mooloolaba early mon

benno573

hi all,

headed up to beerwah to see the old lady on sunday arvo. had the day off work on monday so though i would get in a dawn session at my favourite land based platform on the sunny coast. hit the rockwall at the mouth of the mooloolah river at about 3am monday. not much happened until 4:30 when a school of small tailor (i mean small!) came past and started hitting baits nearly as big as them. had a bit of fun landing them on a 40g raider to save the pillies for later. after they moved on, i switched back to bait with instant success. first fish was a 32cm bream. there's breakfast sorted. 6 more bream were caught and released, none smaller than 29cm, witht the biggest going 37cm. i then fluked a grassy sweetlip of 36cm and a moses perch of 29cm which sorted breakfast for the old lady and sister as well. headed home at about 8am. beaut morning out.

benno <'>-<

tacklebox wrote:

benno573 wrote:
i then fluked a grassy sweetlip of 36cm and a moses perch of 29cm

who's 'more arse than class' now hey? :P :P :laugh: great report!

hahaha!!! ME!!!! :silly:

i have often done well off that rock wall, some suprisingly big fish caught there despite boat traffic and closeness to civilisation.

unfortunately left the camera at home... :dry:

• 2 weeks later...

old woman island. fishes ok, cops some fairly heavy fishing pressure, but where doesn't? :laugh: best on/before dawn and overnight. good strucutre all around it, good drop off on the north eastern side. only about 8km from the mouth of mooloolah river, 200-300m off the beach at marcoola at most (surf launch for a yak though). for that distance travelled if the weather is up to it murphys reef off pt cartwright or the gneerings would be where i'd look, maybe only 10-12km from the river mouth.

Archived