Squid fishing spots and tips please

zeppelin

Mate manly is a good start.

Incoming tide.

2.5 weighted jig.

Cast off the northern walls and into the harbour.

Cast out, allow to sink.

Once it hit the bottom give it a few sharp jerks/jigs.

Allow it to rest and leave it still for a good 10-15 seconds.

Repeat.

The Squid will often take up the jig/egi when it is at rest. This will feel like a rise of tension on the line and nothing more.

Another technique is a slow (as slow as you can without snagging it on the bottom) retrieve, the squid will take it in motion.

Important to note with any method is once you have hooked it, keep a lot of tention on the line to the point of even high sticking the rod.

Being barbless failer to do this can see the squid get off.

Cheers.

Angus

i have a little bit different approach with yours angus :) but dont get me wrong it doesnt mean urs not right but just some different technique heeh

my experience is the first 2 hours in the outgoing tide is the best, its like fishing, bait fish holding in the shallow move back to the deep and the squid will wait and hunt them in the deeper water e.g dropoffs. At this time i'll use a #3.5 to cast much further targetting the deep. #2.5 jigs are good to sightcasting those in the shallow and not so big ones but when they got like above a kilo, the barbs on 2.5s are often too weak and soft, result in can't setting the hook properly and even straighten hook during the fight. I was a believer in using #3 jigs only but about a year ago i got rid of nearly all of them, this is some perfectly examples why:

img_0218.jpg

img_0219.jpg

even baby squid would attack jigs that above its size but not so often the other way around. and with a larger jig u can cast way better and read the bottom heaps easlier aswell. Hope it helps guys :)

i'll have to admit ... i've never been interested in squid jigging till i tasted one a friend caught ... yummy :)

anyway ... two of them have different techniques ... one more succesful than the other ...

at shorncliff pier ... mate tied a glow stick approx 50 - 100 cm from squid jig ... squid jig approximately 1 - 2 metres below water surface ... most at shorncliff were using same tech ... one dude ... had whole plastic bag full :cheer:

the other mate ... would cast out and slow retrieve ... his squid jig is luminous ... he gets them ... but glow sticks seem to work better ...

anyway ... i'm dying to try the glow sticks tech next time i head out to shorncliffe / woody point ... yum ... :laugh:

Personally I don't like using glowsticks when fishing for squid, especially off well known spots like Shorncliffe. Some nights, the squid are really responsive to anything in the water and the glowsticks will help them find it better. Other nights they are quite cautious and I find glowsticks will deter them to a degree.

I like fishing the lighter 2.5 jigs and just almost deadsticking the jigs with a few light lifts of the rod, letting the current glide them around. However I always carry a few sizes and vary it depending on what's working that night.

I got my first squid a couple of days ago at Manly, surprisingly it was a decent size southern calamari rather than the arrow squid. From what little I've seen so far, arrow squid are probably nocturnal hunters while calamari are around during daylight hours (or can be enticed to hit a lure then). Rather than lures I use squid prongs baited with a yellowtail or slimy off the ocean rocks in southern NSW but the calamari can be up to 50cm, averaging 30-35cm. I don't see anyone here use baited prongs, maybe a smaller set to accommodate a herring or hardyhead might be worth a shot.

I wouldn't mind trying for arrow squid but these nights are a bit cool.

BTW here's a pic of the squid. Somebody said it was a cuttlefish but I'm pretty sure it's a calamari. [img size=800]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/squid-d648f9625b0530b92fb897b97674e5ec.jpg

Yep that's a Squid. Awesome colours on him too!

I've only ever fished for Squid during daylight, and have only ever picked up the Tiger Squid/Calarami, so maye there's some truth in that arguement about arrow squid at night etc...

Zeppelin: Do yourself a favour, and buy good quality jigs. I'm talking $15-20 yamashita's, yo-zuri's or jackalls. The difference they make is massive.

Cowfish13 wrote:

Zeppelin: Do yourself a favour, and buy good quality jigs. I'm talking $15-20 yamashita's, yo-zuri's or jackalls. The difference they make is massive.

Absolutely right there cowfish, cheap jigs can cost you more than just money, those crappy copies in the market are just like a piece of rubbish in the water, plus broken eyes feathers fell off some even u can pull the brab out with no effort :angry:

i have a quick question for the pros out there, would a squid jig under a float work? If i left that in the holder while flicking a plastic around the swell should give the jig a bit of movement maybe?

i mainly fish around coochie and have felt weight on hard body lures only to wind in and find nothing, might be squid hey?

cheers

Nick

Hi Nick

I've caught squid that way too while out in a boat. They'll take a lure bobbing under the float but if you're not watching, they'll spit it out just as easily. I find that using a baited jig works better in a 'hands-off' approach as a) you will know when the float disppears and/or the rod bends and B) squid are most reluctant to release a juicy fish they've wrapped their tentacles around.

I will be out in force from thursday onwards, the moon will be back on then.

I am still yet to nail one but i have had them on the lure. think i need to reel a bit faster once i have felt them pull.

I will be covering most of the manly boat harbour area i think, focusing off william gunn too.

Jeryl wrote:

i have a little bit different approach with yours angus :) but dont get me wrong it doesnt mean urs not right but just some different technique heeh

my experience is the first 2 hours in the outgoing tide is the best, its like fishing, bait fish holding in the shallow move back to the deep and the squid will wait and hunt them in the deeper water e.g dropoffs. At this time i'll use a #3.5 to cast much further targetting the deep. #2.5 jigs are good to sightcasting those in the shallow and not so big ones but when they got like above a kilo, the barbs on 2.5s are often too weak and soft, result in can't setting the hook properly and even straighten hook during the fight. I was a believer in using #3 jigs only but about a year ago i got rid of nearly all of them, this is some perfectly examples why:

img_0218.jpg

img_0219.jpg

even baby squid would attack jigs that above its size but not so often the other way around. and with a larger jig u can cast way better and read the bottom heaps easlier aswell. Hope it helps guys :)

is the bottom pic a cuttle fish?

It's a squid. Easiest way to tell a cuttlefish apart is to look at the eyes. Cuttlefish have eyes that look like they have eyelids and are located closer to the top of their head like an octopus, whereas squid have big round eyes on the side of their heads. Here's a pic of a cuttlefish. [img size=800]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/cuttlefish.jpg

To think that calamari can grow to half a metre long within the lifespan of only 12 months. Imagine if they live longer and keep growing, I wouldn't want to standing too close to the water's edge near deep water! :)

Here's a larger than average one I caught on the NSW south coast. They're quite common at this size. The tube not as rounded as the ones I've seen in Brisbane but they're definitely calamari, not arrow (Gould's) squid.

[img size=387]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/squid-0e51876910cfd6c235858391d3b51a27.jpg

sehrguht wrote:

I will be out in force from thursday onwards, the moon will be back on then.

I am still yet to nail one but i have had them on the lure. think i need to reel a bit faster once i have felt them pull.

I will be covering most of the manly boat harbour area i think, focusing off william gunn too.

Hi sehrguht

Hope you nail one tomorrow. I got my third one just yesterday and I saw another one caught so they're about. I think I'm getting the hang of it now as I'd have another 2 more but for silly mistakes like leaving the drag on too tight so the thing blew off and left me with a bit of inked tentacle and not making sure of my balance so it was either go for a swim or lose the squid. Heck, I figured there's always gonna be another squid out there.

This works for me: keep your drag light and they will hook themselves. I haven't had one escape after striking (other than for the forementioned 'dohs'). They hit hard and the drag immediately sings.

I went out to WG jetty, had a flick from 7pm onwards, i got one arrow 25cm tube, a few others following and tonnnnes of pike chasing too.

dads mate came along for the first time and got a 20cm(ish) tube length calamari too.

I think i might be bust most of the weekend but definitely will give it a shot either sunday monday or tuesday

sehrguht wrote:

I went out to WG jetty, had a flick from 7pm onwards, i got one arrow 25cm tube, a few others following and tonnnnes of pike chasing too.

dads mate came along for the first time and got a 20cm(ish) tube length calamari too.

I think i might be bust most of the weekend but definitely will give it a shot either sunday monday or tuesday

That's great. I left at 7, but didn't bother trying WG. That wind wasn't all that enjoyable. Didn't see a single squid. I caught a few large hardyheads and put them out as live attractants which ended up in the gob of a few monster pike.

Hmm, arrow squid you say, that'd be fun. I haven't caught that species yet. I heard they are super aggressive too.

Gad wrote:

The luminescent ones work ok,so I would imagine the lighted ones would too.Only one way to find out..

cheers

Hi Gad

I have a couple of luminescent ones, never had any luck with them so far. But the squid I've caught were during the day so colours probably worked best.

it's a bit out of your target area, but the squid were crazy yesterday up at the inner gneerings off mooloolaba yesterday. Might be coz of the full moon, but every bait we put down would be fought by giant squid. They were even taking whole squid that were meant as snapper bait... we managed to land 3 of them and dropped probably 5. That's all within 3 hours.

Check out the photo, they're pretty big if you ask me (that's a 4lb sweetlip and a shimano TR2000 next to them in the picture)

[img size=800]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/squid-96fd4febf1ee774a3212853f4ed7fb26.jpg

Archived