My first service.

liventhedream

Thought I would through this up here as I have had good advice about my boat from you bloke's.

Had my first service done about a month ago. $200 after spending $26500 at this fine establishment. Any way, while it was in for service I asked them to check out the lean in the boat, fix the trim that fell of the first time I took the boat out, tell me why it sounds like it breaking down from 2600-3500 rpm and fix the leaking 2stroke resiviour.

Boat lean is normal,(apparently they took for on the water(I hardly dought it as there was no fuel in it, same as when I picked it up.))

Trim was not fixed and I nearly drove away, then I noticed and asked about why, they fixed while I stood there.

Flat spot was, bend in fuel line(what) and some gunk found in fuel body of carby. Still sounds like it is breaking down in that revrange today.

The 2stroke resiviour still leaks on nearly full tilt.

I also have a question, in the first service they are suposed to do head bolt retention, after I had a look under the couwling I noticed there is no paint missing of any bolts under there,ie: there hasen't been any spaners in there at all. I wounder if they did any thing or just charged me for the fun of it.

Now I am not a mechanic but have been building car motors for a while, and know how important the head bolt retention is, I ask you, if this is not done on an outboard, does this put me in danger or just shorten the life of the motor.

Any info please.

Sorry for the rambaling, I feel like they are doin a number on me and my lack of knowlage.

Sorry I can't help you too much with the service questions , cause as a mechanic I make a bloody good chippy. But if you are not happy with service vote with your feet ,a good service dept for the mercs is northside marine give them a call talk to wayne always found them very helpfull and wont spend your money unnessaserly.

you poor buggar! sometimes we as consumers are just to bloody nice to the likes of these people, eg,you bought a boat, spent good $$$ and had a few problems with it.so you take it back and this is where it starts, the trailer makes a bloody racket driving down the highway, and any bumps, well:ohmy: :angry: you think to yourself bloody boat yards, the motor has got a hikup, maybe a few more things, maybe not, could you please have a look at it for me please, and his reply will be, we'll do that for ya it will be all sorted out,{at a price too} what if you went in, and spoke to the boss, and really let him know you are not happy with all the bulshit you have had to put up with, let alone the lies, {WATERTESTS}?? hmmm. let him know why you think this, and if you can do this in front of customers even better, don't be worried about making a scene, after all they are working for YOU, so don't ask them to do things, you bloody well demand them. who cares what they think, IT'S ALL ABOUT YOU, not them,, they must hate me with a passion:P , but i don't give a toss as more and more people are getting other people to do work on their motors anyway, yes qualified, the service is so much more personel, anyway best of luck with it all

i agree with rob m8- 99.99% of those serviceman at the yeards are money stealing tossers-

but there are some that genuinly care as i have read in some threads, yet to find one myself...

m8, u paid for a product- a no fuss, perfetcly working boat which you should feel safe on- if sumthgin not working or u just dont feel right bring the thing back and make sure they fix everything (or at least explain to you why its happening) so you know your vessel better.

if not, the only person getting screwed over is urself m8.

nice rig anyway, hope u get the hicups sorted and get into sum serious fishign soon.

-Wiseguy

Have to run shortly, but let me guess its a oil mixing 2 stroke Mercury? I will put up some stuff a little later about the Sale Of Goods Act and what and what isnt 'merchantible quality' and 'fit for the purpose for which it was intended'. Its suprising when you throw around a few key words such as those what things get done.

PM me with what motor and where and will give you some advice.

something just came to mind. i was going up to moolloollaba with a friend, he was towing a 6.00 mtr seafarer victory, the rig is 5 years old, 1 tyre decided to let go on the highway, delaminated, so the spare was put on and i noticed it had a bubble in it.we pulled into the first servo just up the road to check, i saw that 2 remaining tyres had delaminated, so we got the boat home on the back of a tilt tray, and off he goes to get in touch with a distributor of these tyres, i thought good luck with 5 year old tyres mate.the guy behind the counter kicked up a bit of a ruckus when he pointed out that he demanded 5 brand new tyres,,,my friend pointed out he did not want the tyres replaced under any sort of warranty, but it was a manurfacturing fault, which apparently override any sort of warranty's, and he got 5 brand new tyres there and then

mate i come from a service background, i was assisant service manager for one of the biggest car dealer networks in QLD. if my guys did this i would have them begging for mercy the minit i found out about it, you certainly have a valid complaint, also if they water tested it wouldnt they have notices your trim not working? very poor on there behalf thats for sure, if you want any advice on how to bring this up with them let me know as i know the key things you need to do get them kissin your arse bending over back wards to please you. first one that makes them jump, the first thing is call and ask for the dealer principle not the service manager and demand he come to the phone even if you have to hold on the phone ask him for the number of the state reps for (a) the manufacturer of the boat and (B) the manufacturer of your outboard, tell him you are calling them to report they have ripped you off and destroyed any good opinion you have for the manufacturer as they say there is nothing wrong yet your boat doesnt proform in any way that the manufacturer claims it should. all of a sudden you have the DP wanting you to bring your boat back to be looked at again ASAP so they can fix it before the franchise reps get word of it and tear them a new one. also i recommend taking a day off and putting the boat in the water with them before the try to fix it so you can show them what it is doing and put forward that it is un acceptable. then once they have caried out the repairs tell them you will pick it up once you have seen the boat in the water again and it is up to standard of what you want. also make clear from the begining that you will not be paying for the reapirs at all as the boat should have never of been delivered in the state it is in, and that you have allready paid them twice to fix it, once being the predilvery charge and second time being at the first service.

also let them know the acurrent affair is very interested in your situation with being supplied an unsafe boat from a large boat dealer with all the boating accidents that have occured this year and would like you to take it to another dealer for a report on the problems your boat has etc....

head gasket retention: ?

it depends on the gasket used? (marine head gaskets are a little diff then automotive head gaskets) but in moast cases they are done in factory!

you will have to check a manual for the wright procedure! (or if its compulsary to retention after run in?)

or give me the motor details and i can tell you?

dont go too hard out on these guys!(all people have bad days) maybe just give them the oppertunity to rectify there reputation and go from there?

if the motor is a carb model i can tune it for you!

i can also look at the other problems you described!

goodluck Ian

rumrunner wrote:

head gasket retention: ?

it depends on the gasket used? (marine head gaskets are a little diff then automotive head gaskets) but in moast cases they are done in factory!

you will have to check a manual for the wright procedure! (or if its compulsary to retention after run in?)

or give me the motor details and i can tell you?

dont go too hard out on these guys!(all people have bad days) maybe just give them the oppertunity to rectify there reputation and go from there?

if the motor is a carb model i can tune it for you!

i can also look at the other problems you described!

goodluck Ian

don't go to hard out on these guys! you have got to be kiddin eh, the prices we pay to have things fixed in a proffesional workplace these days, if i go to them with a problem i want the bloody thing fixed, and fixed right first time, next time you break down out there you give you local friend a call and see if he'll come tow you back. this poor bloke told them about a trim problem and they were too bloody lazy to look at that for him, lucky he pointed it out for a second time,can so called outboard mechanics not read a job card, i don't know but i have my doubts,,i wonder if they charged him for this?? so if this poor buggar has a failure out there somewhere, he can blame the poor mechanic for having a bad day eh, come on mate, you can't be serious, but this is only MY opinion, yes although a touchy one

Archived