Baitcasters or Spinning Reels

I use numerous rods and reels for different types of fishing.

Ill take Ferals Example and itemise.

Small Lure fishing for bass, bream, toga etc: Spinning Reel around teh 2500 size and preferably Shimano. at the moment a Twin Power.

Bigger lure fishing for species like Barra, Jacks, Big Gts: My Shimano Culcutta overhead bait caster.

Surf fishing: Alvey, Alvey and Alvey. Cant beat it.

Small bore Sharking: Either my Viva baitrunner spinning reel 4500 size. Or my Viva overhead chunky baitcaster.

Large Land Based sharks: Shimano Tiagra 80W spooled with 100lb line. Might sound like overkill butthese things get spooled!

What about you mate?

Angus

Post edited by: Angus, at: 2007/01/19 13:24

I think that someone would have to show saltwater assasin what an alvey is as i thinkthat the only other country that uses sidecast reels is scotland and they call them mallochs.

I used to love my 6inch alvey,14ft rod,25lb line 4 O jag hooks and a big school of mullet. I think i would be run off the beach these days with it.

Ray

rayke1938 wrote:

I think that someone would have to show saltwater assasin what an alvey is as i thinkthat the only other country that uses sidecast reels is scotland and they call them mallochs.

I used to love my 6inch alvey,14ft rod,25lb line 4 O jag hooks and a big school of mullet. I think i would be run off the beach these days with it.

Ray

Yeah not sure what an Alvey is?

Post edited by: saltwater assassin, at: 2007/01/20 08:35

Angus wrote:

I use numerous rods and reels for different types of fishing.

Ill take Ferals Example and itemise.

Small Lure fishing for bass, bream, toga etc: Spinning Reel around teh 2500 size and preferably Shimano. at the moment a Twin Power.

Bigger lure fishing for species like Barra, Jacks, Big Gts: My Shimano Culcutta overhead bait caster.

Surf fishing: Alvey, Alvey and Alvey. Cant beat it.

Small bore Sharking: Either my Viva baitrunner spinning reel 4500 size. Or my Viva overhead chunky baitcaster.

Large Land Based sharks: Shimano Tiagra 80W spooled with 100lb line. Might sound like overkill butthese things get spooled!

What about you mate?

Angus<br><br>Post edited by: Angus, at: 2007/01/19

13:24

Well Right now I am using the Shimano Citica 100DSV. They are great little baitcaster. I have a Okuma EF30 spinning reel that never gets used, not big on spinners. If I fish for sharks ABU 7000. We dont catch near as big of sharks here.

The beauty of the alvey is that they are very simple and tolerant of being dropped in the sand. If you drop one in the sand and it feels a bit gritty when you wind you can usually clear it just by dropping it in the water and giving it a bit of a swish around and away tou go.

If that doesnt fix it just undo one knurled nut and remove the spool and give it a bit of a wipe.

Try doing that with your eggbeater or baitcaster.

Ray

I use different rods and reels for different fishing..

OFFSHORE TLD 25 6ft 20kg outfit and Alvey 7.25 deep sea 6ft 15kg.(Bottom bashing)

[/bINSHORE Jarvis Walker 7000 threadline reels 7ft estury rods (shimano)

CREEKS & BAYS Alvey 6\" side cast 8ft rod

My wife uses a PENN 7000 spinning reel on a UGLY STICK .

Different strokes for different blokes as the saying goes,,

When working on a PRO boat (years ago) we used 14\" Alvey SEA QUEEN deck winchs . Bottom bashing 150mtrs deep .

Laurie

rayke1938 wrote:

Ray

We can't do that anymore Ray -the netters took all the mullet, bloody dikheads

Bait casters don't limit casting distance, rods do. A longer rod will let you cast further.

And if you buy a good enough baitcaster then you can cast nearly as far as with an egg beater. Baitcasters also stop you from getting line twist where as a threadline reels twists your line up badly.

I bought a Pfluegar President WLP when it was reduced to $199.00 (from $349.99) and when spooled with 15lb Tuf Line, it can cast a 3 gram lure, into a slight head-wind, about 20 metres. Which is more than enough.

Archived