Not good for NPD

Feral

:(

With the heavy rainfall in the North Pine Dam catchment it is looking serious for North Pine Dam. They have had close to 10 inches of rain in the last 36 hours. Last months 4 inches of rain raised the dam from 50% to 72%. But the catchment was already wet.

As we all know the bass have started schooling up in the deeper water, preparing for their annual spawning run. This is a really bad time of the year for the dam to go over, if it does, we could loose a significant amount of the bass over the wall, which has happened to Baroon, McDonald, Ewen Maddock in the last two years.

Just under 2 inches on Monday, which would have nicely wet the catchment, but little runnoff would have occured.

19th.jpg

7 1/2 inches overnight and still raining, most if this will go straight in to the dam.

20th.jpg

The rainfall pattern since 9am yesterday morning.

npd.jpg

All I can say I hope you all like catching yella's!

haha i can see ray out there in the rain checking all his pots and extending the ropes and putting a brick on each pot so they dont move and he can still keep his dinner lol

btw someones gonna have to more the KFC picnic table to higher ground at summerset again

The SEQ website is down at the moment.. Does anyone know what % it's at now? Feral is right though, The basin was already wet.. I really dont see how it can not go. We are supposed to get hammered again today and all night and tomorrow... Not to mention the days following that with all the run off.. I predict they will be opening the gates this weekend.. Lets hope the Bass up in our arm of the dam stay well away from the wall.

If it does go, there will be some good fishing below the wall. The ones that went over last time are smart old fish now and hard to catch...some dumb newbie bass will be a welcome addition. You'll just have to make the most out of what ever happens. The hardest part will be looking after the lungfish. I heard stories from last time...WOW start patching the waders fellas !!!

This will be very bad for NPD if it goes over. I spoke to the ranger at Baroon pocket a little whuile back and he sounded sick when he told me about the thousands of bass that had schooled up and went for it over the spillway. The result was thousand s and thousands of dead fish.

The last reading is at 83%

go here for the old seq water site..

oldsite.seqwater.com.au

cheers

I just spoke to a guy from SEQ water and yes they will release it very close to 100% if not bang on.. It's sad but inevitable that many fish will die going over the gate. That is hundreds of tonnes of water pressure smashing down on a creek bed and rocks.. Some will survive but many will die. Poor PRFMA - looks like they'll have some more fingerlings on the shopping list.

As one who assisted the capture and release of lungfish, bass over 55 cms, big yellas and lots of little stuff,last time the dam went over 10 years or so ago, the damage to a lot of fish was devastating. Fins worn off, tails damaged,descaled down their sides, and more. There was also an enormous number that were not injured at all and they were returned in great numbers. When things settled down, cobber and I had a ball below the wall catching up to 150 bass in a morning session on fly. That went on for a while but in lesser numbers then the yellow coats got to know about it and took out buckets of fish until it was cleaned out. When, not if, the dam goes over, do your bit if asked. :cheer:

Brian D wrote:

rayke1938 wrote:
83.6 % at the moment and a lot more water to come down. Seabreeze looks ok for tomorrow so I may try to get out to get my pots.

Cheers

Ray

Go now you old softie :kiss:

:laugh: and while you are out there Ray shoot down the wall quickly and put up a big mesh screen to let the water out and keep the fish in :P

What is the deal with getting them in the creek below the dam wall? How is this done i.e. Waders??? catching by hand ???

That creek gets pretty deep when its full of water and I reckon the barrages near the pumping station and the next one lower will have a lot of water over them if they start letting water out of the dam.

Can you beleive this RAIN !!!!

Cheers

Dino just spoke to me on his mobils on the dam which is dirty brown and full of rubbish and debris with trees and branches in the flow. Too dangerous for him so he's heading back to the ramp. Good mate, saved me the trip. Good place to be off for a while. :cheer:

Info from seq water this morning:

Water Storage Status Table as at 21/05/09

Item_____________________________Wivenhoe____Somerset__North Pine_______Totals

Volume Stored (ML)________________648,653_____404,048____214,960_______1,267,661

Percentage in Storage______________55.67%_____106.37%____100.00%__________72.02%

Change since yesterday_____________+7.598%___+10.722%____+16.326%________+9.338%

Rainfall at dam site 24 hours (mm)______79_________57_________75_________68 average

and I bet Wivenhoe will carry on filling up for a few days at least

Archived