2 Person Fishing Kayaks

Fozzie

Hi guys, new to the forum and the web site in general but I am after some advice in regards to the right Kayak to buy. Both my wife and I enjoy our fishing and are really keen to try a bit of fishing other than beach and Jetty. We also have three young kids who I want to introduce to the Kayak scene.

I have a couple of $K to spend and am interested in utilising this method of fishing as well as utilising it to help me get fit in the process, so a twin that I can also paddle solo would be good. - Any info or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Fozzie

Hey mate.

Check out the Vikings in the AFO shop.

The Viking Tempo 2 is a perfect 2 man fishing kayak and well in your budget.

Standard model comes with with seats, rod holders and paddles.

Loads of room and massive weight capacity. Also very stable.

Cheers mate.

If you have any questions about them just ask.

Cheers.

Angus

Hi fozzie welcome to the site mate.

Also if you look at the AFO shop there is also the viking nemo 2+1, which also looks like a fairly decent kayak and is also very affordable. Look forward to hearing from you in the future mate.

I highly recommend the Hobie Outfitter - it's a dual seater of the Hobie Outback. Not sure on costs for the 2 man yak, probably around the $2250-2500 mark. There's an article in Bush and Beach from Neil Schultz capping off the outfitter, it's a marvellous fishing platform. You really can't beat the hobies with the mirage drive (pedal power not paddle!) as a platform:)

Heath (Beefa) might be able to offer his opinion as to how it performed with just him in the kayak. You may wish to put some weight in the front (like a sand bag or something) to help counterbalance all the weight being in the back of the yak.

Although, not sure how it would go in getting you fit, you're able to move around at speed with virtually no effort, even against a strong headwind.

I would seriously consider getting 2 single kayaks rather than 1. There are a lot of 2 seaters out there that end up unused because one partner or the other loses interest or has to get their hair done, do the shopping etc. And while it is possible to paddle or peddle a 2 seater in good conditions it can take a lot of effort solo if the wind gets up. Getting 2 kayaks solves this problem and can be done for around the same price.

How old are the kids? kids under 8 can usually fit in one of the hatches/wells of a single seater kayak. For 3 kids though perhaps a good compromise would be a 2 seater (say the nemo 2+1) and a 1 seater if one of the kids is big enough to paddle by themselves.

Lazybugger wrote:

I would seriously consider getting 2 single kayaks rather than 1. There are a lot of 2 seaters out there that end up unused because one partner or the other loses interest or has to get their hair done, do the shopping etc. And while it is possible to paddle or peddle a 2 seater in good conditions it can take a lot of effort solo if the wind gets up. Getting 2 kayaks solves this problem and can be done for around the same price.

How old are the kids? kids under 8 can usually fit in one of the hatches/wells of a single seater kayak. For 3 kids though perhaps a good compromise would be a 2 seater (say the nemo 2+1) and a 1 seater if one of the kids is big enough to paddle by themselves.

Lazybugger is a wise man, I concur.

Regards

Al

Biggles wrote:

Lazybugger wrote:

Lazybugger is a wise man, I concur.

Regards

Al

This is usually the advice I give as well. 2 Is better than one. But for a family Kayak, where the kids may not be up to paddling non stop, I make the tempo or nemo 2 + 1 suggestion.

In saying that, my mate and his mrs just got a Tempo 2 and have been using it every weekend. Absolutely loving it and finding it no trouble to manage whatsoever.

Ill see if I can get him to post some piccies.

Angus

My parents have a 2 seater that is fine to use on your own. But I only really take it up sheltered waterways, could e tough out in open waterways. If you're keen on fishing, sitting in the rear seat can be annoying because you have to always twist at funny angles to make casts.

TerryH wrote:

I highly recommend the Hobie Outfitter - it's a dual seater of the Hobie Outback. Not sure on costs for the 2 man yak, probably around the $2250-2500 mark. There's an article in Bush and Beach from Neil Schultz capping off the outfitter, it's a marvellous fishing platform. You really can't beat the hobies with the mirage drive (pedal power not paddle!) as a platform:)

Heath (Beefa) might be able to offer his opinion as to how it performed with just him in the kayak. You may wish to put some weight in the front (like a sand bag or something) to help counterbalance all the weight being in the back of the yak.

Although, not sure how it would go in getting you fit, you're able to move around at speed with virtually no effort, even against a strong headwind.

I had my outfitter set up as solo out at Hinze for the camp/comp weekend and worked a tereat as a solo on the freshwater as terry said the front 1/4 or so did sit up abit but a bit of weight up front would counteract that( i now use 30kg's of weights in a crate up front) They are a great work out on the legs and gets the heart beating no worries, i find it not to hard to paddle also but I am 6ft6", also the wife loves getting out on it for peddle she reads her magizines drinks her wine and eats her cheese and crackers whilst trolling a lure and I sit down back and with my sounder and rods trolling along it's good fun.

Cheers

Heath

Stock base model with your 2 drive systems 2 paddles, seats 4 flush mount rod holders is $2990 [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Hobie_018-1bbd9d36fbabda5c9fd1a33ae6685472.jpg

post-1898-144598459276_thumb.jpg

I have a Nemo 2+1, My dad got it so we could both fish out of it and we were just getting into Kayak fishing.

Its a good kayak, have also had 3 people on it, while it is a bit squashed its still possible.

I have been out it in it myself a few times and its easy to manage, Im not big by any means and I still can maneuver it easily.

are hobies the only kayaks on the market that are peddle powerd? id love to have a look at a peddle one but holy molly 2.5 grand seems like a really inflated price, and if there is no competition then im sure that would be why.

has viking looked into sending out their own peddle range?

Jordan: Apparantly its a patented deisgn. Hence Hobie monopolises the market. Im not sure how air tight the patent is though as usually a subtle change in design can get around that.

Anyway this is qualified word of mouth info but it sounds plausible.

Angus

What is a kayak worth?, simple, it worth only what someone is prepared to pay.

Most of the decent fishing kayaks on the market retail somewhere just under the 2k mark, so for a Kayak with a mirage drive system to retail for 600 or 700 bucks more, it's totally worth it IMHO :blush: . I purchased my Hobie Revolution recently and only paid $2280 brand new, and as I said, compared to the other major brands on the market the price is totally appropriate.

Just my 2 cents.

Regards

Al

• 1 month later...

hey there guys and gals,

Firstly I would like to say thanks to all those that offered advice when I tendered my query. It was very helpful and very much appreciated.

Just thought I should give you an update on the Kayak 'D'.

Following Angus' advice we went down and spoke to Alex at Viking Kayaks on Gympie Rd with the tribe in tow. Told him what we were after and had alook at what was on offer and settled for a Nemo 2+1 in the Mango. We got a pair of seats, paddles, paddle holders and a couple of rod holders. The day I went to pick it up Alex also threw in some tie downs so I could secure it to the roof of the Jeep. He was a top help and i was more than happy to part with my money for what we got.

It is nice and light and fairly easy to get up and down off the jeep, which I thought may be difficult for my wife who is only 5'2'' but we manage easily.

First time we took it out was a few weeks ago and we just went for a paddle to get used to it and had a ball. It was Suzie's first time and she really took to it even with the occassional paddle clash. Must admit to sore shoulders the following day

The second time was on 29 June at Dohles rocks. We loaded the Yak up with the rods and tubs and threw the crab pot on as well for good measure. We paddled up a small creek where we dropped the pot in then paddled back into the North pine proper with the veiw of the Hornibrook in the distance. We found a lovely little drop off where the tide was running out, dropped anchor and started wetting a line. Well! Suzie's second cast of the day and BANG she was off. Much to her jubulation she managed to land her first ever Flatty. A nice 35cm who was not happy. Her very next cast and she was off again. This time she managed to get another nice flatty upto the side of the yak and before I could get the net he spat the hook. Bugger! Anyway we fished that spot till the bait was gone and came away with the one nice Flatty and five nice whiting. Not a bad christening for the Yak.

We still need to learn how to economise with what we take on board with us but we had a ball.

Sounds like the shot there. I have just bought my first yak and looking at what to take and not take etc. The thread is here

http://www.australianfishing.com.au/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=237&func=view&catid=53&id=124714#124714

And yes, I will be checking everyones hatches now for randomly stashed children, although I think getting them through 100mm opening could be a squeeze!

Archived