Winch Ideas please

WayneD

Hey guys I have a sloping front yard that makes it hard to get my yak and box trailers into my back yard. I used to be able to drive in and turn around but now with the kids trampoline and swing set it's impossible to do. Backing up is not an option as my little hyundai just spins the wheels on the grass.

I have just laid deco on the opposite side to where I usually put them and I cemented in a 65x65 bit of gal post. My initial thoughts were to get another post that fits inside it and put a boat winch on it. The only problem I see here is that I would need 10mtrs of wire and it would have to be a two way winch for it to work.

I was trying to work out another way to get them up there using a pulley system but it has me stumped so any help would be very much appreciated.

WayneD wrote:

Hey guys I have a sloping front yard that makes it hard to get my yak and box trailers into my back yard. I used to be able to drive in and turn around but now with the kids trampoline and swing set it's impossible to do. Backing up is not an option as my little hyundai just spins the wheels on the grass.

I have just laid deco on the opposite side to where I usually put them and I cemented in a 65x65 bit of gal post. My initial thoughts were to get another post that fits inside it and put a boat winch on it. The only problem I see here is that I would need 10mtrs of wire and it would have to be a two way winch for it to work.

I was trying to work out another way to get them up there using a pulley system but it has me stumped so any help would be very much appreciated.

try that spectra, similar to rope, get heaps on a winch

Not knowing the space constrants you have to work with you maybe able try this put a pulley at the winch post and a good quatily rope from the trailer up and through the pulley then onto the tow hitch, as you drive down the drive it will pull the trailer up the drive. You would need to proberly have two pulleys to keep the trailer away from the car or position the car so that when you drive away from the trailer it gets pulled up the drive

AZZA wrote:

Not knowing the space constrants you have to work with you maybe able try this put a pulley at the winch post and a good quatily rope from the trailer up and through the pulley then onto the tow hitch, as you drive down the drive it will pull the trailer up the drive. You would need to proberly have two pulleys to keep the trailer away from the car or position the car so that when you drive away from the trailer it gets pulled up the drive

Just don't forget to unhitch :woohoo: :laugh:

I winch my sailboat up backwards into the backyard after reversing it so far. I just cemented in a 90 x 90 post, bolted an old weathered winch (Thanks Gaz) to the top and run out the spectre rope. On the end of that I have some silver rope tied and just tie it around the rear bar of the trailer and winch away.

To put the boat back on the car, reverse the car into roughly the position, run the cable out (mine comes to the back of the trailer), then with the silver rope take a turn around the rear bar and throw the rope to the front of the trailer. By keeping tension on the rope and easing it out you can guide the trailer down to the towball and lift it on, throw the rope back under the trailer and as you drive away it undoes the turn around the rear bar and lays it out straight ready for when you come back.

Easy as....

Ended up going to Bias to see what they had to offer. They had one winch there that was two way and wasn't too badly priced and then got 10m of 4mm spectra to load onto it. Cost me $80 but I am happy with it. Now to get the post made up at work tomorrow and then test her out.

Archived