Bribie Ocean side 8th Ave Sat 24th 6am

pcsolutionman

TerryH and myself are looking to Launch from 8th Ave Bribie this coming Saturday at 6am, Plan of attack will be to fish for some Snapper around the beacon with the hopes of some Tuna action as well. There should be a few Snapper around now, we were getting them this time last year in good numbers. anyway the more the merrier.

Lee

I didn't really get to do anything, lfet real early. We saw what looked to be yellow fin tuna busting up EVERYWHERE.... James said something about a longtail... I dunno o_O

Somehow I broke my rudder pin :blush: so couldn't really chase or maneuver properly, I broke the bottom section, so kept going with the rudder half working :blush:

Then I broke the top section of the pin, and now it just dangles rfreely :blush: yeah, trying chasing tuna like that :ohmy: and that's when I'm literally <100m away from 30-40 birds pounding the surface with tuna busting up, and I'm just outside casting range :(

End story: I ended up limping back using pedals to move forward and paddle to dig into the water ever 5 seconds to counteract the rudder :blush: did I mention I pulled the "up" section of the rudder controls apart at Hinze dragging it over some rocks? :blush: I better fix it all up before I chase anymore tuna

I got a solid smash from one of the tuna on the slugs, but no hook up:(

ive heard quite a few stories of that happening to hobies with the upgraded rudders. to much stress for the lift n stow rudder mechanism. Thats why with the 2008 model adventures they have gone to a different system. whereby you pull one cord to lower and pull the other to lift it back up.

sounds like an interesting day looking foward to the report

TerryH wrote:

Somehow I broke my rudder pin :blush: so couldn't really chase or maneuver properly, I broke the bottom section, so kept going with the rudder half working :blush:

Mmmmmm mate we need to talk :ohmy: next time for the tuna heh B)

Regards

Al

Lol it was frustrating, I had 3 rods with me too, which wouldn't have been a problem if I had a working rudder, but the number of times they were within casting range and I couldn't cast because my rudder had turned me some bizarre direction... :blush:

Edit: fishyman I don't think this is related to that mate, I think the rudder got knockd out into the water by a wave and I hadn't realised, then the yak got smacked back by a sudden dumper pushing the yak back on the rudder,

I think that's what happened

I'd rather it be the pin than something bigger and more serious.

Edit 2: Well the pin is serious enough, its' what holds the rudder to the yak, as opposed to flopping around held on by the control cords...

TerryH wrote:

Lol it was frustrating, I had 3 rods with me too, which wouldn't have been a problem if I had a working rudder, but the number of times they were within casting range and I couldn't cast because my rudder had turned me some bizarre direction... :blush:

Edit: fishyman I don't think this is related to that mate, I think the rudder got knockd out into the water by a wave and I hadn't realised, then the yak got smacked back by a sudden dumper pushing the yak back on the rudder,

I think that's what happened

I'd rather it be the pin than something bigger and more serious.

Edit 2: Well the pin is serious enough, its' what holds the rudder to the yak, as opposed to flopping around held on by the control cords...

ahh ok my bad, but still i think the 08 mods are sweet ;)

yeah probably around 50cm I guess so not bad at all. Only actually saw the tail of one sticking out of a bucket but he said they were all like that and it had a fair sized tail. They said they paddled a fair way out and the fish went off the bite once the sun came up.

Archived