Fish of the month

Oztrav

Well, I keep reading that bream are a winter fish, but judging by last winter vs this summer it is bulls!t! Bass are also 'meant' to be a winter fish but I read this is mainly because they come up into shallower warmer water not just because they eat more. Well thats for NP anyway.

Thanks

Tim

dam fishing is totally different as it is not tidal

what i meant was that those species listed are offshore fish and not many people on this site go offshore. Good idea but not catering for the audience as most of us are dam hunters kayak or landbased or run around in the bay.

I think it's a good move. Diversifing and expanding is a good thing. Opens more options and appeals to a wider group.

I dare say that the guys will never forget their roots but this is a logical expansion. Quite clever if I read it right. At a guess, it's a move to expand the site in order to appeal to a wider group which should help attract additional sponsors.

Ask yourself - how many donated.

I know it seams that the River and bay miss out but I expect that won't be forever. The fish of the month is the target species that should be easy caught if you go after it.

How much overseas and corporate exposure can a bream and bass get? Now Marlin is known and chased world wide.

Hats' off to you guys - thanks for the site.

yeah putting it like that brian it seems to be a good idea but things cant take off on new members alone look how many new mewmbers sign up and how many contribute, let alone go through the hassle of posting pics, maybe inshore species to get it up and interesting then a move onto bigger fish.

Yeah Oz and Feral I know what you mean and feel the same way - but I tried not to re-act and I considerd the greater good. If I read it right these guys are smart.;)

But as for loyality to rivers, bays and dams - I think I will also be a River Rat and proud of it. :)

Good luck to the ocean goers :P knock yourself out - each to your own. But for the site to be complete it needs a greater variety.

Cheers we all love fishing:cheer:

Yeah, blame it on me brian.. :laugh:

I won't mention the fact you didn't throw a single lure (until we were leaving!) This excludes trolling to the locations.

Best thought of the day: \"I don't need a net for this fella!

oops, that was something not mentioned in the report ;) :laugh:

Woops allright - forgot about that one. We got a tailor trolling on the north side of couchie island, which would have been perfect live bait but intsead of using a net I just grabbed the trace and dropped the fish.:blush: Terry was pretty good about it but his face a a very painfull look about it.

I think that its a good idea to expand our horizons and to be forced to think outside the square, having said that I was a dinosaur at work and totally opposed to any management initiated changes.Then again I would have had a different view a few weeks ago when I only had an inshore capable boat.

Ray

Post edited by: rayke1938, at: 2007/02/01 18:30

For all concerned,

The Fish of the Month competition is a small competition to aimed at seeing what people can catch when set with a challenge, as well as getting member's active on the site. It is also a way for us to give back to the members prizes for their effort in making this a great site.

This competition is being run in conjunction with other fishing groups, who in turn are promoting and helping us grow AFO. As a result, the species are jointly decided upon between all parties, so no one single group (eg freshwater or estuary) will be targeted continuously. We aim to nominate various types of fish for all types of fishing. The AFO site is a broad fishing site for all anglers in the South-East Qld region and we encourage all types of fishing.

There will be Fish of the Month section on the site in the next week as well as how to enter etc etc.

Hope that answers questions you may have about this competition :)

The breeds of fish will change each month and over the course of time most species will be nominated whether they be inshore or off. we're looking at catering for all, and we only aim to run one competition with one species. Just means if someones keen on trying to take out the prize they can target for that species if they werent thinking of targeting that breed, and if they were that would be a bonus. If the breed is not your cup of tea, then there is always the next month :)

hope that makes it a bit clearer, but thanks for the suggestions - we do take them onboard, though have other things to keep in mind when making decisions.

• 1 month later...

Oztrav wrote:

what about fish of the month with two categories inshore and offshore and fish of the month going to the better quality of breed of fish if you know what i mean.

Look I'm a bay fisherman and regurally target Mackeral, but I've only managed to get out into the bay once this month. I've never caught a Billfish, Tuna or Wahoo, but I don't care what fish they put up. When the bass and bream species are the target, I'll have next to no chance. But I'll just wait untill the next fish that I might be able to catch.

Archived