hows this for after sales service?

Feral

Pulled my Alvey 650C down to clean her our and put some grease on her before the Awoonga trip this morning. Now those of you who read the Awoonga thread may have noticed my comment about being in denial about needing reading glasses.

Suffice to say I did not take proper notice of a certain springs location before I stripped the reel down (well ok, I did not see the bl@@dy thing!it was just an extra when I re-assembled the reel!)

It had me stumped, could not work out where this spring went, every time I put it in it would fly off across the room, and I would have to sweep the floor to find it!

Looked on the ausfish Alvey reel maintenance site, no diagram for my reel, stopped making it years ago.

So in desperation I send Alvey an email.

You know - Dear sirs I bought this fishing reel off you a bit over 25 years ago, would you be able to tell me where to put the hookie shaped spring bit?

Within 15 minutes I had a reply from Glenn Alvey, no worries, correct assembly diagram for the particular spring and assembly (part of the drag switch) for my reel!

Hows that for after sales service! 25 years after sale!

picked up an Alvery at the Victoria Point VMR swap thingy last week end the drag wasnt working correctly, but being an Alvey I was sure it was an easy fix... a called Alvey for some parts info... and they siad if I have no luck just bring it in and they will fix it no probs....

Again this reel would be around 25+ years old and I didnt even get if from them and they still look after you....

Oh and a quick clear and re grease was all it needed , running like new again...

It was 700 surf champion in F/glass and S/Steel $40

Thats an excellent score for that price! The older ones are solid spool and stainless back, in my opinion much sturdier than the new holy ones with graphite backs.

Ray has one or two of the 700 series, but I never really liked rods bigger than about 10 foot, which those are a bit big for, so have stuck with the 650's myself.

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2006/11/02 19:15

How's that for service you say - that's is quality top shelf stuff.

I can't get service like that for stuff I boought last year, let alone 25years.

I have purchased a new HP PC for home and when doing so I upgraded to xp pro. I also purchased a service support warrenty.

Got it home and it wouldn't boot up so I ring support and got this response.

\"Sorry sir we don't support XP Pro only home edition\"

I said what the fcuk - \"I just bought it and the guy in the shop sold me the pro and the service.\" Then I got:

\"Sir if you want me to help you will need to pay $40 service - can I have your credit card number\".

And my PC was only 2 hrs old - I wonder what their response will be after 25 years. They'll want my left nut and 3 grand children, bloody greedy world.

Good on you Alvey

BD

Post edited by: Brian D, at: 2006/11/02 19:32

Archived