Fishing wharfs in Brissy River

Ash

Hey all,

Just wondering if someone could confirm for me the rules around fishing the commercial wharves in the Brissy river.

Do you have to ve more then 30 METERS or FEET from the wharfs. Also, does this rule apply to any wharf? Meaning as long as im a certain distants away from any wharf i can fish it? Thinking about hitting some up soon, and dont want to be thrown out or what ever

Its 30m from wharves with ships on them or where they are working on them. The Water Police told me that you can fish as close as you like but if security ask you to move away move out to 30m and keep fishing. They also told us which wharves were holding good schools of fish.

Terry

bigtez wrote:

Its 30m from wharves with ships on them or where they are working on them. The Water Police told me that you can fish as close as you like but if security ask you to move away move out to 30m and keep fishing. They also told us which wharves were holding good schools of fish.

Terry

care to share the wealth? :woohoo:

We were fishing the river yesterday and drifting along the drop off in front of one of the birthing points of the BP warf. There was no ship birthed.

We would have been about 30 mtrs from the birthing point and at least 50mtrs from the actual warf.

Well needless to say we a visit from Port Security who asked me if I new that I had to be 50 mtrs away from any point of that structure.

Well to my knowledge it is 30 mtrs but he said it was 50 mtrs am I incorrect or maybe I heard wrong.

The other point is what is considered to be part of the warf structure.

Do we now have to consider the pipe line as being part of the structure.

Has any one seen an actual map of the port of Brisbane area (I think it is from Fisherman Island to Breakfast Creek).

I know that it states that you cant't be withing 30 mrts of a warf or moared vessel etc but does any one have any info that states what actualy is considered under the 30mtr (50mtr) other than that.

the old man and i got done off patrick wharfs by security, and was told it was 50 metres...

other times it has been 30 metres (yeah, get done a bit there actually).

I think they just say 50 metres sometimes because our 50 metres, in reality is probably about 25 metres.

They are always pretty cool about it though, would hate it if they started noting rego's and fining people after their 3rd warning or sumptin. that would really suck.

Mack_Attack

Only warnings thus far.

we drift 2 much, either 2wards wharfs, or channel. we love drifting, catch so many fish that way.

Just thinking, down the track, they may start actually giving out fines through perhaps a system of 3 strikes and u get a fine type thing.

So we watch where we are drifting these days as we dont want to ruin it for anybody.

Odds are they are not going to prosecute you unless you are a serial offender. They have no way of proving what distance you actually are away from the wharf etc.

If you want to be difficult, ask them how they know you are within the prohibited zone.

Here is some more info from the Port of Brisbane website. Looks like you cannot argue with them unless you have an accurate measuring device on board.

Cheers

Ray

Waterside Access

Signage

Access to the security regulated port is controlled by perimeter fencing, control points, identity cards and signage. Signs are positioned around the port, and indicate restricted land and water areas and zones. Penalties apply if anyone enters a restricted zone. One penalty point = $110.

Waterside access to operating wharves is restricted to 30 metres from the wharves. If a vessel is alongside a wharf, waterside restricted zones can be activated which restricts access to 30 metres from the outer side of the ship.

Signs warning that a waterside restricted zone may be activated are located on all the wharves at the Port of Brisbane. Unauthorised access to these areas carries a penalty of 50 units (or $3,750). We conduct continued patrols of the port’s waterside area by our patrol vessels, PortWatch 1 and PortWatch 2.

Under no circumstances is fishing allowed under any wharf at the port or within 30 metres of an operating wharf.

In the interest of detecting and deterring any unauthorised activity within the port, we ask you please follow these rules and requests.

rayke1938 wrote:

Here is some more info from the Port of Brisbane website. Looks like you cannot argue with them unless you have an accurate measuring device on board.

Cheers

Ray

Waterside Access

Signage

Access to the security regulated port is controlled by perimeter fencing, control points, identity cards and signage. Signs are positioned around the port, and indicate restricted land and water areas and zones. Penalties apply if anyone enters a restricted zone. One penalty point = $110.

Waterside access to operating wharves is restricted to 30 metres from the wharves. If a vessel is alongside a wharf, waterside restricted zones can be activated which restricts access to 30 metres from the outer side of the ship.

Signs warning that a waterside restricted zone may be activated are located on all the wharves at the Port of Brisbane. Unauthorised access to these areas carries a penalty of 50 units (or $3,750). We conduct continued patrols of the port’s waterside area by our patrol vessels, PortWatch 1 and PortWatch 2.

Under no circumstances is fishing allowed under any wharf at the port or within 30 metres of an operating wharf.

In the interest of detecting and deterring any unauthorised activity within the port, we ask you please follow these rules and requests.

Whoops... someone cannot do their maths or they have just copied the signage from NSW and havent changed it properly. I am 99.9% positive that its $75 up here, which agrees with part B of the sign but not part A

if 1 penalty unit was $75, 50 of them make the $3750. I think you are about right there booty.

easy way take a 30m long piece of 80lb fishing line and tie a snapper lead to one end, the other end to the boat. throw it towards the wharf/ship, if you hear a splash you are not too close, if you here a loud clunk, move out a bit... :silly:

Archived