I have just been speaking to Paul from Come In Spinnerabits up in Toowoomba and he recommends trolling at around 1.5 to 1.8 kph using ( Narurally)his own brand 3/8 ounce ones. He said leave out around 30 to 40 metres of line and they will troll at 20 ft depth.

He says really cleans up at Cressbrook and Hinze so I am going to have a go next time. He says its far superior ( and Cheaper)than trolling Jackalls .

Cheers

Ray

I have not tried it here yet but when I was based in darwin we trolled 1/4oz spinners about 35m back and had great success on saratoga in manton dam, corroboree billabong and yellow waters in kakadu. not sure how deep they were running but we were going 1.5 - 2kph. I have caught a fewof average sized bass trolling in between the ramp and water tower at hinze on 5/8oz.

brett

Yeah as mentioned I think the key would be to let enough line out and go SLOW

Although what I don't know is how do you control/know what depth you're running at? If say the bass are at 40ft in 60ft of water, how do you know you're getting down to that depth and not 20ft, or 50ft?

I've trolled spinner baits to see what they do, not caught anything on them, but from my experimenting if you want deep I would recommend single blade ones, probably the willow leave pattern. The colorado blades, and definately multiple blades make for shallower running.

As Ray said the only way to test any lure for trolling is to keep changing speed or the length of line out till you start bouncing off the bottom and watching the sounder all the time. As Stu said you learn the depth your s/bait drops at when casting and count it down to where the fish are. OR to make things easy you used to be able to buy a s/bait with a bib on it called a Hybrid depending on what line you used when you cast or trolled it would stay at that depth for the retreive or the troll. Lee Sisson Lures Hybrid if you can find them.

Archived