Awoonga - 2007

Brian D

Yeah - I'll be using Hypervipers and Boomerang 80UDs for the troll.

You'll like the look of the boomerangs Feral! Just a warning: They have a big bib! Atleast I thought so.

Brian: I'll still be taking a bream/bass outfit. What's wrong with \"working\" the barra?:P

I've been thinking about getting a Calcutta...

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brian. They will hit my lures hard... Hopefully the rods will stay in the holder, and then (if you're watching) You'll see me and my yak spin sideways at an alarming pace as I try to get the bloody rod out of the holder.

PS: By mentioning that the light gear will get smashed so much, it's making me want to take it more and more:P

My experience at awoonga.

upgrade all trebles and splits rings. These fish tend to straighten hooks. We caught most of our fish at night. Thyere was a lot a weed around the edges, we marked the edge of the weed on a GPS trail so at night we didnt have any trouble casting into or trolling through weed.

Good Luck.

123cm, 25KG [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/barra1.jpg

Post edited by: shortie, at: 2007/08/27 20:29

post-1851-144598425995_thumb.jpg

Booty: do you have a spare speed gun we can borrow?

That way Lee and I can have races and see who gets towed faster :woohoo:

On the rings/trebles topic - as Brian mentioned earlier, has anyone tried the lures Schultzy mentioned? Or perhaps Schultzy could clarify, is it worth changing the trebles on those lures? They're suppose to be good hooks as standard (VMC)

Man, I can't wait for Awoonga!

Terry,

Brian Ray and I have all ordered some of those Hyper Vipers Schulzy recommended.

Also be warned if your using holders, make sure they are solid, or use tie ropes on your rods.

Ray was telling me about his first trip to Awoonga, one of his mates lost an expensive rod and reel when a big Barra hit while they were trolling, took the rod and holder straight over the side, broke it clean off.

Terry the Hypers were not available last year, only the sand vipers in a couple of depths, I am looking forward to trying the new one this year.

I caught my 2 on Halco Crazy Deeps cause they were the deepist lure I had. I tried the downrigger but found it very hard as the wind was about 30knots and no deckie so I couldn't keep the lines set.

I only trolled 3 times sersiously, and got 3 hook ups, lost one after I got it under control and switched my attention to the other lines in the water, next thing it took off again and never came back. It burnt the drag on my penn and found a deep snag. I won't do that again.

I spent most my time casting and didn't get a thing. It wont happen this trip. I am staying till I get one casting.:S

Feral: I use scotty rod holders in my kayak... however I'll probably follow your advice and connect my rods to the yak another way as well.

I've got some wire cable I cut and prepped for use on jetties (so that if the holder came undone - only zip tied on) the rod was at least still tied onto the jetty itself.

shortie wrote:

My experience at awoonga.

upgrade all trebles and splits rings. These fish tend to straighten hooks. We caught most of our fish at night. Thyere was a lot a weed around the edges, we marked the edge of the weed on a GPS trail so at night we didnt have any trouble casting into or trolling through weed.

Good Luck.

123cm, 25KG [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/barra1.jpg<br><br>Post edited by: shortie, at: 2007/08/27 20:29

We must have lost a post cause I had a comment but it's gone.

Nice fish Shortie, how did you catch it, casting or trolling?

Your guess is as good as mine, I picked one colour Schulzy recommended, and when the green and gold because I have caught Barra on that colour before. Last year the word was the \"qantas\" style red and white (also called drop bear in plastics I think) were the killer lures, did not catch a thing on them!

I've got a lot of plastics I bought for last year as well, tsunamis etc in 6 inch I'll be trying again as well. Hooked a good size barra at Callide on a 6inch plastic only to lose it to a snag after a couple of jumps!

Also terry, my \"Light gear\" I am taking is a pair of 3-6 kilo rods, one with a 3000 baitrunner spinning reel with 30lb braid, the other an overhead with only 20lb braid! (The DAM baitcaster I got off Dennis)I reckon I'll get smoked on those.

My trolling rods are a pair of 10- 16 kilo rods, both with spinning reels with 50lb braid. I also have a 30 kilo rod and 6000 series spinning reel with about 200m of 50 lb mono I might take along just to say I used it! (My main shark'n rod)

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2007/09/03 20:00

Roll Call

I am going to send off the deposit, I need to know who's coming so I can organise budgets and costs.

I got for sure will be there

Ray

Feral (Alex nc)

Graham

Ferg

BD

Need to confirm asap

Polphonic (Jamie)

Scott

Terry H

Lee

Did I miss anyone? Please speak up.

Post edited by: Brian D, at: 2007/09/05 09:22

Post edited by: Brian D, at: 2007/09/05 09:22

Jamie is going last I heard (which is 99% ), dunno about his deckie.

Brian, limit will be 5 per person whilst we are there. !! Mind you unless your bringing a very big freezer, you would fill it in two days if you kept your limit!

Update,

Jamie just texted me, He and Scott are definates.

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2007/09/08 17:02

OK I have just spoken with the cabins and we have a problem.

I asked for a week (22-28th) and they booked us for 6 nights. They expecet us to be departing Sunday 28th. Arrrrrrrrrrrrr. In my world the 28th is inclusive.

Anyway they are looking at the booking due in after us, if they can delay them they will.

Stay Turned, we might need somewhere else for 1 night.

Terry and Lee - I told them that you will be staying only 3 nights and they said OK and agreed. So I will prepare a cost sheet based on this.

Moduran - I have booked a powered site for 19-21 oct but am looking at a house boat - I'll let you know if I am successful.

Archived