man and woman vs. our 1st cods!

tobie10

Yesterday Ryan and I paid another visit to the Stanley. Same sort of ordeal as my first trip out: on the water by 7am, lots of scrambling over things you can't see in water and things that are kind of spiky and dense on land. Water level was a bit higher this time around, which meant that water that came up to Ryan's chest went over my shoulders :D Also, I decided to fall off of a lot of trees, specifically three different ones - but we ended three cods altogether, so fair is fair I guess. It was the 1st official cod for both Ryan and I, so although the Stanley was significantly quieter this time, we were both pretty thrilled with the catch.

All up, 1 yellowbelly, 3 bass, 3 cod.

2nd cod for me and last fish of the day.

P1020691.JPG

Phew. This post turned out to be a bit of a bugger even though I was trying to keep it simple. Everything was taken on spinnerbaits. For me: purple/blue TT striker 1/4 oz = yellowbelly; yellow/black TT striker 1/8oz = big mama cod; white/purple TT tornado 1/4oz = baby cod. For Ryan it was the purple and black spinnerbait that got his big mama cod - you'd had to ask him about the bass...not sure about those. I think Ryan's right that any spinnerbait works - it's just a matter of getting it in the zone and presenting it right. I can't sort out what I'm doing right or wrong with retrieves because I always seem to get onto a fish when I start daydreaming and just enjoying the scenery :laugh: Size est on the cods were that the big ones went about 50 cm, and the yellowbelly was about 40 cm. Very buggered and sore today, but always enjoy Stanley trips, and you all know that Ryan's a top bloke to have for company.

juls

It was pretty interesting with the three Cod, they certainly took some coaxing to strike at the spinnerbaits. Juls' first Cod was pulled out of a snag that I had already thrown a few casts into. My Cod had repeated go's at my spinnerbait before hooking, even then, it was about the seventh cast into that particular snag. Juls' last Cod only got interested after we were at this one snag for 15-20 minutes or so. It seems they are pretty shy!

The small bass were caught on spinnerbait.

Fantastic day out, the Stanley is proving to be harder work at the moment, due to the amount of water flowing through, with a great deal of debris both under the water and along the bank. Fish are few and far between......Good hard fishing!

Thanks for the company Juls, always good fun.

Ryan.

Yeah good point - that's why I got them when I was day dreaming because it meant that I was just casting repeatedly into one area instead of being proactive and looking for an ideal spot to cast. I think this happened with Ryan as well, but got a few bumps on previous casts before actually getting the hit. Thought they were yellas missing the bite, but the yellas weren't to be seen!

chris_stewart14 wrote:

Angus wrote:
Sensational guys.

Most anglers in SE QLD would not consider a session that includes 3 MRC a slow one!!!

Angus

Agreed!!! Ripper session guys.. Most people would flog all day for one of those. Well done to the both of you.

We did flog all day haha! :laugh: Didn't get out of there until 4ish, so it was about 9 hours on the river. Agree with everyone though - all worth it!

Hey Steve, I only use spinnerbaits because my lure collection only consists of three spinnerbaits and don't actually know how to use a hb :) Also because it seems to work so well. Ryan has some hardbodies but didn't get any hits this time. I know he got some bass on his first stanley trip on hbs. It's very snaggy throughout the whole thing so I think spinnerbaits would get out of snags easier. We both still did quite a bit of swimming to retrieve lures though.

The Caboolture Stocking Group, along with DPI and the Noosa Cod Hatchery have done a good job so far and hats off to all of them. With the Cod Hatcheries future in doubt, lets hope if things happen for the worst the stocked fish get a chance to form a self perpetuating population. If it works we can strike another tick in the box for volunteers making a big difference to our fisheries.

In fact if you are enjoying the Stanley experience, you might consider a mercy membership with either the Caboolture or Noosa Groups to keep them going.

tobie10 wrote:

Hey Steve, I only use spinnerbaits because my lure collection only consists of three spinnerbaits and don't actually know how to use a hb :) Also because it seems to work so well. Ryan has some hardbodies but didn't get any hits this time. I know he got some bass on his first stanley trip on hbs. It's very snaggy throughout the whole thing so I think spinnerbaits would get out of snags easier. We both still did quite a bit of swimming to retrieve lures though.

yeah thanks tobie. I wouldn't mind trying some surface lures in there in the shadows though...

-Steve.

Archived