australia day river run

jeff f

dropped the boat in at the colmslie ramp at first light

tried drifting along the raptis jettys with gulps for no result not even a bump, tried a second drift with small unidentified hard body for a couple of hits and one 28cm bream landed.

went down to the gateway tried the gulps again,nothing

started flicking little hb around, got nothing.went for a run downstream to find the sunken wall.

had a troll along the edge of the wall,for 1 pike, ripper,jewfish bait. had a look in the entrance to boggy creek and ran aground.

went over to the aquarium passage and cruised up as far as the railway bridges found really deep hole compared to the rest of the creek going to try it at night with livebait.started chucking HBs at anything that looked interesting, got a small bream 30cm, then my little lure got smacked by swomething with a bit more go in it and up comes a lovely little jack 20 cm juvenile stripes still very bright very pretty litle fish made my morning.decided to troll my way back down to the river got nothing.

went for a run up to breaky creek, spotted troy and ando on the baqnk had a yak to them for a while then hit breaky creek. ran out a couple of lures and trolled my way upstream. landed a nice 48cm dusky flathead under the 5th bridge hooked bag of dead kittens just past the 6th YUKKKK!!!!

left breaky creek to meet lozzel in the river, found each other eventually had a little meet \"n\" greet then headed of in oppisite directions to fish.

tried chucking gulps at the walls and overhangs along the section upstream from newstead,NOTHING, switched to a kokoda sp a sort of brown curltail thing, got 2 small bream 27&29cm ,a cod 36cm, and smashed off by something big.fish all hanging in the shade proves they smarter than me time to take my sunburned forearms home. the end

I agree Jeff,fish are smarter, I threw hard bodies most of the day and got some hits in the shade of the Gateway. Drifted the walls and fished arround the jettys all to no avail (only catties).Will definatly do a early morn or late evening or night fish with yer when glenda dosent have to work.

Heres a positive Karma for your assistance yesterday Thanks

You did better than I did this morning. Speaking of the Aquarium passage I picked some mullet up today there in the cast net (most were too big 30cm+). I saw a couple of dolphins swimming upstream yesterday arvo but this morning I picked a fish I hadn't seen before. It looked kind of jackish, maybe a little sleeker. It wasn't a red as a jack. Mainly silver but with red/purplish tinge to the fins. I was going to take a photo but he escaped the net. I was wondering if it was one of those Brisbane river perch I've read about.

Cheers

Good report Jeff. Sounds like you had a good day out.

HB's are beating sp's at the momment. Cool. I remember when I first met Troy and Angus at Breaky creek, I asked if they ever use HB's and they looked at me like I had 3 heads (heads not chins feral). Now they don't leave home without em.

Not saying I had anything to do with them swicthing but just a change in trends.

ThePush wrote:

I picked a fish I hadn't seen before. It looked kind of jackish, maybe a little sleeker. It wasn't a red as a jack. Mainly silver but with red/purplish tinge to the fins.

Got me stumped to, cleaning the river up is making it to hard to ID the fish, before it was either catfish or well catfish.

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2007/01/27 09:37

I don't mean to hijack this thread. But I reckon it might have been a jack that I caught in the net. It was around 20cm and I found a photo which was very similar [img size=250]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/mangrovejack.jpg

I've never seen one this silver before. I didn't get to get a great look because he escaped the net. I might have to venture back to see if I can snare a larger onwe!

post-789-144598406418_thumb.jpg

Archived