Poster's details

kreel

I notice in some other sites I visit that not only do they list the number of posts the individual has made but the date they signed on. This info is found on the user details beside their post (see right).

I like this system because it indicated to me the relative activity of the individual and when I combine that knowledge with the content of the post I can quickly assess if the person is giving a considered opinion or just posts to everything going.

You can quickly amass hundreds of posts with - "welcome to the site"; "nice fish" and "good on you mate" but when I see 500 posts and I have only noticed the person on the site recently I start to think - is this person a blowhard or am I just not familiar enough with the site and its members.

i post 3 types if posts .

some are short :"welcome to the site"; "nice fish" and "good on you mate"that sort of thing.

some are mid sized :about the size of kreel's post above

some are bloody long :about the size of length of a computer screen, a page long in A4 about.

it just depends if i'm congratulating someone on a catch .answering a question or talking about a topic ,usually bigger as i explain or ask stuff.

i joined on Thursday, 23 October 2008 9:12:46 PM .i was pretty quite till the kookaburra park social.and then i felt comfortable and now i post a lot .

that's about a 3 month period of reading saying hi and a comment here and there getting to know people and the site.

so it's taken me 5 months to get 433 posts i have seen some do that in a few weeks.

interesting hey ? makes me wonder and ask the same as u the 2 posts above.

i've been here a fair while now;)

i do the welcome thing if i'm first to find a first post

or if i feel the need to question or comment on thier intro post

i allways get a laugh out of excited newbies who have just become addicted to the site welcoming other newbies and telling them how great it is:woohoo::side::silly:

i do the nice fish thing when i'm really impressed with the catch, who needs 50"nice fish mate" posts hanging off a report.:S

i'm here to have fun, exchange info and make friends, allready made some good ones:P

not here to dribble shit or make shure i get a post on every thread just for the numbers

if someone posts good quality info, i'd like to be able to give them Kudos/Rep points. showing reputation as opposed to post counts would work very nicely. if i gain something i have no worries giving that .. in gaming forums there is a common saying "you are not your post count" it rings true with any topical forum .. in reality, stats are a bastard of a thing and will always be abused

oh i am one of those

newbies who have just become addicted to the site welcoming other newbies and telling them how great it is.

well sort of starting to calm down a bit now .lol

which means i don't ready every post these day's too and i think jeff is right don't need 50 welcome or nice fish .i'm starting to clam down on those too :)

i think most of us are here to have fun, exchange info and make friends

not here to dribble shit or make sure we get a post on every thread.

pointless for it to say senior angler in posts,if u are green as and can't fish.

kreel wrote:

I notice in some other sites I visit that not only do they list the number of posts the individual has made but the date they signed on. This info is found on the user details beside their post (see right).

I like this system because it indicated to me the relative activity of the individual and when I combine that knowledge with the content of the post I can quickly assess if the person is giving a considered opinion or just posts to everything going.

You can quickly amass hundreds of posts with - "welcome to the site"; "nice fish" and "good on you mate" but when I see 500 posts and I have only noticed the person on the site recently I start to think - is this person a blowhard or am I just not familiar enough with the site and its members.

It could also mean they spend more time on the computer than actually fishing...

What if somone with 30 years fishing experience just joins up or somone who is a little computer shy? Are their posts less relevant?

And shouldn't we all just put up with the constant stupid questions from newcomers?

I am guily of posting many stupid questions on forums, but thankfully members have been good enough to take the time to give a little advice, (even though they have probably done it a thousand times before)

I am not disagreeing with any posts here, its all true, but this is just what I think.

dave

davefishmad wrote:

kreel wrote:

It could also mean they spend more time on the computer than actually fishing...

What if somone with 30 years fishing experience just joins up or somone who is a little computer shy? Are their posts less relevant?

And shouldn't we all just put up with the constant stupid questions from newcomers?

I am guily of posting many stupid questions on forums, but thankfully members have been good enough to take the time to give a little advice, (even though they have probably done it a thousand times before)

I am not disagreeing with any posts here, its all true, but this is just what I think.

dave

yeah but there are stupid posts and then there are"stupid posts'

i quite like the search function on the forum. if i'm after info i've tried to get in the habit of searching first....some of the info might be a little out of date.....then i'll ask my stupid question ;)

is it possible to set something up when newbies sign up to let them know there's a search function so they can tap into the wealth of info on here more readily?? i've seen a number of threads where it's been advised that they search.....just something i thought might help....

I'm gobbed smacked Feral :woohoo:

You have really floored me with that one but it was with your resizer that made together with photo bucket an easy way to add multiple pics in one post a happening thing and created a clutter free forum :)

On that I have heard not experienced yet :blink: that photo bucket is limiting the amounts of pics on one account saying that I have not been asked to pay or had my account restricted but a point Shortie made don't delete photo bucket pics in post's as they make them non viewable and do stuff up the post :(

my advice create another account I've never had to but if you do it cost's nothing

And remember Feral's resizer is easy as the link on how to use ferals resizer and photo bucket can be had on my help page

/>http://www.geocities.com/gazzas_fishing/resizer.html

then go here

/>http://www.geocities.com/gazzas_fishing/bucket.html

hope that helps

Gaz

and Cheers Feral ;)

thousandyards wrote:

i quite like the search function on the forum. if i'm after info i've tried to get in the habit of searching first....some of the info might be a little out of date.....then i'll ask my stupid question ;)

is it possible to set something up when newbies sign up to let them know there's a search function so they can tap into the wealth of info on here more readily?? i've seen a number of threads where it's been advised that they search.....just something i thought might help....

Thats the key. The search function. If it was used correctly it would help limit repetitive posts. I dont really know how to make this clearer as its featured at the top of the forum? To be honest I dont think pointing it out better would help either. In my forum using experience people seem to either choose common sense and use tools such as this or not regardless of prompts.

In saying that, I dont mind a question coming up again (as long as its not like 5 times a week!!). Bare in mind some of the old regulars may have seen a various questions, but I would hazzard a guess that each time a question is asked a few new eyes are seeing it.

Anyway just my 2 cents.

Angus

I think sometimes it is good to get a few "welcoming" replies to newbies from some oldies. It would show some warmth from the site and encourage newbs to become part of the community and show that we're all pretty open. Most people know its pretty hard to break into a group and its always good to have some encouraging words from people who have been there for a while. Obviously no need for the entourage, but good for 1 or 2. I'll usually say "g'day" or "welcome" when there haven't already been a few oldies saying the same thing.

I've been here for maybe 3 years and haven't quite reached the higher levels of posts... and yes I do dribble every once in a while but its only when I'm very bored or think I have something funny to say. Otherwise its generally a report, advice, relevant comment etc.

The Karma thing was abused :angry:

But I feel if only good Karma can be given for helpful advice ,a good report,donations etc would encourage more useful posts on the forum rather than dribble to try and become a hero/ VIP etc

A new member would soon see by how much Karma a person has relating to that persons post's that were appreciated by other forum members

I can also see a need for the mods to monitor who is giving karma to who maybe a request to the mods I want to give joe blow Karma for xxxxxx so only legit Karma is given ;)

Just an Idea

Gaz

I don't give a rats arse if I can help I will karma or not :P

Yeah I like to welcome the newbies on board, so I will usually do post, (Unless there are already 20!)

But also dont fogret a lot of newbie questions are often just a way of breaking the ice for them, getting a discussion going they can be part of. Certainly dont mind revisiting old subjects every now and then.

Archived