Hi Folks :)

olek

Hi all. Just moved to Australia, from Vancouver BC (Canada). Just getting settled in.

Love to fish and hunt and do all type of outdoor stuff such as camping and 4x4-ing...

Glad to have found this site, i am a total newbie when it comes to Australias fish and fishing methods but i think i will do ok.

Last few years I fished mostly for salmon, usually spring (chinook), coho & pink. Also did some fishing for sturgeon which in Canada are catch and release only since they are threatened, well regardless i do have experience in all sorts of fish sizes so i would love to go shark fishing.. ha ha.. getting all my gear here shipped for xmas so until then i will watch from the sidelines and hope to read up and learn things on this forum.

Thanks for reading this

Alex

p.s. I live in new farm, close to the river, is there any chance of catching a fish there?

Hey mate. Welcome to the site and to Australia!

You sure can catch good fish around there. brisbanebound another recent addition to both our country and this site has been catching jewfish, bream, snapper and cod from right near you. Other potential species include the famous threadfin salmon.

Have a good look through the reports in the "All Brisbane Rivers & Creeks" section and I think youll be surprised whats there.

Oh there is also the potential for plenty of sharks along that stretch of the river.

Cheers.

Angus

Wow.. well that would be real nice. The funny thing is, and i am hoping this is correct, that i could not find any info in regards to fishing licenses on a government site...

so i asked people and they all told me, 'no license required'... which is just WOW...

I was paying about 35 for freshwater, 30 for salt and about 100 for all the 'cool' tags for the tasty fish, ie. salmon and steelhead... then there was options for class 1 and class 2 waters... which made it even more pricy.. oh well, dont get me started on hunting costs (most of which was the fuel price of getting into the woods...LOL)

Sweet.. that is so nice, in every sense of the word..

Step outside my house walk 5 minutes and fish.. ha ha. excellent.

Now what's a good bait to get some crazy brisbane river fish??? I used chicken necks and stuff when fishing for rock cod and flounder & halibut in BC in the Pacific... I reckon there must be some 'meat-eaters' in the brisbase river, right?

Kriso, thanks for the tip.

This will sound silly but can you catch shark in the river... please dont laugh.. just curious..

Also since this is a pretty active thread i'll just ask here...

this is what i have coming from canada (my gear)

2m medium action rod with abu garcia spinning real

usually used for just lake fishing for trout, nothing too crazy, maybe 12 puond line test tops.

2.5m heavy action daiwa black widow rod with daiwa spinning real and 50 pound test line. this was my all around heavy fish rod, salmon, halibut, sturgeon.

4m heavy action shakespeare eliminator with shakespeare reel. line test usually about 120 pounds of the fireline (fibre). this was my exclusive sturgeon rod, since the grow to 5 meters and a few tons that's not a small rod.

My question is will number 2 & 3 be good enough to catch and actually pull in some shark?

I'm sure once i catch a few of those critters the whole shark thing will go away.. just being a foreigner with my sights set on that fish.. kinda like the tourist who come to BC and want to see a moose or black bear, ha ha :P

yeah mate you can catch bull sharks all along the river, live bait is best for these though, there will be plenty of people chasing these this summer so keep an eye out in the going fishing threads and you can meet up with someone and they can show you the ropes. as for rods any of the first 2 would be fine for the river sharks.

welcome to Bris and the site mate.

Funny thing is my brother is in Vancouver now, trying to get into the fishing there. Would be sweet to catch some of those fish there :)

Mate I reckon your rods will go well. You may find yourself buying 1 more piece of kit for lighter fishing. We're talking 1-3kg or 2-4kg rod, and a 1000 or 2500 size reel. Makes the bream, flathead, cod fishing in the river a bit more challenging.

Hoopefully Terry will chime in here... he's a bit of a gun at catching sharks, but I'd imagine if your gear can reel in a 5 meter sturgeon, you should be ok with the sharks. Just beware of the teeth :)

Do$tylz,

If he wants to get into fishing around the Vancouver area, tell him to go and try the Vedder river, in Chilliwack, BC... about 100km east of Vancouver, easy drive and thats where people go to get their salmon.

If he wants to fish closer to town, tell him to try on the north side of the 2nd narrows bridge, near the Capilano river (salt water since it's the georgia straight).

For lakes you got to go to Mission BC... Stave Lake and Rolley lake are decent for some trout. But i used to drive to Loon Lake, near Cache Creek, BC.. about 4.5 hour drive and stay a few days, best rainbow trout fishing in BC, cheap cabins and good amenities close by, also in a few weeks you will be able to do some icefishing on that lake.

Cheers.B)

Welcome to the site firstly:)

As for Sharks, there are literally 1000's, although for the most part, they're relatively small, only about up to 1m or so. Though there are some better ones in there. 1.5m is a good size and 50lb will easily cope with that. 50lb will probably cope up to about 1.8m depending on line capacity. Although 1.8m will be a pretty good catch in the river. Smaller ones are much more common

most people use about a meter and a half of wire so you dont get rubbed off on thier abrasive tail as they run

and make shure you get plastic coated wire or they wont go near it

they can feel the small amount of electricity given off by the salt water reacting with the wire

If your looking for a place that sells bait the caltex petrol station along kingsford smith drive will have your usual frozen bait like mullet fillets (good for sharks:) and pike eels:X), pilchards good alrounder most fish in the river will eat these including snapper and threadfin salmon, squid stays on the hook for longer than usual sometimes gets snapper and prawns probably the best frozen bait as most if not all fish eat prawns and your pretty much guaranteed a bream or two trying around newstead or newfarm:P .

Hope this helps;)

ellicat wrote:

If you don't have that length of wire, a heavy mono/fluro leader is normally fine on the smaller river sharks. Make it about 1 -1.5 metres long (about the length of your target). Works for me.

Yep, that's what I do. Been rubbed off before from the tail:angry: Not a happy experience

But you still do need a short-ish bit of wire to prevent proper bite-off's:)

Thanks for all the info folks. :cheer: :cheer:

I will be getting my fishing gear in the 1st week of december so soon enough.

Anyhow, what fish can (or rather would) you eat from the brisbane river???? guess that's pretty important question. ha ha... thanx again.

olek wrote:

Thanks for all the info folks. :cheer: :cheer:

I will be getting my fishing gear in the 1st week of december so soon enough.

Anyhow, what fish can (or rather would) you eat from the brisbane river???? guess that's pretty important question. ha ha... thanx again.

Id eat your squire, threadfin, jew, bream (if i could be bothered cleaning them), sharks. With your bigger species like threadfin and jew I would only eat ones that are smaller in size as the bigger ones would surely have a higher heavy metal content.

I would avoid eating fish like Estuary cod and flatties that might sit in holes or on trhe bottom more often. This logic might be slightly bogus but it works for me :)

Angus

Cool. Thanks for the info. Back home the catfish, were really good white meat, but nothing over 30cm.

Umm, Sharks? didn't know you can eat them ha ha. cool.

Gonna be fun.

Thanks again for all the tips and info. If any of you need tips for fishing or hunting in British Columbia, ask away. For all the tips i feel like giving some info away. ha ha.

:fishing:

Archived