Canopy Ideas Update With Pics Curtins On

Luvit

I have my boat booked in to Greens Marine (Yatla) to have a new stainless steel Targa canopy installed. I have been impressed with the quality of the workmanship on Cruise Craft canopies. Apparently Greens does these and a big reason I'm going through them plus a recommendation. They must be good a 3 month wait!

The photo below is similar to what I am looking at and the final design won't be done until I work it with them when I drop the boat off.

59101a817c773_canopycraft.thumb.JPG.2b045b1b501d13884c3e9860b36f011b.JPG

You only get one chance at this so any suggestions on what to included would be appreciated.

So far my want list is

Sturdy had rails incorporated in design so can walk around the front easier.

5-6 rod holders across the top.

Fold-able, so you can travel with it down

Think I'll get an extension that will pull out the back area to provide shade when having some lunch etc with the family. (99% of the time it will be stay under the canopy but when required a couple of thumb screws loosen so it slides it in or out.

The canopy to go over the windshield like in the photo. (This should prevent most rain dripping into the cockpit area)

A mounting lug on either side to mount lights for night fishing and possibly an extra one in the middle for future use.

It already has an anchor light that should be visible above the canopy.

It already has outriggers and the aerial is also mounted to cabin, so no need for mounting plates

So if you think there is anything I've missed, let me know so I can consider them.

Currently the boat has a fold up canopy with side curtains and storm covers that I haven't even got out. The fold-able canopy rock to much in a sea for my liking and has wear on the roof that shorty will require replacing. Otherwise the rest is in reasonable condition.

Here it is with its current canopy.  

IMG_3344.JPG.8a9554ab595c6c441b0d9d1fbf2c0952.JPG

If any one is interested in it, I can provide dimensions and we can go from there.

Cheers

Wayne

Recently went through this my self when converting to a hard top, be a aware about how adding any extra weight up high can change the balance of the boat. Also take into account your reach and what will be comfortable when retrieving rods from the rod holders. No one like standing on the gunnel to get the rods down. And lastly if you plan on running any wiring within the tube itself ensure the builder leaves draw wires inside during the build to save you a massive headache. That is about all I can think of from my personal expierince 

Thanks Sef

The weight issue is one of the reasons I'm going the for the soft top over the hard top. 

I'm going to lower the height by about 12" compared to the one on it at the moment. Lower centre of gravity and easier to reach rods. Luckily I have a step on either side for the walk around so no need to go stepping on the gunnels. 

The draw wires or strings is a good idea. Have to mention that to them. 

Thanks for comments 

have you considered putting a Airel mount and maybe an option for out riggers in the future, take into account the length of it you would want it functional and be able to get out of the sun. I have seen what i would call a "retractable extension" on some boats up here in the Territory easy to put away (retracted)  when there is lures flying everywhere and extended when the cancer causing fireball in the sky is hot and you're turning red, very popular with the fair skinned redheads up here. have you taken into account the options of clears. 

This might sound a bit weird but if you get it built out of 25mm or any other standard size tubing you can use standard canopy fittings for mounts etc these can be usefull

Yes for sure @Joe Devereux, it is amazing the difference a bit of shade makes. After having an open boat previously I am appreciating the extra protection. Luckily enough the boat already has outriggers on the cabin. Bit hard to see in the bottom photo but they fold out once a pin is removed. The aerial is mounted on the drivers side of the cabin and I don't want to take it off and leave any holes.

54 minutes ago, Joe Devereux said:

have you considered putting a Airel mount and maybe an option for out riggers in the future, take into account the length of it you would want it functional and be able to get out of the sun. I have seen what i would call a "retractable extension" on some boats up here in the Territory easy to put away (retracted)  when there is lures flying everywhere and extended when the cancer causing fireball in the sky is hot and you're turning red, very popular with the fair skinned redheads up here. have you taken into account the options of clears. 

This might sound a bit weird but if you get it built out of 25mm or any other standard size tubing you can use standard canopy fittings for mounts etc these can be usefull

I will have to see what size they use and consider that.

Thanks

Dropped the boat off for the canopy and accessories on Saturday.

The one thing I changed was it is not fordable based on the builder recommendation.

the final list was

• 6 rod holders in the rocket launcher.
  • slide shade extension.
  • mounting lugs and plates for deck lights, cockpit light, anchor light, aerial.
  • Draw wires for future wiring.
  • Bait board to be solid and removal.
  • boarding ladder at the front of boat.

The next 2 weeks will go so slow while I wait.

Thanks for everyone's input.

15 minutes ago, Luvit said:

Dropped the boat off for the canopy and accessories on Saturday.

The one thing I changed was it is not fordable based on the builder recommendation.

the final list was

• 6 rod holders in the rocket launcher.
  • slide shade extension.
  • mounting lugs and plates for deck lights, cockpit light, anchor light, aerial.
  • Draw wires for future wiring.
  • Bait board to be solid and removal.
  • boarding ladder at the front of boat.

The next 2 weeks will go so slow while I wait.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Dave Green done my mates seafarer and i don't think you will find a better tradesman, the only thing i would add is a second mount for a fm aerial. Cant remember their name but the trimmer they use also does a great job

That's comforting to hear because I'm quite fussy. 

The way it has been designed there will a mounting plate either side that I can install an aerial on each. One for the VHF aerial and the other can be the FM aerial. 

We spent 1.5 hrs just discussing what I wanted and how to achieve it. 

Now the wait.

Yes new clears. After speaking with the owner he said he never takes his off and they have lasted 8 years. He does a dozen trips to 1770 and another half a dozen to HB each year and leaves all clears on. Good enough for me. 

The boat is shaping up to be something I will really cherish. 

Update:

The canopy frame is done and looking good. Now it goes into the shop for clears etc.

Once that's done it will be back to the shop to have my bait board altered and hopefully a new boarding ladder fitted to the bow.

5923c51dc8d84_2017-05-2313_52_18.thumb.jpg.74dbfac795fd644b398b6a285e798ab9.jpg

5923c57218629_2017-05-2313_52_41.thumb.jpg.a33dea9e60f475d19a71ce2f505b4de7.jpg

58 minutes ago, Luke Landrunner said:

Coming up a treat !

It's finished now barbecue the access ladder was not workable. I will keep thinking of how to get a round this.

I will pick it up tomorrow. Have already purchased tickets for the boat show and the kids are looking forward to it, so won't fishing Sunday.

Could possibly take a day off next Monday or Tuesday if your about?

1 hour ago, Luvit said:

Dam good idea Lance.:1311_thumbsup_tone2:

It was the existing board that came with the boat the Greens marine modified for me. 

I can ask him tomorrow and possibly leave it with him.

Lost lots of knives of mine. All lanky can say is told you so.... 

• 7 months later...
1 hour ago, Luvit said:

Making room in the shed, if any AFO members want it they are welcome to it. If no one wants it I'll get rid of it soon.

You are a good man mate. I think I am going to to without sun shade for a little while yet until I work out where I should put one. 

Archived