Anyone heard of Banax reels?

Feral

I'm looking around for an elcheapo LH baitcaster (already got a pflueger from Mo Tackle, but I want a low profile one).

I came across these, the price is in the "who cares if it breaks on the first trip" range. Found very little about them on the web, some comments that one or two of the other models they have are chinese copies of Calcutta's - but thats about it.

This bloke normally only sells brand name reels, so I figure it probably "wont" break on the first trip, I'll probably pick one up and see what it is like - purely in the name of research for my fellow AFO members.......

Yeah the missus didn't believe that either.

http://www.knkfishing.com/html/zest_series.html

i bought some cheap reels before and i find shimanos way better. they really know where is the major parts that should be put in good parts and where to use cheap materials for economy reason.

the banax and ticas may look ok with metals all around the body but time will tell. shimanos always win.

but still, i'm not buying cheap reels anymore cuz i believe a good reel can only serves me better and lasts longer.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I have not tried mine as yet, but Clawhammer took his out to North Pine on the weekend, and its dead already. Some small plastic screw in the guts has stripped, and the reel wont engage on the drag any more, so its kaput.

Wonder how long mine will last.

I had a Banax Tova BC it caught a lot of nice fish and I gave it an absolute thrashing (in both fresh and salt) and it lasted 7 (with very little care) years I had it matched with a Daiwa pro-caster and once it was worn in it cast very well, I have only just replaced it 3 months ago with the same reel and so far it looks like a repeat of the last one. I think I paid around $100 for it, they sell a whole range of banax at Pro-Catch at Sunnybank.

Archived