Newbie Hunting Flatty

Casperstone

Hi all I'm new here, abit of back ground firstly. From Bundaberg originally that's where my granddad taught me to fish aswell. Hard to remember the spots because I was younger haha but mainly elliot heads and burrum i think. From there moved to Hervey Bay did a little bit a pier fishing and used to go the artificial reef, that was insane back then :). Moving on now I'm northside brisbane, on work holidays at the moment and im diving back into fishing (a long time off due to me being a silly bugger with the beers). My first trip out i went to dohles rocks as its 5 mins from my home and caught a 38cm bream on my second cast! I havent smiled or been so happy in years! Just me, the water and serenity. So I've found my love for it again! I've got about a week left of my holidays and I'd absolutly love to reel in a nice flatty before i have to go back to work so any tips would be greatly appreciated :) So far I've only gone to dolhes rocks and the back of murrumba downs on the pine river, using prawns and mullet as bait. I havent tried my hand at lures or plastics as im unsure how to use them correctly. I dont want to admit this but every time i throw a lure out i generally lose it via snag hahaha, any help at all would be appreciated :)

Peace.

9 hours ago, Casperstone said:

I havent smiled or been so happy in years! Just me, the water and serenity.

That's awesome well done. Welcome to AFO. If you put in the time you will get your flathead.

Try around the edges any shallow bank on the last 2 hours of the run out tide. They will sit in less than a foot of water so don't be afraid to fish the shallow stuff. if you want to use baits frog mouth pilchards work really well. They are quite small so you attract more flathead. If you want bigger fish you could try a full pilchard but the smaller ones wont take this as much. If you can get your hands on live baits they are deadly. Small live gar are smoking hot baits. 

Soft plastics are deadly as well. I like to let them sink and sit on the bottom for a few seconds then gentle lift so it goes up in the water then let it settle again. for flatheads you can use small to large depending on weather you want lots of little ones or one or two larger ones. try and use the lightest jig head you can. Plastics can get you fishing for about $20. 

Hard boddied lures work well too. 

Good luck. the more time you put in the more you will catch. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Casper 

Everything the guys have told you works, another option that I always use with success as follows.

If you are already living close to Dohles Rocks, drive around to the bridge side, western end , and fish the main gutter, you can walk out to it 2 hours before low tide, pick yourself up some white bait and a gang of No4 long shanks and make up a running sinker rig, lay the white bait on the ganged hooks so the top hook on the gang comes out through the whitebaits eye. Cast and retrieve slowly as you walk the bank next to the gutter and you should have no problems picking up flathead, just like using lures.

MSB

Archived