Rainbow Beach Trip

shortie

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And if your very very quiet you might even get to see the elusive purple pajero. Very rare speciman to see on the beach. They are very shy, scared of sand, water, mud rocks and getting dirty. But if enough alcohol is used you can lure its driver out of hiding.

oh i thought we were going to rainbow

the thread is named wrong

i hope we get some rough weather between now and then to carve out some deep gutters within casting distance of the beach

when we were up there a few weeks ago it was so flat and shallow you had to wade out into the surf shoulder deep to have any chance of reaching a decent gutter

jeff f wrote:

oh i thought we were going to rainbow

the thread is named wrong

i hope we get some rough weather between now and then to carve out some deep gutters within casting distance of the beach

when we were up there a few weeks ago it was so flat and shallow you had to wade out into the surf shoulder deep to have any chance of reaching a decent gutter

As long as the sand has settled again by then. The tailor stayed way out last year due to the crap conditions.

Will be doing some sharking in the arvos for sure.

i'm heading up on the long weekend in june so will provide an update on beach conditions.

jeff f there is no camping on the rainbow beach side any more. :dry: sucks really, there is a few spots that would be awesome right up near DIP, right were the best rock fishing is! there are a heap of nice spots along teewah beach, i'm sure we can find one down behind some dunes with a bit of shade to keep the wind etc out.

and shortie, i believe the red pajero is even rarer than the purple one... :silly:

benno573 wrote:

i'm heading up on the long weekend in june so will provide an update on beach conditions.

jeff f there is no camping on the rainbow beach side any more. :dry: sucks really,

not wrong mate was good camping at rainbow

you could shoot over to the surf club for lunch and a few beers

between fishing assaults

Guys....

Is it time to talk gear?

Coming from Europe, pretty much all the fishing down here is new to me.

Fish, Rigs, Rods, Bait, you name it, I'll have to learn.

So what are you bringing?

I have 2 x Carp Rods (3.35 meter) which properly can cast around 40-50g but are not really build for distance casting.

I also have a 10' spinning rod that casts 30g lures quite well.

I have a Shimano 10000XTE Baitrunner reel and two smaller Okumas as well.

Also 2 ABU overheads, a red 7000 classic and a 6500CS Pro Rocket

What sort of casting distance are we talking about, are we spinning plastics/plugs or chucking live/dead bait out and on what rigs?

I wouldn't mind catching a shark from the beach, also Dart looks realy cool for a small fish and if a pelagic bites I'll be really happy.

Do you guys ever fly fish ?

Cheers guys

/Carsten

Most of the guys will be using about a 13ft rod with an Alvey side cast reel.

Need to be able to cast a reasonable distance to get beyond the breakers.

Geared up with a 3-4 gang hook a bloody big sinker and a whole pilchard.

If the conditions are right and the fish are on i may also be casting slugs.

Taylor have teeth and are likely to chew through your line so be prepared to loose a few.

I fly fish occasionally but i have never tried from the surf. Mainly i have doen this for Trout in Victoria.

you can also have a lot of fun in the right gutter on light rigs catching dart and bream etc. one of my favourite rods to use of the beach is a 6ft rod with 10lb line. you have to fine the right gutter for it to work though. otherwise, i use an 11'6" rod which can handle the big stuff if needed and cast a sinker out of sight no worries. i'm hoping to be able to live bait with some whole tailor at night time in a deep gutter for a jewie. :woohoo: off the headland is pretty good too, i will definately be heading up there at least one afternoon/night to try for my LB PB. gotta beat 17kg... :)

are they industrial strength? will they block yours too shortie? :P

so who is coming up just for the weekend? i'm sure shortie and/or i can do "taxi" runs up the beach to tewantin if needed to collect any people coming up for a few days. i think a bottle of bourbon/trip is about fair? what you reckon shortie? ;) we would ask kriso, but he'll be too busy polishing the pajero...

nah, in all seriousness guys, if you can get to tewantin we can make it work. should be a good week!!

username_taken - will you have the new subie ready to hit the beach by then mate? :woohoo:

Yep taxi runs are definatelly possible. You can park your vehicles basically right at the entrance to the beach and we can pick you up from there.

Better still there are people with vehicles coming up only for the weekend, there should be spare seats available there.

There are 2 main type of people coming on this trip.

Serious fishoes.

Fishng is a bonus type people.

Either way it will be relaxed. If ya want to fish all day all night fine. If ya want to sit around the camp site and be a bum then thats alright as well.

how did i not see this post earlier.

sounds awesome. ill most likeley be there but ill have to take the saturday off work and i probly wont use my brownie points to do that if its going to be bogus wether. if the wether looks good ill be there! how long do you guys have to drive to pick us up from the car park (i own a shit lancer).

is it any good surfing there? mite take the board in case the fishing is quiet through the day

carsten

i'll be taking a 9'spin rod with a small threadline loaded with 6lbs braid for light stuff

10' double handed bait caster with calcutta 700 and 40lbs braid for heavy livebaiting for jew and sharks

12' graphite surf spin rod with 6kg braid for throwing slugs, poppers and pilchards

rigs are pretty much standard sinker on swivel 50cm trace to hook or gang

or paternoster

a couple of poppers in the 80mm to 120 mm range

an assortment of lead slugs 30 to 80 gr

a few 150 mm shiner type plugs

and an assortment of plastics

the one piece of equipment that is vital for this type of fishing is a wading bag with a pocket , bait in the pocket

fish in the bag to save you having to keep walking up the beach all the time

hmm its looking like me and anthony might come for the weekend or possibly the whole lot depending on school. he got his P's today and his suzuki is pimpin :P

if we do we will be bringing 2 light surf rods with spin reels and 2 bream sticks for sluging in some dart and trevs

Cheers guys.

I think I might have to go out and buy a Surf rod, some Mono trace(20lb?) lead and 3way swivels.

I am so looking forward to getting up there and spend the best part of a week, this is exactly why I moved to Australia. Friggin Awesome....:woohoo:

Archived