Xmas hams piccys.

rayke1938

Just finished doing our xmas hams and chooks.

Here are a few photos of the process. Thanks to Gazza for the sawdust .

First job is to pump the pork with the cure.

PC160119AFO.jpg

These are the legs. We buy a whole pig and get the legs boned and netted, keep the pork fillet,turn the belly flaps into bacon, roasting foreleg and the rest into chops. $360 for the pig. 60kg weight.

PC160120AFO.jpg

Pumping.

PC160121AFO.jpg

Pumped ready to soak in brine vat for 3 days.

PC160124AFO.jpg

Pumped chook. We clean,pluck and net the chooks ourselves. ( Mate has chooks)

PC200125AFO-1.jpg

Smoke generator ready to be fired up. I heat the sawdust up on the gas ring untill it ignites and then leave it smolder.

PC200126AFO-1.jpg

enerator hooked up to smoker. I am using a short flue pipe this time as I am hot smoking. When I cold smoke I use a 12ft flue and do not turn on the heating element in the smoker.

PC200127AFO-1.jpg.

The smoker.

PC200128AFO-1.jpg

Loaded up with 8 chooks.

PC200129AFO-1.jpg

Finished chooks hung up to drain. If you dont drain them the internal cavity sometimes fills up with jelly.

PC200126AFO.jpg

Completed ham. Had a problem with this one. We didnt check the netting before we pumped it and the butcher hadnt knotted the netting at one end so I had to tie a sling around the ham to supprt it in the smoker.

PC210127AFO.jpg.

Next job is to slice up the bacon rashers and the ham .

Cheers

Ray

Geez Ray, you're keen aren't ya!!

That was the last bloody thing i wanted to see right now...I just got home from a full day of packing xmas ham orders in Tiaro!!

Nice setup you've got going!

Nat.

PS. Petrie park is a no go at the moment...the river is very very low - never seen it this bad before!

Archived