Seasickness Prevention ???

Gad

Hi All,

To others who may be on prescription medications...

Myself and 2 sons were booked on a charter out off Labrador,Wednesday 5/11,6.00-11.00am.

The weather guestimate on Tues,for Wednesday was blowy,choppy,showers/rain periods.

Sometimes the tummy gets queasy just wiggling toes in the bath tub,so a precautionary step was taken, spoke to a few who suffer seasickness,and headed off to chemist(not my regular chemist)and came out with Kwells(no complaint with Kwells).

Next morning take 1 tablet,1hr, before departure,then 1 as I step onto boat,boat leaves 6.00am. 8.30 the boats up and down like a dads pants, in their hey days. Stomach`s feeling great,9.15ish f/rod in hand starting to feel drowsy,and head starts dropping,reeled in secured rod, and sat down.

Well that was me for the rest of trip,kept waking and falling asleep,finally awoke properly 10mins from departure point.

If I had gone to my regular chemist,they may have alerted me to this.When I bought the Kwells from the other chemist I didn`t think to mention that I was on medications.

cheers

Thanks for tips fellas,

my main concern is for others who are on medication,for them to check with their chemist, as my usual chemist told me Wednesday arvo, he would have advised me against using certain motion sickness tablets, as they would react with my medication

cheers

Leighton, I took crysalised ginger with me,nodded off before I needed any.haha

Gad last time i want on a charter i used kwell as well two a half hour before the boat... my mouths was as dry as a wooden tit before we left the seaway but they virtually made the gut bullet proof all day... I was knackered by the time i got home though

Funnily enough 3 other guys on charter saw it fit not to bother with the tabs "macho men" ....... they provided the burly :X

Shouldn't laugh but :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: offered some kwell tabs but retrospectively they were useless unless you chew them up cause they couldnt keep them down... :X

its a bit odd the pharmacist didn't give you a heads up though :huh:

ylime tried the ginger tabs before the out there charter but the ginger didnt agree with her as she doesnt like ginger to start with she then proceded to chuck till the boat docked again that was the first ever seasickness for her hopefully the last no more pills for her :woohoo:

I use to work for P&O and crystalised ginger or sipping on ginger ale was a big one, Dr's would give Phenergon if early enough or a shot in the bum of Maxalon when things got real bad. And those little overpriced wristbands were pretty popular too. The best advice for seasickness was from my grandad (he use to skipper the Qld Uni research boat) it was to eat a strawberry jam sandwich because it always tasted just as good coming up as it did going down! then my bloody dad use to throw that line at us every Friday night as a teenager :laugh:

POLARAMINE and Phenergon will prolly do the trick but they also make u drousy, being the type of antihistamine they are. Kwells work the best for me, was once on a big day boat on the way to lady musgrave island for some skubadiving, and boat prolly had about 70 people on it, big swell and heaps of japanese tourists wearing of all things high heels?.... they were throwing up everywhere, usually the smell of spew is enough to make me chunder but the kwells made my stomach like iron and i found it quite funny watching them try and throwup in the toilts and as the boat was moving a lot they would miss and get the walls etc.. the staff were trying them to all use paper bags but the language barrier was a bit far apart..

on another note what type of medications are u on if u dont mind me asking, my Misses is a Pharmisist if ur keen to get some adivce..

B)

Smiderman wrote:

Gad last time i want on a charter i used kwell as well two a half hour before the boat... my mouths was as dry as a wooden tit before we left the seaway but they virtually made the gut bullet proof all day... I was knackered by the time i got home t

its a bit odd the pharmacist didn't give you a heads up though :huh:

Hi Smiderman,

My own fault,I`ve been on medication for approx 12yrs,2 of them are"beware may cause drowsiness"and haven`t affected me for 11.5yrs,this is what I didn`t mention to the first chemist,so when I took the Kwells,they reacted,and Kwells does have a warning that they may cause drowsiness.

Never to old to learn.

cheers

If you had a bad response to Kwells, and assuming the response was due to the actions of the active ingredient, then unfortunately most of the over the counter products available for seasickness wouldn't be any different as they have the same general action for seasickness- including the sedating antihistamines.

Ginger is probably your best bet, but I've personally found that a light meal 4-5 hours before will help aswell. Sometimes taking those seasickness tablets on an empty stomach makes me nauseated.

Schmuck wrote:

If you had a bad response to Kwells, and assuming the response was due to the actions of the active ingredient, then unfortunately most of the over the counter products available for seasickness wouldn't be any different as they have the same general action for seasickness- including the sedating antihistamines.

Ginger is probably your best bet, but I've personally found that a light meal 4-5 hours before will help aswell. Sometimes taking those seasickness tablets on an empty stomach makes me nauseated.

I think I would have to agree on all the above

cheers

Archived