saying goodbye to landbased fishing!

Eug

Went down on the weekend to see Theo at Coorparoo Marine to inspect a 4.2 bluefin runabout. Placed a deposit today and totally stoked! Itching to get out on the water and do some hardcore fishing and possibly camping.

Just wondering if there's anything I need to know before rushing out there?

1st is to get a copy of beacon to beacon.

Will be sticking to the sheltered waters first, i.e. Bris River, Jumpinpin and Kooka park. Slowly build up the confidence and then probably out into the bay.

Would be great if there's a gathering of us fishos so a noob like me can learn the ropes.

1239756227_img02008_0310Image0001.JPG

getting one this in dark blue!

nice boat man feels good to get off the land ay :D

i've had mine since the 7th april taken it out 5 times. Just keep taking it out, go at your own pace and you will build your confidence. as jeff said take a decky right away who knows a bit about the waterway you're in, its a big help. you will get the hang of launching and landing very quickly as was also mentioned have some fun driving the trailor around, backing it up etc

stay safe out there and have fun :D

might see ya on the water some time i'm in a 4.45m 4 seasons sea wasp white with blue rego #'s

Congratulations looks like Coorparoo Marine are becoming the AFO dealer of choice. Seriously they are a real helpful team and will be happy to help you out if you require some help . You could probably bleed a couple of good spots from Mick or Theo.They all live for fishing.

Dont forget to get a couple of AFO stickers for the boat so we can recognise you.

Come down to Wello point swap meet and meet a few of us.

Cheers

Ray

splice up a length of rope as long as the boat and half that again. tie it off up the front. use for launching, and tie to the rear as well when putting it back onto the trailer. { called a pointer. } ahh always check the bungs, i do mine 3/4 times per trip. it will happen

Have to agree with no name.. Bungs are a big one.. I have a checklist in the shed I look at before going out, I always put my bungs in at home. If you take a lot of gear out to clean it after each trip a check list is pretty handy, mine includes telling people where Im going and when I'll be back!

use it a few times bare and think about what you absolutely need and where to put it. something that i really hate now is all these new light rods have short butts and the reels rest on the top sides of the boat, not very confident they will stay there either.

Smiderman wrote:

It might be a dumb question but got you're license yet? fisheries / water police will be all over you like a fat kid spotting an M&M

yeah mate got one earlier this year and took a few hire tinnies out at coomera to get my feet wet so to speak

cheers dan, if your hellcat is any example to go by i'm sure i'm in good hands.

added spray chines and motor-trailer support brace.

quick question, does anyone know where to get those bait boards with rod holders which mount just above the motor? are they usually custom or off the shelf?

deluxe_bait_board.jpg

something like this!

also keen on finding out what types of winds to look out for?

anything under 10/15 knots is preferred right?

which direction?

any other sites other than seabreeze?

wind direction will depend on where ya launching . any northerly will mess most of the bay up if over 15knt . stick to the calm days till you get a feel for how the boat rides .

most importantly , if at anytime you feel uneasy SLOW DOWN !! might take longer to get back to shore if the weather goes to crap outta nowhere ( most days in mortern bay :( )

but you will get back by using common sense in most weather .

Boating is a recreational pasttime for most so why rush everywhere ??

try amm for the bait station, thats australian master marine. it might cost a bit, but will be built well and the experience these sort of people have compared to a run of the mill welding joint will have you pleased with the job long after the price is forgotten. i mean they can even advise you of what you might need and where, eg. live bait tank underneath the lid on 1 side, that sort of thing. it will be very practicle they will also know what height to make it at, it's the little things that you really pay for.

Eug..... Mate I have almost the same boat as that except its a Savage.

When do you take delivery of it? I used to teach boating in Sydney for near on 10 years and more than happy to spend 1/2 day or so with you at your own pace going through all sorts of things from launching, slow speed, high speed, trimming, anchoring, recovery etc.

Its one thing to learn the theory, but nothing beats getting out there and having a go at it.

The Pin is probably the best place to do it as its got a big ramp, good parking, big pontoon for docking practice not far away and we can have a sneaky fish at the same time.

Booty, shouldn't be too long.

Might just take you up on that offer mate!! I agree nothing like diving in head first and getting practical. The Pin sounds like a plan.

I've got a fair idea on basics, I've played with small tinnies a few times but this boat is much larger than I'm used to - would be sweet!

Also thanks for the baitmate link, just what I'm looking for.

It appears that I should have gotten most of theses things before I get the boat painted. More money to spend! Woohoo!

mate im 16 and borrow my dads tinny to take my brother or a couple of mates out at kookaburra park and we love it got a coupe of them into fishing ey ... although no big catches yet we r getting more cluey each time. the great thing about it compared to land fishing is u can try so many different spots with way less effort and in way less time

• 1 month later...

well after a long couple of weeks i finally brought her home.

have yet to decide on a name but i have a few candidates that i'm sleeping on.

she's a 4.2 bluefin discovery with a 2 stroke 40HP mercury lightning xr

got a bimini and a entry range sounder (eagle cuda 300?)

got 2 rod holders put in on either side of the stern and will be taking her out sometime next week to decide on the positioning of other gear as i go.

attached are some pics, hope you enjoy.

looking forward to having some deckie spots available as well. would prefer some experienced deckies first up just to get the swing of things.

getting excited, i must have sat at the wheel for about an hour just soaking it all in whilst in the garage!

cheers

eug [img size=1024]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/DSC05024__Large_.JPG

post-3471-144598498094_thumb.jpg

Archived