monduran 08 tempter

faulked

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

About the trolling, once you get to my age the 8-10 hours a day casting gets a little hard on the old body. Every day I spent time casting, in fact 1 day I went as far up as H and further, casting at all spots that look like it would hold fish. I even took the yak and tried from that but all I caught was catfish.

With the fish being down on the wall I even tried casting in the bay and around the pillons, but soon the old arm, elbow, back and shoulder gave up and I reverted back to trolling, which by the way was our best chance to catch fish.

I see fishing as being a hunting sport, and during the hunt I always adopt the method best suited to achieving the desired result. During this trip trolling was the best method.

After the hunt it comes down to the hook up and battle. I enjoy the connection from rod to fish far mor ethen I do the connection of rod to weed beds and empty lures.

I note that the biggest barra comp in Australia considers trolling as a legitmate method of catching barra.

What a great trip!!!. I think this may be the best report I've seen of a AFO trip (fish-wise).

Congrats to everyone:woohoo: B) (except platicman:P just stirring mate;) )

Mod note. Let's not spoil a good thread with the side issue that's raised it's head in the last dozen posts. If you want to discuss that issue please start another thread;) . BR65's first post is good for educational reasons, but let's leave it at that.

agreed great job by all , plus i know pretty much every one on that was on this trip and can personally vouch that they observe bag limits and always treat the fish that are going to be released with as much care as they can. i think the amount of fish that where floating after the ABT comp is pretty bad though.

You lads had a great trip, with lashings of fish, and hey, thats why we put in the hard yards to go there, for trips like that. Im not interested in an argument about casting vs trolling, or c&r vs kill and grill,that is an individuals choice. Provided the individual complies with the current bag and size limits, and has their SIP, they can do as they damn well please, it is a stocked impoundment based on a put and take fishery. However, I do think it is important that impressionable first time impoundment bara anglers (and judging by some of the replies during the post, there were a few) are aware of best practice if they wish to release a fish that will survive, and in the current closed season, they must release all fish they catch after the first one is kept.

Anyways, enuf said by me, congrats boys on the trip, and to any one else, if you want to release them, treat them with care.

Brian as you go inside the door of the MASA shed with the display tanks there is a sign on the left hand wall requesting that large fish be either kept or donated to their holding tank where the fish will be purged and then filleted and then donated to local charities etc.

Next time you are there drop in and have a look around they have some very good displays in their tanks with live examples of most freshwater fish and also noxious fish also there so that people can identify them.

The also put out some very good brochures on how to catch barra in the dam.

I have also seen a photo of the sign published on another site but am unable to locate it quickly but here is a copy of part of a longish thread on Ausfish that explains the attitude of the stocking association.

I will attempt to contact the MSA for some more details and publish them if available.

06-12-2007, 03:16 PM post #7

M62

Ausfish Silver Member

Re: Monduran Barra - Etiquette

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I fish Awoonga & Monduran a little and to date I've let go every barra I've caught, big & small. My mate kept a 70cm to eat and said it was average at best though we now know if they are bled out & iced down immediately then the filets soaked in salt water they're ok, not great but ok.

If it's the local stocking groups wish that very large barra are removed then that deserves some consideration as they are the ones with a stocking plan for that fishery, and the ones doing all the hard work.

I know in the Monduran stocking groups case they want a dam where the average family fisherman can turn up with average gear and have a chance of landing a couple of barra and their resurch shows this could be difficult with a dam full of 140cm barraand the amount of timber they have up there.

I've attached a story out of Bushn'Beach the might go a little way in explaining the stocking groups plans.

Cheers

Mike

Back in the July issue of BushnBeach I reported on the great time I had bass fishing at Lake Monduran just north of Gin Gin. I also briefly mentioned the innovative project that's being developed by the Monduran Anglers and Stocking Association (MASA). Well I returned a few weeks later for another crack at the bass and managed to drag myself away from the water just long enough to chat with MASA members Ian Jensen and Chris Lupton.

These guys along with the other members are truly passionate about fish stocking and the benefits it can bring to their local community. They took the time to explain some of the concepts behind the project and show me around the club's impressive new building located just behind the camping ground kiosk.

The first stage of this ambitious project involves several displays of live Australian native and introduced noxious fish. It's almost complete and should be open for free public viewing seven days a week from early November. Each tank has been set up with multiple viewing windows positioned at various heights to accommodate adults, children, even persons in wheelchairs. Two large 16,000ltr fibreglass tanks will contain a selection of large barramundi, bass, silver perch, Barcoo grunter, sleepy and Mary River cod while a 8,000ltr tank will house a collection of smaller local natives such as rainbows, fly speckled hardyheads and gudgeons. A fourth tank will house a display of introduced noxious fish, this should assist the public with the identification of undesirables such as European carp and tilapia.

In addition to the live fish displays the interior walls of the building are already decked out with a range of informative posters. These detail the identification, biology and habitat requirements of the local fish species as well as information and handouts on how and where to target some of Monduran's famous metre plus barramundi, a must for visiting anglers.

One of MASA's main aims is to enhance the public's knowledge of the fishery and I have no doubts this facility will play a huge part in achieving this. Already regional schools have indicated considerable interest in using the viewing tanks as a learning tool.

Stage two of the project, (due for completion in 2008) is aimed at the long-term sustainability of the Lake Monduran fishery. MASA releases an average of 100,000 barra and 120,000 bass fingerlings into the lake each year so to reduce cannibalisation and allow a higher percentage of the fingerlings a chance to reach maturity, they encourage anglers to take home any large barramundi landed (observing size and bag limits). Alternativly anglers will have the opportunity to donate large barra back to MASA by placing them in a holding cage that will be permanently moored across from the ramp. Once installed the cage will be regularly cleared and the barra tranquillised before being transported to the purging tanks also located in the club's new building. The seven day purging process is designed to improve the fishes eating qualities prior to being processed and cooked by the Bundaberg Meals on Wheels for some of their 300 elderly and disabled clients.

MASA also has a DPI permit to release a limited number of large barra each year into freshwater parts of the lower Kolan River. These fish should then be able to migrate downstream and boost the local population of breeding barramundi.

This ambitious plan is now turning into reality thanks to a Federal Recreational Fishing Grant and assistance from Qld DPI & Fisheries, Nylex, Clipsal Australia, Pierlite, J & R McCracken, Kolan & District Electric, the Kolan Shire Council and the countless hours of hard work by members. When completed the project should enhance the wider community's relationship with the stocking group and the fishery, and that's got to be a good thing.

You can also help support MASA and enjoy a great weekend at the same time by entering the Win TV Monduran Family Fishing Classic. It's one of the most popular and best run freshwater comps in Qld and this year's event will be on the 13-14th of October. There are heaps of prizes up for grabs including some great gear from Bundaberg Tackle World and an $8000 Stacer boat, motor, trailer package put together by Adrian's Marine. For more information phone John Finlay on 4157 6222.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by M62 : 06-12-2007 at 03:20 PM.

rayke1938 wrote:

n MASA releases an average of 100,000 barra and 120,000 bass fingerlings into the lake each year so to reduce cannibalisation and allow a higher percentage of the fingerlings a chance to reach maturity, they encourage anglers to take home any large barramundi landed (observing size and bag limits).

I'm encouraged how about you?

Alternativly anglers will have the opportunity to donate large barra back to MASA by placing them in a holding cage that will be permanently moored across from the ramp. Once installed the cage will be regularly cleared and the barra tranquillised before being transported to the purging tanks also located in the club's new building. The seven day purging process is designed to improve the fishes eating qualities prior to being processed and cooked by the Bundaberg Meals on Wheels for some of their 300 elderly and disabled clients.

How good is that, the oldies love fish

MASA also has a DPI permit to release a limited number of large barra each year into freshwater parts of the lower Kolan River. These fish should then be able to migrate downstream and boost the local population of breeding barramundi.

Now this is a good plan

Gezz I had fun

Last edited by M62 : 06-12-2007 at 03:20 PM.

[img size=461]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/zxza.JPG

The lure that did most the damage including the 70lb'er. Have a look at the knot, during the video you can hear me call out to Ray for the net because I felt either the trebble or knot let go. Looks like it was the knot. How lucky was I to land the big bugger. [img size=461]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/lure.JPG

post-118-144598479699_thumb.jpg

BR65 wrote:

My last 2 posts seem to be deleted by the mods, and I reckon this one will be as well.

Apparently, only conformist posts will be accepted.

Leave this up Mods, let your members see what the site philosiphy is.

Moderator Note.

See the PM I sent you. Also refer to my earlier post. I can't be any clearer. I have only deleted 1 of your posts; unless you and Tropical Trout are the same creature - in which case that would be 2 posts.

The philosophy is to be friendly and helpful, not to start and continue arguments. That's the end of the story.

This is your first public warning as per the Site Rules

Mod note. Let's not spoil a good thread with the side issue that's raised it's head in the last dozen posts. If you want to discuss that issue please start another thread . BR65's first post is good for educational reasons, but let's leave it at that.

That is why I started the " Best Practice " thread.

Cheers

Ray

memory recall brian ... :laugh: :laugh: :P :P

dont blame ya mate ...

congrats to all you blokes for the trip of a lifetime and adhering to monduran fishing practices ...

bloody well done ... the pics were fantastic to receive while i was slugging it out at work ..kinda ..:laugh: :laugh:

Archived