Lake Lenthalls

Tom B

Sometime in january im hopeing to be lucky enough to hitch a ride with some mates up to the dam for a week or so.

Now my main target will be the bass so I will be taking my bass outfit which has 10lb braid on it but will this be enough for any barra that jump on my line.

But are there enough barra in the dam to specifically target them.

Also i need to know any lures or colours that specifically work on both barra and bass in the dam.

You can catch any sized fish on any size line, as long as you have enough of it, and enough room. Lenthalls has a lot of timber, I'd reckon if your chasing Barra, I'd go 30lb braid to pull then up.

I used my 8kg Bara rod on bass at Baroon on the weekend, it was like pulling stumps with a D9, not much fun, but very effective - just a straight skull drag. Take two outfits and enjoy.

Thanks feral,

I have some 20lb braid somewhere that i can put on my luna and i might invest in a 6-10kg barra rod now so that i have it for when i need it.

And if i ever get up to awoonga or monduran i can just put 40/50lb on my luna and im off.

Well i emailed Paul Dolan from fraser coast sportsfishing and he said that there are enough barra in the dam to target, he said they tend to hide in the same places the bass do but will mostly only react to the bigger lures and he aslo said 20lb braid with 40lb leader. Looks like im just about set

All i need to do is get the ride.

Post edited by: jindivik, at: 2007/01/01 11:59

• 1 month later...

Mate i guess youd say that most of the people on our trip were targeting Barra, however a lot of smaller lures were being used that would also snag Bass.

This in mind over 30 barra were caught and about 6 bass!

My point being that there are certainly enough Barra to target them specifically.

Also i would upgrade your line. As Andrew said there is a lot of timber. I hooked onto a Barra in the first 30mins of being there. It busted me before it had a chance to take drag! Just cleaned me right up. Not saying it cant be done, but youd be relying on a bit of luck to get them well away from the snags.

Angus

There was nothing wrong with the filletts i took home. Have a look at the photos andsee how deeply the barra were swallowing the smaller lures i lost more than 5 lures due to bite offs as i only had 20 lb leader. Fishing dan recommends using 6 inches of wire to prevent biteoffs.

Whatever you do get up there its addictive.

Ray

Archived