Luvit

It was low tide this morning and while launching at Spinnaker Sound near Bribie Island I noticed a few Flathead lies right next to the boat ramp. There were heaps this is just a few.

IMG_3982.thumb.JPG.5a34330d0ee9e82ceb3442382487be39.JPG

PS Just testing the transducer position again. Will do more work over the weekend to see if i can improve it.

I saw a few over legal ones at Wynnum a month or so ago and must start going there for a night time high tide for a quick flick to see if I can catch them.  Yours are interesting - does anyone know if shovelnose rays leave lies similar to flathead? Yours look quite triangular in the head Wayne. A few months ago we saw 20-30 baby shovelnose right below the footpath at Wellington Point in about 2ft of water.

How did testing go? Maybe time to test wet box idea as well?

There was a thread on Ausfish saying you can skip wet box if not chirp and silicon directly to inside of hull as long as you ensure no air bubbles are present. No over heating issues for a 600watt apparently. 

If you can avoid mounting on top of the chirp, I think they might not interfere if on different frequencies. My 1kw and 600watt are only 30cms apart, if that, with no interference that I can notice and they both run on 200 freq.

Yes as soon as I got home I investigated if I could do a shoot through. Unfortunately the hull is so deep cannot reach the bottom of the hull. The only way in is through a small 6" access hatches in the boat well. Even if I made them bigger still hard to get to. 

So I am back to the transome mount at the moment. 

55 minutes ago, Luvit said:

Yes as soon as I got home I investigated if I could do a shoot through. Unfortunately the hull is so deep cannot reach the bottom of the hull. The only way in is through a small 6" access hatches in the boat well. Even if I made them bigger still hard to get to. 

So I am back to the transome mount at the moment. 

That's annoying. I wouldn't try either as the job has to be perfect for a good reading.

Are you trying closer to the motor?

Can't go too close to the motor because there is the deck wash pick up just to side of the motor. The instructions say stay minimum 3" from the edge of the proper. Also have to miss the rollers on the trailer and to top it off the antifoul doesn't give as clean water as a polishing fibreglass boat. That's another story. 

I have followed the instructions to a tee and also picked up a brand new transducer for $40 bucks bargain. 

Installed it all today on an adjustable  bracket. 

Another test coming up. 

On 9/23/2017 at 5:35 PM, Luvit said:

Also have to miss the rollers on the trailer and to top it off the antifoul doesn't give as clean water as a polishing fibreglass boat. That's another story. 

I suppose it would be  a big job buffing that all off.  I'm sorry you have had so much trouble getting this right. Good on you for persisting. 

Another test this morning but still not getting the reading as good as I would expect.

I may have to resign to the fact that with the outside factors I may not get it any better. However at least now I can adjust heaps easier and still play around for the next few trips to see if i can improve it.

I have a few more ideas that i will trial over the coming months.

Next time I hit 1770 I want it the best it can be.Think it will be Bloomfield reef next. 

7 hours ago, Luvit said:

Another test this morning but still not getting the reading as good as I would expect.

I may have to resign to the fact that with the outside factors I may not get it any better. However at least now I can adjust heaps easier and still play around for the next few trips to see if i can improve it.

I have a few more ideas that i will trial over the coming months.

Next time I hit 1770 I want it the best it can be.Think it will be Bloomfield reef next. 

Just a different idea. If you use the P66 at speed and not the chirp, is a change of positions on the cards?

2 hours ago, demarc said:

Just a different idea. If you use the P66 at speed and not the chirp, is a change of positions on the cards?

The P66 is what I trying to use at speed. The Totalscan is not a true chirp transducer, I use it for side scan mainly. 

I can not swap positions of them unfortunately. 

It is to do with the boats layout and any transducer I put on it is going to have same problems. I just like perfect! 

I've got two boats with p66(changed one to a tm260 now) and have nailed the installs perfectly each time and they read at speed well. Judst had alook at mine and i can't be sure but they don't look to be as low as yours.  Does the corner of that adjustable bracket c come below hull level? 

It always hard with photos because of the angles they're taken. The same photo at a different angle can look totally different.

I too though the metal plate could be causing turbulence if it was lower than the hull, so I have cut it to avoid this.

IMG_4008.JPG.dd7e03fcf7e1203c020186ed4f03f574.JPG 

Because i was getting a good reading until the trim tabs were engaged i have added a baffle to see if this helps.

IMG_4004.JPG.8685659df4d7a28665da90e436997782.JPG

I have it position 5mm below the hull on the motor side of the dead rise with a slight kick down. 

IMG_4006.JPG.fdd491756396eb478c26295aad499524.JPG

Bearing in mind the sliding bracket slightly flexes upward when water pressure is applied the trany at speed.

The square is flush against the hull.

IMG_4010.JPG.d0407640d9255299e1e3643a12f992b6.JPG

As you can see what i mean about the photos showing differently with a slight angle change.

IMG_4012.JPG.d20867924417d6d726932a266ab730b2.JPG

The other thing is that on the sliding bracket it sits a further 15mm off the transom. This should not be problem when people add mounting blocks. 

Now to test it again.

15 minutes ago, MarkA said:

You mention 5mm below the hull on the motor side?

Is that to the tail of the transducer or the leading edge?

Transducer pics are always tough hey!

The tail of the transducer 

yes unless you are there seeing it with your own eyes the photos are not a true indication. 

1 minute ago, baydog said:

Looks good. The only thing i can think of is in pic 4 you can see a gap between the hull and the. Bracket.    May be creating bubbles.  

Yes it could be a cause, however I think at speed this gap should be higher than the water exiting from the hull. It's been as bit hard to test while being out by myself. Not good to leave the boat at WOT and head down the back with no one steering. I'll keep posted till i work it out.

Before these modifications I had it deep, unfortunately at speed it was bubbles galore. I then lifted it to just skim the surface. 

There is no mark on the side like the skimmer transducers. The instructions say have the trailing edge 1/8" below the hull. 

I will try deep again and keep moving it up like your suggestion now it has been modified. 

I've looked at disassembling some parts on the boat to try and stick the old P66 on the inside of the hull like Julian suggested. It will be tough but nothing to lose. 

Maybe I should have bought a transducer and then built a boat around it :whistle:

thanks for for the suggestions 

7 hours ago, Luvit said:

Maybe I should have bought a transducer and then built a boat around it :whistle:

It can be a pain setting them up! I spent months playing with my last transducer before getting it right......or as right as its gonna be.

I sprung for a thru hull on the current boat and I must say its been awesome so far.

Archived