another awesome day out

benno573

hi all,

headed out this morning, all meeting at the ramp at 5am. crew for the day was liesbeth (tacklebox), baden (kreel) ellicat (brian) and me. headed out into the bay in a slight chop, nothing to worry about really. sun rose just as we got to moreton. headed out offshore to smith rock. nothing too exciting was caught, some beautiful moon wrasse (that was all i could catch), a scorpion cod, a black tipped rock cod (which i later found out ïs the best eating of the rock cods :dry: ) a couple of sweep/drummer things. no-one on board was feeling all that great at thsi stage, the swell was up a bit with a bit of wind chop on it. not so good.... :X had a bit of fun when my 80lb rig snagged up on the bottom... :S

moved down the road to brennan's. found a spot, threw the pic over and started fishing. nothing much for a while. i opened the account with a gold spot wrasse, one of the tastiest eating fish around. :woohoo: then i got hit by a freight train, and shortly after boated a white trevally of around 45cm and 1.5kg.:woohoo: they go so hard for a fish of their size! ellicat was having a ball on his lighter rig, tacklebox was into the action and some fun moments were had trying to catch a trevally on 4lb line by baden. :blink: unfortunately, both hook ups were unsuccessful..:angry: though baden still had a ball.

things went a bit quiet on the trevally front after 9 were added to the esky (tacklebox with 5... more arse than class really... :laugh: ). i experimented with baits, throwing squid, mullet fillet and a pilchard all on one hook. and it WORKED!!! :woohoo: landed a sweetlip of 35cm:woohoo: , and a squire of 41cm. dinner is looking good!:woohoo:

went to find some terra firma to get the land legs back and replace lost stomach contents in some cases. was about to drive away when i noticed a heap of long tom sitting in the shallows. threw a slug at them and had a ball for about 20 minutes, landing six or so and missing hooks ups on coutless more. a few of them tailwalked and played up which was great. baden got one on a hb as well before a major "rod malfunction":angry:

heading back, had to throw a slug at a school of tuna. never caught one before. look out, benno's on!!! :woohoo: and then off again shortly thereafter... :angry::unsure: . bugger!!! (i said worse but we all know what **** means - and jordan i know how you feel!!!)

haeded back in flat as a tack conditions, a brilliant day out. photos to follow.

sorry it's so long, feel free to add stuff i missed crew!

benno <'><

At one stage I was topping the species count - Sweep, Cod, Wrasse (a couple of different types), Trevally, Bruised Arse, Rainbow Runner( or whiptail).

Top day out. Most of the early chop was probably caused by the plethora of fellow fishers.

Thanks bennoB), you're a great skip.

Nice to meet up with TackleBox and Kreel too. Good company for the day.

benno573 wrote:

things went a bit quiet on the trevally front after 9 were added to the esky (tacklebox with 5... more arse than class really... :laugh: ).

ahem??? these were all class! I'm sure it had a lot to do with the special berley I was producing too :X:( :laugh:

great report Benno. thanks again for taking us out.

[img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/P1010942.jpg

post-2560-144598453659_thumb.jpg

ellicat wrote:

At one stage I was topping the species count - Sweep, Cod, Wrasse (a couple of different types), Trevally, Bruised Arse, Rainbow Runner( or whiptail).

Top day out. Most of the early chop was probably caused by the plethora of fellow fishers.

Thanks bennoB), you're a great skip.

Nice to meet up with TackleBox and Kreel too. Good company for the day.

oh yeah, i forgot!! ellicat kept us all well amused by falling flat on his arse in the swell. all the delicacy and grace of a hippo. :laugh:

i think all up 3 different wrasse, 2 different cod, sweep, rainbow runner, red throat, grassie, snapper, trevally, tripod fish, longtom, tarwhine were caught at some stage by someone. a good mixed bag.

benno573 wrote:

i opened the account with a gold spot wrasse, one of the tastiest eating fish around. :woohoo: then i got hit by a freight train, and shortly after boated a white trevally of around 45cm and 1.5kg.:woohoo: they go so hard for a fish of their size! ellicat was having a ball on his lighter rig, tacklebox was into the action and some fun moments were had trying to catch a trevally on 4lb line by baden. :blink: unfortunately, both hook ups were unsuccessful..:angry: though baden still had a ball.<'><

Hi crew mates - what a great day out! I have revised Liesbeth's (tacklebox) image of our take-home to include those couple I should have hammered on the 4lb. :whistle: :lol:

It must have been a great day when my better half comes home with all the fish and I have nothing to contribute apart from a big smile :cheer: Liesbeth really showed me who wears the fishing waders in our house :blush: :laugh: .

Thanks to Benno for a really superb day on the water and for (what I'm counting) as my first fish on a HB - 1 longtom. Thanks also to Ellicat for being such great company.

Archived