Bretts Wharf/Newstead 19/06/09... New reel FAIL

Dibbs

Decided to hit up Bretts Wharf/Newstead Park this arvo/tonight with my new "Soft Plastic" set up.... apparently should have done more research prior to getting what I did....

First casts.... zzzzz *about 0.2 second*.....BANG!!!! SP hits the ground in front of me. "That was a s*** cast". Nope I was wrong (presumably :P )... the line bounced and ended up in a birds nest bigger than the actual reel.

I've Never spooled a bait caster before this and think I messed up somewhere "Damn you youtube videos".

No line left/worth keeping as it was a huge mess and I'd very little choice but to cut it off.

Gonna keep the reel as it has awesome motion, but the line is gone. From what I'm told in my other recnt post it's more suited to live bait/shallow reef so I'm happy enough with that.

Called the Mrs to come drop off my usual rig. She brought that and her own one along. Hit it for a while but only got 2 enquiries. Was in a foul mood :laugh: after what happened to my new rig so packed it up and decided to head home.

Anyone that is willing to teach me the arts of SP's please PM me...... I obvioulsy need help. :laugh:

Or anyone selling a decent SP combo let me know. I'm on hte hunt either next week or the week after. Prices negotiable (as long as they come with lessons). :woohoo:

Mind you... I caught the biggest fish I've ever caught tonight... just happened to come from the playstation 3 game Rapala Fishing. :blush:

Yup yup yup seen it all too often :laugh: and it still makes me laugh.

New reels and rods are best tested in a big park ....... slowly...... Nice easy casts till you get the feel for it then start putting more effort into it. Even then things are going to blow up some reels, but thats life :blink:

Practice casting your baitcaster down at the local park. You should be able to get the hang of it sooner or later, it took me roughly an hour or so with a few minor birdsnest. Also I was taught to put your thumb on the spool when the lure or bait is about to hit the water.

Thanks TomW

A few hints. Take the baitcaster combo down to the park, use a sinker on the end and practise until it's easy. Make sure your thumb never leaves the spool and when the sinker hits the ground, make sure you jam down hard on the spool with your thumb to prevent an over-run. Also, when you are using it, wind the sinker/lure up to about 6" away from the rod tip, then adjust the mechanical brake (little knob that controls spool tension on the handle side of the reel) so that the sinker/lure only extremely slowely moves down when the reel is in free spool.

If you do all that, you won't get a birds nest

Cowfish13 wrote:

A few hints. Take the baitcaster combo down to the park, use a sinker on the end and practise until it's easy. Make sure your thumb never leaves the spool and when the sinker hits the ground, make sure you jam down hard on the spool with your thumb to prevent an over-run. Also, when you are using it, wind the sinker/lure up to about 6" away from the rod tip, then adjust the mechanical brake (little knob that controls spool tension on the handle side of the reel) so that the sinker/lure only extremely slowely moves down when the reel is in free spool.

If you do all that, you won't get a birds nest

Agree, except thumb the spool just before the plug hits the ground ;)

A couple of tips for learning to use a baitcaster which may help you. Wind about ten metres of line out and put some tape on the spool. Then wind the line back on. If you get a bird nest while practicing you won't tangle too much line. As you get better put the tape at fifteen metres, twenty, thirty...you get the idea. Small casts to start until you get comfy, then you can start aiming for the horizon.

Some people like to hold the reel so it's not parallel to the ground...hold your rod in front of you and twist your hand so the reel is sitting on an angle 30 to 40 degrees can make a difference. This can mess with the forces generated by the spool spinning and calm down the spin rate, I found this helped a little. As you improve you don't have to do this.

Educate your thumb and feather the spool, during the cast to start with until you work out the casting controls ( learn what these do )

They are tough to get used to, when I first started I got birnests that a wedgetail could live in.

Archived