Hello 2 all

Astroboy

Hi guys. Just moved up here from South Australia where i was a keen sharker and occasionally chased what we call sprats. Whiting, Garfish, Mullet, Bream and anything that isnt causght on my shark rod i spose.

Sharking down there is alot different. Unfortunatly i dont have a boat so we would setup on a jetty with 2 or 3 combos. 1 would be a wire trace with a whole mackerel or squid suspended 1 foot below the surface by a balloon and just let the wind/current take the bait out 100 to 250 meters and wait for the strike. The other 2 combos would be on the bottom chasing smaller sharks, rays and anything else that might come along (once hooked a 8 kilo snapper and 13 kilo Mulloway or Jewfish!)

Any tips on where i can attempt to catch some land based sharks or rays? I understand its winter and they arnt as plentiful as they are in summer but i spose its a good time to get my head around things, locations, baits, traces, suspended or bottom fishing and basically all the information that comes with fishing a new state.

Sharks in rivers is something new and exciting to me as ive always chased Bronze Whalers or Hammerheads in the open ocean but any information on the Brissie River or on both the coasts would be awesome!

I know im asking alot but im very excited as a new fishing experience is in front of me and i cant wait!

Nice to meet you all anyways and if any1 feels like dropping me a line id love to hear from you.

P.S - i manage a bottle shop on the northside so if any1 is keen on some cheap alcohol i mite be able to accomodate

Jesse

G'day Astroboy.

Plenty of land based sharking opportunities around Brisbane. I suggest trolling through the old threads, using the search feature to whet your appetite.

You work northside, rough idea where you live and we can try and give you a couple of likely local spots.

Most of the Sharks in the Brisbane River are between 70cm and 150cm. But there are a few monsters in there that can be targeted:)

To consistently get big Sharks, Moreton and Stradbroke Islands are good options. I've got no experience in big shark fishing, but when Terry comes online, he'll be able to give you some more info.

Welcome to the site:)

Hey mate, have a read of this article by Schultzy:

/>http://www.australianfishing.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=255&Itemid=1

Hope fully give you some insight on some good local sharking.

Also check out the reports section under "Isles & Bay". If you look through the old reports, epsecially the Moreton Island ones, you will find some good sharks caught land based arounf the 10 foot mark.

Cheers.

Angus

I'm no sharker, but live close to you. Unfortunately any water for a large fish is around 15minutes from you. The Brissy river along the West End reach is pretty good for sharks. I've personally not caught a shark there in a while, but always see other people catching sharks off any of the pontoons there.

For a normal fish, Manly is not too far from you.

Also, if you just wanna throw a line in, theres a creek behind Carindale that a few members here have fished in and caught Tillies and Carp. I think turtles are there too.

Archived