boat rock stradie

tugger

got out early this morning and was at the bar at first light and had a good run all the way to the spot then dropped the anchor for a bit of reef action. sent a floating pillie out for pelagics then rigged up my float line for the reefies first drop i was on with a small snapper. every drop there was a fish on and after the first 10 minutes i had a big hit while i was still free spooling down it turned out to be a 6 to 7 kilo spangeled emporor. the boys were going a bit slower than me with pananoster rigs so i convinced them to start float lining and it worked for them straight away. we ended up with 7 snapper 1 tusk fish 1 red throat emperor and 4 spangeled emporor then we up anchor and trolled for 2 hours more. towards the end of trolling we boated a nice spanish mackerel to top the morning off, lost at least 2 to 3 unstopables each while still anchored so the action was thick all morning

mark IMG_1965.JPG

OH nice one mark :woohoo: :woohoo: top trip mate got to be happy with that!!

looks like ya got fotm well done. B) you deserve it after that effort of trolling.

I actually was tinking about you this morning wondering how you were going out there.I too was working on a big concrete pour down clevland this morning and there wasn't a breath of wind and hot as and thought how lucky is mark to be out there today.lucky bugger :)

mick

yeah first legal red throat for me in southern qld he went today 43cm

Angus wrote:

Awesome work!

Nice Spangled and good to see a legal Red Throat. All the red throats I have caught out there seem to be just under...

Nice FOTM entry as well.

Angus

yeah we were going to do more trolling but the reef fish wanted to play big time never had to move once they all came to us on anchor so only trolled for 2 hours lots of wahoo and spanish caught around us , the unstopables were stripping line and couldn't turn there heads at all some of the snapper came up with big slashes on them so could have been spanish mackerel and wes i know i smell like mackerel when i'm finished for the day

wesfish wrote:

you have done it again mark!!! awesome session with such quality fish, do the mackeral just smell you or something :laugh: andd can not resist lol wonder what the unstoppables were ?

Awesome catch mate - great spanglies and the bonus Spaniard I bet made your day. Quick (and possibly silly ...) question - by float lining do you mean simply not using a sinker, suspending your bait a few metres off the bottom with a float, or something else? Am getting a 14ft tinny in a couple of weeks and keen to hit up the close islands in the bay so trying to remember the nuances of reef fishing (only fishing I normally do is when I am up with the family in Mackay).

Cheers, Kelvin.

float lining is using the smallest sinker you can get away with it doesn't need to hit the bottom a number 2 or 3 ball sinker is ideal for outside and running down onto your hooks i prefer circle hooks and keep feeding it out till they strike then put the reel in gear and reel em in. with circle hooks you have plenty of time as you don't need to set the hooks when they first bite and we were getting them on pilchards they left the squid alone. i was threading the pillie from tail first and setting the hook point just behind the head with a half hitch around the tail to keep the bait straight

mark

kmcrosby78 wrote:

Awesome catch mate - great spanglies and the bonus Spaniard I bet made your day. Quick (and possibly silly ...) question - by float lining do you mean simply not using a sinker, suspending your bait a few metres off the bottom with a float, or something else? Am getting a 14ft tinny in a couple of weeks and keen to hit up the close islands in the bay so trying to remember the nuances of reef fishing (only fishing I normally do is when I am up with the family in Mackay).

Cheers, Kelvin.

a 6inch papala that looks like a slimie mackerel have had it for nearly 20 years so i don't know the name of it but i know it works its caught heaps of spanish and shows it with teeth marks in it everywhere

straddiebrad wrote:

well done mark great fish what lure did you get the mack on,next weekend for me i hope.

Archived