Australia Day Mackerel

Biggles

Rumours of mackerel arriving at Caloundra didn't take a rocket scientist to work out what I was going to do today. My old partners in crime Lee and Terry were keen for our first get together for 2010, it's been about 8 months since we last hit some water together. We new that to get a spot at the Kings Beach ramp today we had to be there early, so it was a 4am start for us just before the sun starting peering over the horizon. I received a text from Lee around 2:30am that went something like this, I drank too much last night and am not able to drive, have fun. And then there were 2 of us.

On arrival at the ramp we saw Brian (paddleparra) and Damo (Stictho), who had similar ideas to ourselves. We all shoved off around first light and made a be line directly to the blinker, I wanted a snapper for dinner and I told Midget I wasn't interested in the busting birds for at least an hour (I lied).

We arrived at the blinker, rigged for soft plastics and started looking for a summer snapper. About 20 mins into our plastic session Midget says to me, (I'm finding it very hard to sit here when we could be out there), referring to to the turns going nuts about 200mtrs further East. No longer that said and the entire water round us erupted with Mac Tuna smashing the bait fish and that was the end of plastic fishing.

For the next few hours we chased and chased and chased busting fish everywhere but weren't getting many hook ups. We decided to give the Mac Tuna a miss and went looking for the schools of Spotted Mackerel who weren't anywhere near the main bust ups, and we found them, isolated and cranky.

Midget had some great fun with a very agitated shark that kept him very busy for at last 30mins. He wouldn't even answer his mobile when I rang to say every cast was a good spotty.

All up I acquired 9 spotty's for the morning, 2 monsters that knocked the slug from their mouth when they smacked their heads against the yak, somebody else had my gaff at the time whilst playing with his shark :mad1: We kept a couple each for a feed and let the rest go to keep growing big and strong.

Today was the best Australia Day fishing I have had for a while, thanks for the company Terry, sucked in Lee :P , lol.

Al P1260001.JPG

The bloody idiot had himself and three of his kids lapping around across the Boat Ramp,

Where the hell am I suppose to come in? On the rocks?

His response "You're in kayak mate, you dont need a boat ramp"

3 nice spotties for me, and a 1.4m Shark to boot. Hurrah! Cheers for the day al, was great.

Just make sure the freighter is moving... If Al sees a ship its 'Keep an eye on that one'... Yep, he's anchored and hasn't moved in the last 1.5 hrs... :laugh:

Was a good kayak today. Went to the blinker, then out a little further (would be close to max distance for no EPIRB), then over towards Rapers and Currimundi Reef. Many kms travelled in search of some great fish.

Some great sights, like the water errupting all around my kayak with birds working hard. Too bad the tuna weren't playing.

Then we would have been in line with Rapers', but more towards Currimundi.

THAKEENESTFLATHEADANGLER wrote:

there some good lookin fish there mate did they taste good??

Nah, had some for dinner tonight and it was bloody terrible :woohoo: don't try any as it will make you sick :ohmy:

ok, I lied :blush: it is AWESOME :cheer:

Knowing Midget he probably left his in the boot of the car :P

Al

with mackerel the shorter they r on the line and killing them quick then bleeding ,iced down the better they r. i also wash the fillets in an salt water ice slurry they freeze and defrost like fresh always keep them cool Bri The Pom wrote:

Do they freeze ok Terry????.

Archived