Bringing a smile to a youngsters face! Jacob's Well

kreel

When ECat put up the post "Who would you like to meet", I was simultaneously chuffed and worried.

Chuffed that my name was mentioned (thanks Jords) and worried that I wouldn't live up to the awe and wonder that this youngster attached to me. Undaunted Tacklebox and I arranged a little outing to Jacob's Well with the young fella himself - Surfingant. You can see the glee and excitement in his face from the moment we met.

post-2889-144598720054_thumb.jpg

We met up at the appointed hour of 6:30am at Jacob's Well, the youngsters were all excited and arrived a half hour early. There was Rocket and Surfingant and his cousin Richard (these 2 are disturbingly close) all ready to wet a line. It was just after dead low so the pedal up the canals was more of a drift as the tide did most of the work.

post-2889-144598720089_thumb.jpg

I was about to tell Ant and Richard about the high risk of being outfished by Tacklebox when a "woot" broke the calm morning air and sure enough tBox was the first cab off the ranks - a small bream that she deemed too small to record with a photo.

We were well into the canals before anyone else added to the tally. As it turned out tBox and I had cracked the code for the day - it was a warm day and the fish were favouring the depths in the centre of the canals. I dropped what looked like a small Jewie before landing the second on a 3" nuclear chicken on a 1/6 jig head. The Jewie would have been around the 40cm mark although I didn't measure it, knowing that it ws well under size.

post-2889-144598720127_thumb.jpg

tBox joined me in the same area with the same technique with a 4" nuc-chick on a 1/8 jig-head and was soon onto her second bream of the day at around 25.5 cm, which she returned to grow into a decent meal size.

post-2889-144598720096_thumb.jpg

The third fish in quick succession in this area, a squire, gave me a nice little fight on light gear but was under-sized and was again returned.

post-2889-144598720106_thumb.jpg

A short pedal down the canal and I was onto what I thought was a big fat bream only to find a Grunter on the line and another great fight with line whizzing off the spool and me cranking it back in again. The Grunter went about 40 cm and turned out to be my only take-away for the day. A bit further up and we were confronted by 2 ugly looking beggars on a tinny, turns out it was Sweresy and Doobsie who had been on the water since sparrow's and were quietly making their way back. Just a word to the wise fellas: if you spend all your time fishing and miss too much beauty sleep there's only one outcome!

post-2889-144598720113_thumb.jpg

Richard had elected to stay on the sand banks looking for flatties so we wouldn't see him again until we made or way back. Ant and Rocket were quietly swearing under their breath, something about smart-arse tBox and wanker Kreel with their rubbish luck, until Ant managed a first fish of the day and a first Jack (Jacks have eluded me and I was more than a little jealous). Just a small one that was balanced by the smile on Ant's face.

post-2889-144598720121_thumb.jpg

It wasn't long before Ant was onto his second fish and another species to add to our mixed bag. We instructed him in the "von Gorrie Method" of fish presentation: extend the hand holding the head of the fish towards the camera keeping the other hand close to the body - magically the fish appears much more impressive in the shot as can be seen below.

post-2889-144598720065_thumb.jpg

a little more clearly here:

post-2889-144598720073_thumb.jpg

We were all stepping lightly around Rocket as he was still to put runs on the board. The tension finally broke when Rocket landed a Moses Perch … apparently, we all heard the noise and splashing but as no-one was there to confirm it … I'm sure it was a beauty (if you can't take the piss out of a mate when he's broken his duck, when can you?).

We found a spot where bait was showing on the sounder and some larger fish were flashing across the screen and I decide to give them a crack. It turns out they were Tarpon and I managed to get 2 boat side after a great little tussle, but alas none were boated.

The sun was getting high and I was getting progressively more burned so we decided to turn for home. tBox is never one to let a chance go by so on the way back her trolled Manns 5+ pulled in a lovely little cod just under eatin' size.

post-2889-144598720076_thumb.jpg

We rejoined Richard at the mouth of the canals - these boys are very close! and it was back in to tell the lies about the day.

post-2889-144598720083_thumb.jpg

Species for the day:

Bream, Jewie, Squire, Grunter, Mangrove Jack, Moses Perch, Tarpon and Cod.

Always a pleasure fishing with Mr Rocket and very pleased to meet Ant and his kin, I hope you guys will join us again sometime.

Hi Kurt,

Rocket gave a popper a go early on, I think, to no avail. Sweresy and Doobs said they got onto some Giant Herring earlier in the day.

We've been surprised by the variety and quality of fish in the area over the years.

I forgot to mention the 2 sharks we saw jumping clear of the water. One was near me and would have gone about 4 foot, while tBox saw a similarly sized one do some aerobatics as well later in the morning.

"I forgot to mention the 2 sharks we saw jumping clear of the water. One was near me and would have gone about 4 foot, while tBox saw a similarly sized one do some aerobatics as well later in the morning. " :dry:

4 foot Sharks jumping out of the friggen water!! :huh: :whistle: :blink:

I think we need a bigger Kayak!! :unsure:

Not only is tacklebox a fishing machine she catches all the good looking ones as well :lol: that bream is absolutely gleaming and top colours on the cod. That is an awesome variety you all pulled and had me thinking of the ol forest gump line with a twist, fishing is like a box of chocolates ya never know what you are going to get :woohoo: The water must have been pretty clear going by the fish colours. Enjoyed the pics and report.

Well what can I say, to meet the almighty kreel and the lovely tacklebox is an experience that I will never forget. Some say the best moment of their life is marriage, others having children, a few even say buying their first home. I for one will never be able to top meeting you Baden, I will stop trying now. There are a few people that need to be thanked for making the day most enjoyable, first of all keen-as-fisho without whom I would not have had the use of a Hobie for the day which I am sure after last weeks jack provided enough mojo to enable me to get one. Secondly Rocket75, thankyou very much for the use of your paddle it came in handy while landing that jack that kreel could not :P thirdly to Manni for selling me the lure that caught said jack. Thanks must also go out to Angus for providing the inspiration behind the Moses perch photo, it would have looked small otherwise :whistle: It was a most enjoyable day and was a pleasure to meet you rocket and tacklebox, and you too I suppose kreel. I did manage a cod as well, another first for me and note the lure in the photo as that was pretty much the last I saw of it, it was donated to another suspected cod shortly after.

post-7024-144598720191_thumb.jpg

post-7024-144598720203_thumb.jpg

Till we do it again,

Ant.

Hi Kurt,

Rocket gave a popper a go early on, I think, to no avail. Sweresy and Doobs said they got onto some Giant Herring earlier in the day.

We've been surprised by the variety and quality of fish in the area over the years.

I forgot to mention the 2 sharks we saw jumping clear of the water. One was near me and would have gone about 4 foot, while tBox saw a similarly sized one do some aerobatics as well later in the morning.

thats awesome...

do the security guards stil get upset with people going in their

There is now a sign posted at the entrance to the marina to deter people from entering to fish, so we've stopped fishing there. It's a pity really as there are some good fish in and around the boats.

Apart from that we've had no issues with security guards.

4 foot Sharks jumping out of the friggen water!! :huh: :whistle: :blink:

I think we need a bigger Kayak!! :unsure:

Maybe a brown yak would be more useful

god-like kreel and the lovely tacklebox is an experience that I will never forget.

I'm not actually the God, but I have been associated with the Jebus fella before.

Great report again Baden you even kept up with that bloke Tacklebox

Always an enjoyable read

Why is it always me keeping up with Tacklebox - there were 3 other guys there as well and I did ok. I actually put a fish on the plate. And as we all know - "If its not on the plate it didn't happen"

Once more a thank you to Angus von Gorie for the inspiration and guidance in all things dodgy fishing. Without you mate, that Moses Perch would have looked piss-weak.

BTW we've been a bit quiet on the site for a while now (too much work has made getting up at even my gentlemanly hours too much) but after last weekend with a few good lads from AFO - I'm sitting at work planning next weekends adventure. Thanks AFO and all its members.

Archived