Baroon 20/3

Feral

Well our cunning plan paid off, sort of.

We got on the water about 12, got our first fish in 10 minutes, using good old "smoke in the water" as we left the ramp, then Ferg got a got hit casting at the first bank we saw, but lost it. Then it rained for an hour, and we did not see another fish until dusk.

Basically we tried everything and every lure until about 5:15, then as we had said we would be trying poppers on dusk we thought we would give it a couple of token casts before heading home.

Motored back to the spot we had thought looked fishy earlier, and pulled up, perfect conditions, still as, quarter to 6, low light.

Ferg immediately got some response to his popper, being continually chased by small fish, cast after cast, but could not get a hook up. I was using my new nightcrawler, and fizzer, but could not raise a touch. Then Ferg had an almighty hit but still did not hook up.

I decided to change to a popper, as I had not used a bait caster at night before, and we were in weed/snag country I changed to an el cheapo Frenzy. (Did not want to lose any of my skitterpops!).

In the next half an hour I got 3 good bass, while poor Ferg still missed hit after hit, even when I lent him one of my skitterpops, hits but no hook ups.

What really rubbed it in for Ferg was the way I got my three. First one I had stopped working the popper and was leaning over adjusting the motor when I got smashed on the surface, I did not even see it, although Ferg reckoned it was spectacular!

Second one a couple of minutes later, I was lifting the popper out of the water to cast again and the bass followed it out of the water and took the popper above the water when I had about 3 foot of line out. Luckily I was using a 1 to 4 kilo rod, and had the sense / was quick enough to just let him take the rod down with him. Real heart attack material there!

And the last one it was near pitch black and the bass hit hard, and took me straight into the weed, (I had no idea where the popper was in relation to anything, we were casting blind by that stage)then around something, and I thought that was it. I ended up letting him have some slack for a minute or so, then wizz away he went again, he had unsnagged himself.

Whilst this was going on, Ferg had some spectacular hits, but just could not manage a hook up.

So the plan to fish the arvo then get into some night action worked eventually! Will have to do that again!

First up, finally got myself a purple spinner bait in preparation for the trip, resorted to asking the owner, Very impressed with the TT spinnerbaits. Got another night crawler while I was there

P1100641.jpg

This was the view most of the day - cold and wet!

P1100643.jpg

Then about 4:30 we had a magic little window where the sun came out and everything looked spectacular.

P1100647.jpg

P1100648.jpg

P1100650.jpg

Then I was using the camera to charge up the glow in the dark lures - not even a touch on them!

P1100651.jpg

Then I finally caught some fish!

P1100653.jpg

P1100654.jpg

P1100656.jpg

P1100658.jpg

Nice one Feral. Hard to get tired of Baroon scenery isnt it!

I agree, I used TT Spinnerbaits for the first time yesterday and found them easy to cast, easily de snag and got some good swipes.

I still need to improve my general confidence with spinnerbaits, but im getting there :)

Angus

Good one Feral. I reckon those berkley Skitterpop immitations are pretty good. Only about $4!!! I have one but haven't tried it yet, after reading this I will for sure.

Also I've talked to some guys down aroung NSW who get lots of bass at night on the nightwalkers and they reckon don't charge them. They say the dark coloured ones with no charge are the best.

Good luck with the spinnerbaits, I've not caught anything on one before but some guys like Dino seem to catch heaps on them.:lol:

Angus wrote:

Nice one Feral. Hard to get tired of Baroon scenery isnt it!

I agree, I used TT Spinnerbaits for the first time yesterday and found them easy to cast, easily de snag and got some good swipes.

I still need to improve my general confidence with spinnerbaits, but im getting there :)

Angus

You need to come bassin with me Angus your confidence in spinnerbaits will be alot better

Dino, launched from the montville end, while it is a steep pig of a ramp (the one where I broke mt winch rope), there is no gate there, so 24 hour access.

The popper I have not seen in the shops, so dunno if they still make it. I got it second hand in a swag of barra lures from a bloke in Hervey bay. It is sort of silvery (with speckles in the paint), slightly red throat. The bit the fish dont see (IE the top bit to catch the fishermen)is a pale lemon colour.

Photo attached of the business side.

Dino saw the other spinner bait colour you mention as well, might pick it up as well.

Biggles bought them both from the new tackle shop on Buchanan's road - nice bloke. [img size=160]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/popper-1fec19f646587d3f6b7996a80bbfb097.jpg

post-134-144598448706_thumb.jpg

Archived