Speed of the forum?

Guy_H

hey Gents, excellent forum - great layout, but one question - its so slow to load pages?

we run a couple of forums ourself and are members of several others (Automotive) and for some reason this one seems to take forever to load (in this digital age) - is there something in the database holding it back? I'm not sure what forum engine you are running...

Cheers

Guy

been wondering the same thing, i run 1500/556kbps broadband and this forum is like 56kbps dial-up speed

not complaining mind you. love this site and realy appreciate the effort that goes into it.

just wondering.

Post edited by: jeff f, at: 2007/03/01 17:05

webmaster wrote:

Are people talking about the forum or the site (eg homepage)?

Because the homepage seems to take a long time to load however the forum seems to be ok. thoughts?

Thats the deal with mine. sometimes it takes ages for the homepage, but the forum pages are fine.

Same here - a bit like fishing for snapper: takes a while to find 'em but once you do it's full-on action!;)

Or, as one of my mates who's a landlubber would put it, your stomach churns forever but once you're actually seasick, you loose everything you ate in every past life:sick: !

Sounds like a problem with the server of whoever hosts the site. As the site starts to see more traffic the site will continue to get slower. The Bandwidth of the host is like fishing a dam. Not many fishermen lots of action, Heaps of people fishing less fish slower action.:cheer:

Been a lot of issues with IE7 reported around the place Ellicat, would not know myself, switched to firefox years ago! :P

Website is a lot quicker since I upgraded to Firefox 2, with addblock, (still slowish compared to the forum) so maybe your adds are causing the general slowdown for the main site for the others?

Just checked on a couple of different PC's - IE 6 & 7 about the same speed.

Its mainly in the forums where I do most of the browsing, but its around 10 + seconds to load a page, where generally its about 3 seconds for similar forums.

i'm having beers with my webman Saturday - I'll ask him. I know there is some stuff to do with database optimisation - but this could be the hosting server maybe?

For comparison we run www.ozaudi.com, 2800 users, 83,000 posts and load time is < 3 seconds (its php nuke & hosted in Brisbane).

I'll see what else I can find for you.

P.S. Keep up the good work !

• 2 weeks later...

hi guys,

been away for the week, but have been looking into this as this is a top priority for us. i have a pretty good idea why and how i can resolve this issue.

hopefully will have this running better in the next week or two, time permitting.

cheers

jeff f wrote:

wow just changed over to mozilla firefox and it's 10 times faster thanks for the tip feral

karma to ya:woohoo:<br><br>Post edited by: jeff f, at: 2007/03/11 20:39

No worries, been years since I have used internet explorer regularly, occasionally I have to go back for a dodgy bank web site and cant believe how slow it is.

webmaster wrote:

hi guys,

been away for the week, but have been looking into this as this is a top priority for us. i have a pretty good idea why and how i can resolve this issue.

hopefully will have this running better in the next week or two, time permitting.

cheers

Great :silly:

- After looking at it, my mate said it could be the server, but the masses of javascript on each page really slows it down.

Hi, for the past hour i havent been able to load the homepage kept saying server not found, and when it finally worked it took about 5min to load. Has anyone else had this problem or is just me? the forum is running very slow aswell. tried to send this message a couple of minutes ago and a screen came up saying this site is unavalibe.

cheers

troy!

• 4 months later...

webmaster wrote:

Are people talking about the forum or the site (eg homepage)?

Because the homepage seems to take a long time to load however the forum seems to be ok. thoughts?

Nah webby, not just the front page the forums are still taking forever for me. Sometimes like 20secs+ to load a page, and they all say \"done, but with errors.\"

Don't know if the error thing is just me? but I don't get that anywhere else.

Joel

Same here even early mornings whe there are 3-4 ppl online :(

And I too get done but with errors on page everytime but every thing works :pinch:

Last thing I noticed which seemed strange If you have read a post and want to expand the list by clicking more resent post tag it first takes you back to the forum main page and you then have to click it again :pinch:

Gaz

hope that helps

I just deleted my recieved pms and noticed that in order to go to the next pm required me to reload my pm page ?

Like I posted before there seems to be alot of doubleing back ie more lastest posts takes you back to main forum page and when you post it takes you back to the thread and shows x amount reading 3 until it loads fully :silly:

food for thought

Gaz

Mick wrote:

I use both my work connection (LARGE LAN very fast... sometimes upto 1 MB/sec) and my home ADSL 1500/256 using IE 6 and no page in the forum will load in under 10 sec with most being about 15 sec...?

I just ran a speed test on my work connection

Your line speed is 7.61 Mbps (7610 kbps).

Your download speed is 951 KB/s (0.93 MB/s).

Then I just hit quote to write the reply it took 28 sec to load... When I refeshed the previous page it took 24 sec to load.....

But as said b4 all about quality not speed....

This is the only fishing web site i've found that has an incredibly slow speed to refresh as well as load once you sign in.

My broadband at home is 1500 / 256, all other web pages I visit return a load up & refresh speed of approximately 4 > 5 seconds..here it sometimes refreshes twice and takes upto 15> 20 seconds???

I know it's only a matter of seconds but sometimes when ya gotta reply to a post quickly it can get a bit frustrating.

I know i haven't posted much but sometimes before I get a chance to reply someone else has already posted.

As someone once said \"Why is this so\".....

Cheers Dusky.

Mate I love it, Dont care how long it takes. It's new, it's fresh and it's friendly. Keep up the good work mate. For 2 guys that like to fish and do what you have done already with this site is a credit to you both...

Keep up it up ;)

Post edited by: chubbstar, at: 2007/07/26 13:38

first up i think that you guys are doing an unbelivable job on this site all replys are fast informative and friendly the information is rock solid the site is well set out and easy to use it has helped my fishing heaps and i enjoy using it my only posible gripes would be i cant \"open in new window \" and 30 secs on cable is dog slow loading time for a web page but i am no pc guru so with no advice ill shut up and go back to reading the forums

:)

Post edited by: faulked, at: 2007/07/26 14:34

Archived