Cod in Logan and Albert rivers

Swagger

After reading many of the great cod captures over the past month from here, it has me wondering if anyone has caught any closer to brisbane and southside. The logan and albert rivers have some decent structure in certain parts so does anyone know if cod are still caught in these rivers? My father did catch one going back over 10 years from a tributary of the Logan but since that i havent seen one or really heard of them being caught. I understand if people dont want to reveal locations :laugh:

i think there is a stocking programme at christmas creek or around the upper reach's of the logan around beaudesert, i have recently heard of a few cod getting caught at beaudesert, a few bass that were tagged up that way have been recaptured below luscombe weir. so here is hoping the cod have moved a little bit as well, i have to put some more hours in on the logan river around flagstone, i have seen what i believe was a big cod out there on 2 occasions. i have found deeper water that never got shallow through the drought over the years and believe this will be a good starting spot, its the junction of teviot brook and logan river... heaps of timber on steep drop offs and it just screams cod or bass!!! ;) :laugh:

seen a mary river cod caught at darlington park ,Albert river .

i heard they are stocked there as well as bass.

as far as i know u are not allowed to fish for the cod there.

i heard too that the cod where stocked there to help with the carp problem .

some articles i found online about the area and stocking groups .

/>http://ffsaq.ausfish.com.au/QFMSept2007.pdf

/>http://users.tpg.com.au/rossadsl/downloads/carp.pdf

All very good info

I have found spots that look like cod holding areas, but no cod unfortunately. Remote locations seem to be the best bet i'd say. Also going back a while when I was a kid, we used to catch the occasional yellowbelly and silver perch in the albert river but since then not a sign of them

bravoboy wrote:

All very good info

I have found spots that look like cod holding areas, but no cod unfortunately. Remote locations seem to be the best bet i'd say. Also going back a while when I was a kid, we used to catch the occasional yellowbelly and silver perch in the albert river but since then not a sign of them

Trawlers in a river system must affect any marine population.

Mary River Cod have been stocked in various river systems. Outside of the listed impoundments and upstream of them, they are totaly protected and are No Take that is it is illegal to target them and if caught they must be immediately returned to the water.

You can be fined for even taking a pic. The Logan and Albert are No Take waters for Mary River Cod.

Steve

never the intention to keep such a fish, does a photo class it in possession ?if the fish is accidently caught must be released with the up most care. if it is a tagged fish the measurement and info to be passed on and the fish handled with care. i find it strange if you are releasing the fish why would a quick snap shot get you fined?

Thats the way the regulation is written Wes I think it is intended to minimise time out of water on what is in the case of Mary River Cod a critically endangered species. Some people keep fish out of the water for too long when taking pics. I am sure you would have seen this ? Some magazines will not print photos of no take species anymore.

Steve.

I was under the assumption that they were only protected in the Mary system. Even though they are stocked in Borumba, its no take, and a pic of an accidental capture being an offence sounds like a bit of a wank to me. I have seen a photo at anaconda of a bloke holding a cod in the pools below the wall at NPD, go hard at him Steve and leave alone the members that make this a good site

elops wrote:

Mary River Cod have been stocked in various river systems. Outside of the listed impoundments and upstream of them, they are totaly protected and are No Take that is it is illegal to target them and if caught they must be immediately returned to the water.

You can be fined for even taking a pic. The Logan and Albert are No Take waters for Mary River Cod.

Steve

I mainly fish for bass when freshwater fishing and if I get a cod that will be awesome. If I catch one i'll sure as hell be taking a photo of my first ever cod, where will I catch it? Who knows, but im taking a pic regardless. Im all for protecting all species of fish, even catfish, so stop having a dig at people at every thread unless its relevant information. I know the rules, so no need to be so abrupt in your responses

If you wish to look through some of the old posts re taking bass out of season I got a determination from DPI that if you remove a fish out of the water and the fish is a protected species or subject to regulation, it is deemed to be taken and as such an offence has been committed.

I know that it may seem pedantic but the intention of the law is to protect the species as much as possible. Some people will take extreme care with a fish whilst releasing but there are others that do the wrong thing.

Who knows how much longer the MRC will survive now that there is no breeding facility for fingerlings since Anna shut down Mcdonald and has no plans to establish the proposed new facility with the canning of Traverston.

If you catch one please look admire and release as quickly and gently as possible.

You can also jump on me for being holier than thou but please remember even though you may care for these fish and know the letter of the law it is important to get the message across to everyone who may not be so well educated.

Cheers

Ray

Understood Ray, I always release fish as quick as possible and understand the threat that the cod are under. If I ever find a spot that has cod I wouldn't dare reveal the location, not everyone has the species interests of survival at heart. I just would like to have the chance of catching one ;)

Ha ha, doesn't affect me at all, those bugger Mary Cod are far smarter than I am :P. Seriously though, they are a magnificent fish, and from what I have seen from EVERYONE who has caught them from this site, they are released in a prompt manner and with the utmost care!

Well done AFOers on doing a great job!

My say,

Ryan.

Please ensure you keep all discussions friendly. For those that want a quick reminder of some of the site Terms and Conditions.

Overall Community Attitude:

# Keep in mind that Brisbane Fishing Online is a family orientated fishing community

# Our purpose is to share, help and support others

# Always display a positive, friendly attitude

# Be respectful of others' opinions

# Allow your fellow members to voice their opinions without censorship

# Do not deliberately start arguments. Debates are great, as long as they remain respectful!

# Always try to "give" back to our community. For each time you find help or answers here at Brisbane Fishing Online, try to help someone else out in return. - You may find that what goes around comes around...

# Give people a little time to respond to your requests. There's a lot going on in these forums and it may take a little time for people to notice and respond to your request. Please be patient.

# Do not just make a negative statement and leave the person hanging out to dry. Although you may consider yourself to be an "expert" now, try to remember that we were all new and learning once upon a time. Take it easy on your fellow members!

# Do not make threats or implied threats towards other members - even if you think it's fun

bravoboy sorry if my posts are abrupt but I have been a bit pressed for time I have been staring into a microscope at microflora and fauna and fish larvae in what has been a fruitless attempt to keep them alive, also I am a poor typer.

I intend only to educate and inform on a subject which is very important to me not to have a go at any one.

tomca saw the pic at anaconda that fish was returned to the dam along with hopefuly all the others below the dam to save them from the meat harvesters and as many other fish that could be returned as well by the stocking group a lot of hard work but very satisfying and well worth the effort.

Had a long chat with kiwifisho on the phone nice bloke looking forward to meeting him.

If I have offended any one it was not intentional free speech and exchange of knowledge is everyones right.

As Ray said MRC once again face another stumbling block due to the ineptness of Anna and her cronies and other govt. quango's lets hope this can be overcome as the bottom line is fish in the water so we and future generations can fish for them.

Regs Steve.

elops wrote:

Thats the way the regulation is written Wes I think it is intended to minimise time out of water on what is in the case of Mary River Cod a critically endangered species. Some people keep fish out of the water for too long when taking pics. I am sure you would have seen this ? Some magazines will not print photos of no take species anymore.

Steve.

no worries steve ;) i noticed carp busters and select trained anas members can actually target to tag! but a few things to follow for them to be able to. i never knew the mrc was in such critical numbers in the wild as such!! glad to know about it , thanks

well it looks like murray cod instead to target, whats the closest location for them, warwick? or further out?

Archived