Pet Fish Limits

Cowfish13

You hear a lot of people saying "That'd look great in a tank" or something similar, but I was just wondering, what are the size limits for fish in tanks?

I'd assume it'd have to be over the normal legal size to take from the wild and put it into a tank, but when people put up pictures of their fish on here, there are alot of fish that are way under this size.

Are there special regulations allowing you to buy fish from a pet store when it is under size? After that, how could you prove that you bought it from a shop in the unlikely event that a fisheries officer came knocking on your door? :silly: Need to keep a receipt?

Thanks

the fish in the shops that normally have a legal size are bred in captivity so no legal size appliess same rule for those farmed baby barra you see in supermarkets and resturants

the only wild caught fish you will see in an aquarium shop are saltwater fish wich dont have legal sizes but you require a dpi permit to collect them for sale

They also have to be able to prove the fact that they were purchased from a breeder. They get audited. Thats why some shops dont have particular species.

Dodgy shops will take fish from the average person of the street. IE jacks that are undersize. If they get caught without paperwork they are done for.

some of the smaller fresh water fish are nice and fairly easy to keep.

blue eye, gudgeon, rainbow, etc can be bought or caught ,there are number limits on how many u can catch in 1 go.

after all most fish are native somewhere.

i have some rainbows caught for a creek.

my mate has rainbows,gudgeon and others in 1 tank .the second tank has barra,spangle perch and banded grunter.

i got links about for aussie native tank and pond fish.can't find them on other pc.

heaps on google .

/>http://www.aaq.com.au/aquarium.htm

/>http://www.aaq.com.au/members.htm

/>http://www.angfa.org.au/

have a look there are some beautiful fish easy to keep and don't kill each other .

I am not sure about marine aquarium fish being captive bred. With the exception of clownfish, cardinal fish and seahorses very, very few marine fish can be successfully bred incaptivity. I think that people that have a live fish collection permit may be exempt from size limits. Also don't forget that a lot of marine fish sold in aquarium shops are imported.

MoparKevUk wrote:

Wow! It's never crossed my mind to keep native fish in a tank. Any info on this new found fun fandangled Aussie thang?? Tanks/water/aerators/hassles/worth the bother? All info greatfully sucked up by my spongey melon. B)

Yeah man Native tank set ups look awesome.

Angus

Been reading up a bit on keeping Jack or other native fish etc. Seems far too much hassle and time, so maybe in the future. Also came across an old article (2007) stating that NSW doesn't have size limits on certain fish and these are the undersize fish that turn up in QLD fish shops. Has this changed since then?

Archived