Places to fish near river mouth and bay

flatty_catcher

Hey all

dad has bought himself a hornet run about and is keen to have a fish around the river mouth area.

I took him for a run down off the banks of the Brisbane river last week for threadfin but didnt do any good (only caght a 10 inch Jewie...smallest jewie iv'e ever seen :P ,pity i didnt have a camera it was a brilliant green blue color), so im hoping somone can give us a few ideas of where and when to go, just so we dont end up fishing in a stupid place,without a clue.

I dont know the river by boat and we will be using a cast net to catch bait,dad also has an assortment of lures and I have a few sp's.

regards

If you head all the way to the mouth of the river and hook a right, there is a rock wall running at right angles to the river that holds plenty of fish, big and small.

There is also a drop off next to the rock wall, between the two structures, you're in business (sounder will tell the story). Flick lures or burley and bait.

Good luck and be aware that tankers can make things a bit rough with their wake breaking on the wall.

Rocket

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys.

I am in the same situation as flatty catcher - trying to find some places to start fishing. Not interested in monsters, just getting out there, burning fossil fuels, drinking a stubby or two and talkin shiite to whomever comes along.

These sound like good places to start, so will give em a go next time.

Went out and the only thing i got was a 5cm bream(yes you read it right 5cm....)in the cast net. DannyH got one about 10 cm, but my bloody daughter got a 28cm squire on the first cast, fishing a sp like bait (cast out and wait). She is now banned from fishing for a while, my ego just can't cope.

Am waiting for Dan to email the photo and will post.

Had trouble with the sounder - it just didn't want to play so we couldn't find any holes. Will check the tides and head out again sometime soon.

Archived