Awoonga Report

Dec

Well it didn’t look good we flew up on Wednesday and they had only caught 2 fish in 4 days one 60cm then the other 91cm. We arrived drove to the cabin got the rods set up and we were off there were 2 boats the A team in Robos boat Dad and Robo then our boat me John and Pete in Steves stratos (fasted boat I have ever been in and we didn’t go full speed) Anyway we went to our first spot nothing so we then moved up the Boyne River fished a small bay that had produced before but nothing. We then moved to where the A team were fishing a shallow weed bed. We anchored up and after about 45 min Petes frog got inhaled which I saw. Then after a short fight in came in a 75cm fish after a quick pic in he goes. John then tied on a big evergreen wake bait he got a few big boils behind that but no hits. We then moved on to the first bay we fished and the other boat went to a weed bed behind Dingo Island. We had decided we would fish into the night as someone at the boat ramp said that they bit there heads off last night. So we anchored up and at 7pm we got the first hook up, John got it 1 jump and it spat the hook. Then it went off heaps of hits hook ups and 4 fish landed 1 for me and 3 for Pete and none for John. We stopped getting hits at abut 9pm so we moved out the front of the bay for a few more dropped fish. We then went back to the cabin. After about 10 min the A team came in and had 3 fish 2 for dad and one for Robo all fish were all around 75-90. We didn’t take to may pics as the flash from the camera we found attracted a swarm of trollers. Woke up in the morning went for a walk down to the Boyne river behind the camp site for a look after I had walked down by the river for about half an hour and then saw the croc sign and a second sign saying there has been a recent sighting of a croc in the area. We then left at about 2pm for the boat ramp went out to the same bay as we fished the night before to get 3 Savage tugs before night we then went to behind Dingo Island as it was very windy at our spot. We got the first fish then the A team got the next 5 all on black and gold slick rigs again. I then got dropped off in the other boat to fish the rest of the night as John and Pete needed to sleep. We got nothing for the rest of the night so we went home and slept. Got up in the morning and went for a fish the most exciting thing was we had a monster barra get a fright at the front of the boat. We then went home and slept. Woke up and set off at 4pm for the last session. Got to the spot in a 20 knot wind we decided to stick fishing there I was had 2 jumpers and long pants and was still cold, perfect conditions. Got 2 hits just on dusk then at 7pm John got his first fish of the trip (it only took 6 days ) at 86cm. Then Pete got a fish saddly it was gut hooked and died it went about 70cm. Then I got about 5 hit and 1 I don’t know how it didn’t hook up as it took drag and wrecked about 15cm of my leader so it went right down its throat. Went back at about 10pm as we had not had a hit in about an hour. Got home get a text from dad we have 11 fish it’s going off we couldn’t believe it that dead fish must have shut down our fish. Anyway I went to sleep woke up in the morning to hear all these stories of the fish they had caught including dads first 1meter plus fish going 101cm biggest fish of the trip. Then we left at 7:30am for the trip home 6 hours 15 minutes a lot longer then the 1 hour 15 min plane trip up.

End tally

Me 1 fish

Dad 10 fish

Robo 8 fish

John 1 fish

Pete 5 fish

Dan 1 fish (he flew down when we arrived)

Got 3 possible barra trips coming up :woohoo:

Archived