Poppers

Leighton

Like a lot of people I am trying my hand at poppers for different situations.

Whould just like to know peoples thought on if they keep or remove the feathers on the back treb that a lot of poppers come with?

Some of the small poppers used to target Whiting dont have feathers.

Do the feathers hinder a potential strike, do some fish hit the feathers and miss the hooks?

All the bass that beefa caught at maroon (on my popper):laugh: :woohoo: had the feathers still attached, it didn't seem to bother the fish at all. I used a lake police pencil type popper that just skirted across the top didn't break the surface so to speak never saw any action till the sunday morning when probably 3or4 had a crack at it but no hook ups.

GreigB)

I've got a R2S bubble Pop 45 and caught a 41cm jack and 27cm bream on it first time I used it while it still had the feather treble. The jack destroyed the hooks so I had to change them and since I haven't had the feathers on it, I haven't caught another fish with that lure. I think coromon make some retrofittable feather trebles.

That said, I don't think they're essential, just could be beneficial when the bit is tough.

Captain Stabin wrote:

Like a lot of people I am trying my hand at poppers for different situations.

Whould just like to know peoples thought on if they keep or remove the feathers on the back treb that a lot of poppers come with?

Some of the small poppers used to target Whiting dont have feathers.

Do the feathers hinder a potential strike, do some fish hit the feathers and miss the hooks?

er, for those copycat poppers such as the R2S BubblePop, the feathers probably only function as eye candy for prospective buyers,

However, for lures such as the megabass Pop-X, Pop-Max, Yo-Zuri Arms popper and the Yo-Zuri Pop n Splash, the feather on the rear treble does also perform an important function.

has anyone tried to study the suble difference in retrieve action when using a dressed rear treble and a plain treble? there is quite a difference. The purpose of dressing the rear hook is to create drag. i.e slow the rate of drift and the distance moved by the lure when jerked. The purpose of this - to enable the lure to stay in the target area longer. for walking poppers such as the MB poppers and the Yo-Zuri Pop n Splash, the feather acts as a brake, so the popper slides much less when walked,and thus can stay in the target area longer.

as for whether or not the feather's attract fish, i guess they do sometimes, but personally i havent found much of a difference when using either for normal topwater duty.

to dress a treble isnt too hard, get a bobbin, a reel of fly-tying thread, some flashabou, some white and red hackle, and a vise, and you could be dressing as many trebles as you like.

IMHO, a properly dressed treble shouldnt have hackle that extends more than 2cm from the hook bend (depending on hook size, but current measurement based on a size 4 owner FW treble). i dont see how the feathers would hinder a strike, but if you're talking about short strikes, i guess the fish are being timid or need a different retrieve to turn em on abit more ;).

very true bommie... the proof is in the puddin so to speak..

this little green thing has caught me bream trevally and bass in the last week... dont ask what breed it is as i buy them on looks not brands... its a gem and i dont want to lose it...

bass from yesterday arvo [img size=488]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/bass_with_luke_amanda_020.jpg

post-2155-144598448859_thumb.jpg

maxi wrote:

very true bommie... the proof is in the puddin so to speak..

this little green thing has caught me bream trevally and bass in the last week... dont ask what breed it is as i buy them on looks not brands... its a gem and i dont want to lose it...

bass from yesterday arvo [img size=488]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/bass_with_luke_amanda_020.jpg

Just to be annoying it looks like one of those 'Bushy' Poppers

ellicat wrote:

Kiara, Why doesn't the feather work on "copycat" poppers ?

well, assuming that we're referring to the examples that we've been discussing - e.g the R2S bubble pop, the BubblePop was a direct copy of the MB Pop-X. however, the density of the ABS plastic, the rolling weight systems etc were totally different. thus, you dont get the walking bubble churning action that the original gives. thus, IMHO, whether or not the Bubblepop has a dressed rear treble, it wouldnt provide anything close to the original.

as i mentioned earlier, i apart from the braking action of the feather (which would be marginal if the density of the ABS plastic is quite high and thus the momentum of the lure when jerked overcomes the braking action), i'm not too sure about the effectiveness of dressed rear trebles.

e.g - the storm CHugBUg. the FW models come with a flashabou dressed rear hook. i doubt the flashabou creates much drag (as it is a synthetic material that does not absorb water like a feather), but personally i've found the lure is just as effective with or without a rear dressed treble.

i guess it's up to personal preference tho. i've nothing against "copy-cat" poppers, and i have no agenda against those who use em (unlike someone else :P. hehe.. jk kevin)

but yea, about R2$, i think everyone is familar with the fact that they're one of the biggest un-original lure companies around. alot of their lures are copied directly from Yo-Zuri products. which is probably due to the fact that their head designer is a japanese dood who got kicked out of Yo-Zuri coz he copied everyone else's designs.

Most lures are copies of other designs, its pretty rare for a new type or style of lure to come on the market these days. They are only modifications or adaptions of existing lines.

A Bit like clothes, keep your fashion disasters in the wardrobe, coz in 10 years they will be back in fashion again!

Feral wrote:

Most lures are copies of other designs, its pretty rare for a new type or style of lure to come on the market these days. They are only modifications or adaptions of existing lines.

A Bit like clothes, keep your fashion disasters in the wardrobe, coz in 10 years they will be back in fashion again!

Yeah true, the R2S bubblepops have really copied the megabass ones though by adding in the little holes around the gills that create the bubble trail. I reckon for the money they're the best cheap popper around but like Kiara said, you can't really walk the dog with them that well.

On a side note my Megabass X80 prop darter (kind of like a popper but more of a fizzer) got smashed by a Big eye last night off the breakwall. Some how the rod loaded up and there was a massive splash but no hookup:silly: :blink: Got the blood pumping alright though:P

maxi wrote:

bad luck on the trevor dan.. yes it WAS a stiffy.. haha it got taken away from me late yesterday arvo to a small shark believe it or not in a local creek.. blew me away big time...

I knew it! That would have been insane to see a shark smashing a popper:woohoo:

kiara_poltegerist wrote:

but yea, about R2$, i think everyone is familar with the fact that they're one of the biggest un-original lure companies around. alot of their lures are copied directly from Yo-Zuri products. which is probably due to the fact that their head designer is a japanese dood who got kicked out of Yo-Zuri coz he copied everyone else's designs.

now i see why when my mate's promoting R2S lures in China, all the ppl say they r only copies

just soaking a bunch of my lures in fresh water and I noticed that all my cheaper poppers including the R2S one are sitting in the water with a neutral buoyancy. However my Rebel Pop-R is sitting with its tail down in the water like a Towadi.

None of them have the feathers attached atm. I'd honestly say the Pop-R has the best action of any of my poppers so it is interesting to note that it floats that way. Whilst most of my poppers seem to splash nicely the Pop-R really dives down deep when blooped. I'll experiment with putting treble feathers on all my poppers and see if it makes a difference to the action.

Also interesting is the Rebel Pop-R doesn't walk the dog very well but I can do it perfectly with one of my ultra cheap lures that has a neutral buoyancy. I even caught a Bass on it by walking the dog.

All food for thought.:)

Also Kiara if you're reading this the tail feathers on the rapala Xraps, do they serve any purpose other than visual??

having the holes where the gills are have been around for years on poppers to create bubbles also fishermen would soak bits of cotton wool in tuna oil and wedge in the holes to create a small burley slick on retrieving if the bubbles weren't attracting the fish

Dan23 wrote:

just soaking a bunch of my lures in fresh water and I noticed that all my cheaper poppers including the R2S one are sitting in the water with a neutral buoyancy. However my Rebel Pop-R is sitting with its tail down in the water like a Towadi.

None of them have the feathers attached atm. I'd honestly say the Pop-R has the best action of any of my poppers so it is interesting to note that it floats that way. Whilst most of my poppers seem to splash nicely the Pop-R really dives down deep when blooped. I'll experiment with putting treble feathers on all my poppers and see if it makes a difference to the action.

Also interesting is the Rebel Pop-R doesn't walk the dog very well but I can do it perfectly with one of my ultra cheap lures that has a neutral buoyancy. I even caught a Bass on it by walking the dog.

All food for thought.:)

Also Kiara if you're reading this the tail feathers on the rapala Xraps, do they serve any purpose other than visual??

to slow the lure down and thus minimise the distance moved when jerked?

The X-rap is a slashbait, and you have to note that it's a suspending lure, so the feather would help it to not only stay in the strike area longer by minimising the distance moved when slashed really aggressively, but also help it to balance the lure when in use. if the lure is not fished as aggressively as it was designed to be, there wont be much of a difference, but i think that if you ripped the X-rap without a dressed rear treble, the lure might roll or become unbalanced while being ripped. i've never tried the x-rap without a dressed rear treble, but that'd be my guess based on x-rap usage kevin.

Archived