north stradbroke island 19th to 21st march

tugger

going to amity point on stradie in march and i've checked out the bungalos on the beach there which i'll look at booking 1 and i think stradiebrad was looking at another. if i can't get a cabin or bungalo there's always the tent sites which r straight off the beach. if anyone is interested let us know here and after booking accomodation will sort out places. plenty of fishing to be had around this part of the bay and south passage bar is very close for any offshore action

mark

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i also suggest we have a few gps spots to give out to people goin outside so if any want to meet up, they know where to find each other, also some marks to meet up b4 goin through the bar, if done by a few boats at a time. these should be given out once at straddie, not posted, as to confusing for some.

tugger wrote:

checked out some bungalos for a 2 night stay it works out to $33 a night per person for 5 people with barge fee inclusive

Hey Mark you'll have to careful when working out the cost per person if your talking about the cabins at Amity. The ensuite cabins say they sleep 5 but thats a double bed, a fold out couch that sleeps 2 and a single. The other cabins say they sleep 5, but that's a double bed and 3 singles, but you can't sleep an adult on the top single. So unless someone's bringing a partner, they really on sleep 3 seperately unless you want to share a bed with one of your AFO buddies.

Brad and I will be staying in a cabin(if we can book one) so we will have room for 2 other people if they want to share the cost. Brad & I will most probably put in at raby bay and drive over. For those who don't have boats, they can catch a water taxi from cleveland and people with boats can pick them up from dunwich. Its only a short trip from Amity to Dunwich.

Campsites are available for those who don't want to spend money on a cabin.

Amity Point

Peak Daily

Unpowered Sites

Site fee $33.00

Powered Sites

Site fee $38.50

Extra adult $10.00

Extra child* $7.50

# Site fee includes first two adults .................WTF

ferry

Standard car + 4wd $135.00 return - including passengers

so 201 $ or 212 $.

for a camp site .

stuff that better to get a cabin and squeeze in .

the deal tugger talking about

or just go by myself and join in with some others .

its not a long way over from cleveland, maybe you could all head over in your boats rather than pay the ferry fare, find a nice spot on one of the hidden beaches and take it from there.

Ive done it myself before with the missus, we just head over from Manly and camp on the beach at Peel Island (Which costs nothing) horseshoe bay is a great place for a rest and a drink. Dunwich is about 5 minutes across from Peel if you need Food, Beer , Bait or whatever.

Based at Peel there are plenty of places to fish close by, there are some green zones on the other side of Peel, ive caught some nice Flathead, Whiting and sharks in the Rainbow Channel and apart from all that, its only a short run up the Rainbow Channel to Amity Point anyway.

If you did it that way, you would save on ferry costs, not have to worry about cars and launching boats all weekend, Horseshoe bay is a great anchorage and very hard to beach your boat, there is also public amenities block on Peel but im not sure if theres showers though.

So all you do is load all your boats with camping gear needed and launch from Cleveland and leave cars and trailers behind, if you have any problems with anyones boats, there will be enough people to tow a broken down boat as well.

Just an idea guys....cheers Beejay P.S I didnt think about fuel for the boats but im sure you can get it from dunwich but might be a bit of a hassle, might have to take extra fuel along as well.

Yeah sorry tugger, was just an idea...lol I do alot of work on the islands subcontracting for the redlands council and I know how exhorbatent those barge fees can get, and I thought they charged extra to tow boats as well.

Anyway the trip sounds pretty good, I will probably just head over to Peel myself and catch up with you guys out on the water...Cheers Beejay

tugger wrote:

the parks i've been in it's standard for a camp site fee only includes 2 people anymore r extras and $38 for a powered camp site is cheaper than the gold coast parks i guess u pay the price if u really want to go

30 to 40 $ is about the average in caravan parks ,waterfront and power.

i just put the prices in for comparison to a cabin .

cabin seam a better deal .

better bang for buck.

last year all the parks i checked on and went too where still 2 adults 2 kids.

just checked a few and they seam to have all changed to just 2 adults.

not very family friendly .

i could handle the 2 adults and 2 kids and pay for 4 extra kids or get 2 sites .

but this 2 adult thing they can get stuffed .

would be better off getting a cabin or house for 5.

if its only really sleep 3 or 4 comfortable take a air bed or 2 or a stretcher .

barge fee included .

seams the way to go .

tugger wrote:

a few of us have done these camps now 3 to 4 and would like a bit of comfort on this 1 so we r looking at some bungalos or cabins right on the beach and they throw in barge fees as a package
righto, if we take these bungalows, they include the price of da barge? if so book me in scotty, and if i take the haines, i have to pay for that as an extra, i can deal wit dat! B)

Davo,

I took my boat over to Peel a cuppla days after New Years, there were people camped all the way along the beach at Horse Shoe Bay.

Ive never camped there myself but I made a point of asking some people that were camped if they had permits or needed permits and they told me that you didnt need anything.

I looked it up just now and Peel Island is classified as a National Park/ Reserve which is what you said, but as for paying, there isnt any toll that I know of, but maybe im wrong...cheers mate Beejay

yeah had a look ,look like u need them now .

/>http://www.derm.qld.gov.au/media-room/2008/03/m01236.html

people prob just turn up and camp ,that what it was like ,just do as they did .

if the ranger don't patrol the bay and ask for permits etc ,that's his problem .:)

they would want to have some more bins and toilets,for people to pay ,i reckon.

3 sets of toilets along horseshoe bay and 1 at Platypus bay .

its been a few years since i was there.

2006 i think.

noname wrote:

tugger wrote:
a few of us have done these camps now 3 to 4 and would like a bit of comfort on this 1 so we r looking at some bungalos or cabins right on the beach and they throw in barge fees as a package
righto, if we take these bungalows, they include the price of da barge? if so book me in scotty, and if i take the haines, i have to pay for that as an extra, i can deal wit dat! B)

Checked today - the bungalows are a better choice as they sleep more people but unfortunately they are booked on the 20/03/2010.

I just checked with Amity Point Caravan Park and there are 6 ensuite cabins available. that would be 1 double bed a fold out couch and 2 singles. That would equate to $69.80 per person without the barge.

Brad and I will most probably drive over in the boat and moor out the front of the caravan park (done it before it's OK). I am definately getting a cabin. There is no need to catch the barge - too expensive just for the weekend.

As I said before, if you don't have a boat catch a water taxi over and someone can pick you up from dunwich.

so i got this sussed .

from cleveland to dunwich ,going close to peel about 15 km.

from dunwich to amity point about another 15 km .

so about 30 km all up .

i worked out i do between 5 and 10 km a hr .

depending on current and wave high /wind etc .

so 3 to 6 hrs to do the trip.

hahaha only jokin bugger that ,i'm not even that mad .

Davo_Dinkum wrote:

so i got this sussed .

so about 30 km all up .

tow the tinny behind one of the bigger boats maybe

straddiebrad wrote:

Davo_Dinkum wrote:
so i got this sussed .

so about 30 km all up .

tow the tinny behind one of the bigger boats maybe

yeah thought about that .

prob just easier to be a decky and share a cabin with some 1 .

got a few weeks to sort it all out .

so was talking with scott he keen for another trip.

so now to get things sussed .

get dad to take the boat out and him me and scott go .

or

backup plan

me and scott and my tinny borrow the 15 off dad ,as long as the weather is good run across and up straddie .

we will just camp i reckon,lookin at the park map ,unpowered water front site/close to the water site.

getting dad to take the boat out is the better option cause he will be up for going outside .

tugger wrote:

your in mooky r u keen to fish outside if the weather is good :X

yeah, will be fine. will take me pills and hopefully chuck and get over it!

if not will just pass out in the cab!

either way - wouldnt miss it!

are you heading over in the boat or on the barge?

dont really want to take my car over!

Archived