Storm King Dam and Churchbank Weir?

Angus

Hey guys.

Important business took me out in the south west of our state over the weekend.

I could not take the time to fish, but used it a little bit of a recon.

I was wondering what people could tell me about firstly Storm King Dam. Man this place looked aaaaaaaawesome. With its facilities i reckon it would be an awesome place for a large AFO camping maybe in conjunction with Sports Tuition?

Secondly i drove past a much closer place called Churchbank weir. Now this name rings bells in my mind but i just cant place why?

Anyway any advice would be most appreciated as I am very keen to get back out with a good fishing crew and check these places out.

Angus

Aaron H wrote:

Churchbank weir I have fished a few times and caught heaps of eels and eel tailed catfish, supposed to be bass and yellas in there but I have not caught any in about half a dozen trips, but that was land based, wouldn't mind taking the yaks there though.

Cheers Aaron. I did not actually see the water only the turn off. So it would be yakable country?

Would you need to get land owners persmission or anything?

Angus

ellicat wrote:

That's funny, I was talking to Jeff about Churchbank Weir just yesterday. Sounds like nothing has changed - I used to fish it as a kid for the same results as Aaron.

Have never fished Storm King, but it holds the same species as Glenlyon Dam, but is pretty small.

Yeah it didnt look huge. But its 100% and is great looking. Looks like more of river system than a Dam. But there is a basin.

Anyway I am really keen to get back there.

Angus

Plastic Man wrote:

Storm King is one of the most well stocked murray cod dams around and i think it is electric only too

Mate thats what I heard :P

Also I like the fact thats its electric only as id love to yak it. Not being a huge dam and all i figure you could cover good ground.

Angus

Can't really help with Churchbank Weir, but I grew up about 12 minutes drive away from Storm King Dam.

As others have said it's only a small dam, right up in the headwaters of the Darling Catchment. There is a fairly active restocking group, to top up the supplies of Murray Cod, Golden & Silver Perch, also there is a resident population of catties as well. And as far as I'm aware there is no carp in there, either that or the big cod are keeping them under control :woohoo: The dam is full again after many years of drought, so plenty of little spots for the fishies to play.

As for boat access, not sure what the go is there, as I've only ever fished there landbased, but some weekends you could hear the big V8 ski boats from the back parts of our property, which are about 6km from the dam as the crow flies. Not sure whether these were designated ski weekends or what the story is?

Being only 3hrs from Brisneyland (2.5 if ya know the back ways) it would be a great location for a camp, but may I suggest summer :P I was speaking to my oldies one morning last week and it was - 8 degrees C at 6.30am and mum was hanging some washing out on the line at about 7.00am and they were freezing as she hung them out! :S

Cheers,

Matt

P.S. Just remembered, I know where an "artificial reef" is in Storm King Dam :P A few years back during the fishing comp they have there, some of me mates made up a raft out of a few old 44's and some planks to "fish" off during the day, needless to say it ended up on the bottom of the dam by the end of the weekend... :laugh:

mangler wrote:

P.S. Just remembered, I know where an "artificial reef" is in Storm King Dam :P A few years back during the fishing comp they have there, some of me mates made up a raft out of a few old 44's and some planks to "fish" off during the day, needless to say it ended up on the bottom of the dam by the end of the weekend... :laugh:

Gus,

Used to fish Strom King from the canoe. I think the permits were required for power boats, not paddle/pedal craft. Things may have changed since then though.

In spite of heavy stocking rates there are other lakes that fish better for cod. Nice quiet piece of water. Most of the back half is fairly shallow. The very best looking spots are in the no fishing zone close to the wall. Damn!

Oh...Churchbank Weir is where I caught my very first fish. My first few dozen actually. Spangled perch and jewies.

It may ring a bell because some poor sod drowns there every few years (whenever it overflows).

(No, before you ask, not the same poor sod every year either Kris). :dry:

Fished OK for small bass after Moogerah overflowed many, many moons ago. Not much there now other than the species already mentioned.

Archived