My next BIG TRIP

Jordan

Hey all,

have been doing a bit of looking as to where my next trip is going to be. i heard that hervey bay will be shutting down for pelagics soon so probably wont be going there but i have also heard the illuka (spelling?) rockwall will be firing soon.

the rockwall looks like the go, but i have also just heard from a guy that i work with that he has booked tickets to cairns for cheaper than it cost me to go to kingfisher bay :ohmy: ($140)

obviously this has become a serious option. does anyone know what its like fishing up there? is it very difficult to get from the airport to fishing spots? and is it safe to camp there?

Thanks heaps in advance

Jordan

P.s anyone want to take me out on the boat this sunday? :woohoo:

land based options around cairns are a bit limited if you are not mobile. there are some good headlands etc there out of town but around cairns itself it is pretty much the wharf (which can be ok) and some croc-filled creeks, which are croc-filled. there are buses and stuff but it's a bit of a pain in the arse. i fished up there with a car a few years ago and had some success, nothing of great note. had a great time at the backpackers in town though... ;) helga und heidi.... ja!

i'm sure maxi and dusky would be able to provide you some excellent options down around the illuka way, (check www.northcoastfishingnsw.com.au ) northern nsw has some awesome LBG fishing platforms, jew will be moving around at night too, you can get decent snapper off some headlands as well. there will of course be big sea bream (like 2kg +) around in coming months at the headlands and entrances, particularly on the new moon and close to it. big greenback tailor are always a challenge off the land too. i wish i had time to come with ya and show you some of my favourite spots!!!!

landbased with out transport at cairns

or

illuka with a car and yak

i'd take illuka. at this time of year the fishing down there is great and will only get better as it gets colder

huge bream ,jew ,blackfish,drummer,blue groper,tailor and australian salmon

I am going down to Iluka next school holidays hopefully the waether will be good. You could get some good snapper there in a yak there are snapper grounds like a kilometer out. Last time I went there were massive tuna lanbased and also sharks.:( There is also many other ladbased spots from the bluff headland for taylor and jewies to the upper reaches for bass and cod.

Jason

I have caught fish landbased around Cairns.

There is some good fishing in the Cairns inlet and creeks or landbased in the Daintree.

Barra Jack Queenies etc.

There is always one thing to remember when fishing the rivers and creeks "CROCS"

I've had some magic queenie sessions up that way, illuka is brilliant, but it can be hit and miss but not a bad time of the year to be heading up there, if you do your homework you can hire a car for about $40 a day, they also have rent a bomb places for about $25 a day (if you skip the extra insurence) you can also hire a tinny for the day for about $90 which I'd recomend if you want to be able to work a few spots over the day, but there are pleanty of land based spots with a car.. Another recomendation!!! Drive south and hour and a half or so to Lucinda Jetty, I have caught barra on herring jigs from this warf, the tackle shops near buy sell bait jigs with 20 and 30 pound line, you get these wolf herring hitting your jig and next thing they get swallowed by mr barra.. The locals at the jetty can get a bit grouchy, small town, but they are pretty friendly with a bit of respect shown.

Thats my 2 bob

thanks heaps for that guys. bass tracker, sounds like the sorta spot i would be after, although im not sure i need more run-ins with angry locals...

is illuka like that? am i going to need to strap my kayak down with wire to stop it from getting stolen? or is it pretty safe?

Jordan,

Based on fish caught by funfisher (massive trevs) and the biggest mackerel I have ever seen caught by my mate Boydy (I am trying to get him to post it on this site) what about a camping trip on the inside at Moreton.

You could take the yak on the barge and walk on.

There are some awesome fish available at the moment including Tuna.

Plus you could have a crack at those massive Squid over there (Tiger Squid).

Food for thought.

Angus

yea well you actually gave me the idea of tryin the surf side of straddy. will probably be trying there this long weekend since i cant get saturday off and therefore cant do a massive trip a few hours away so ill probs be camping over there sunday nite.

yea thats what i meant by the surf side haha. ive spoken to a few ppl about shag and they said its not that good but im sure there would be some awesome reefies and a few pelagics around it. ill hopefully be hitting it this long weekend coming up.

Yeah Shag is hit and miss. Even when i was younger in a boat. But the group and dune, well we have had and seen awesome catches land based from there, so to get a little furtther out in the yak i reckon would be awesome.

Angus

Archived